Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2018, 02:06 PM   #26
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Foam is for between stands and tanks for wall on bottom glass tanks with no trim. It supports the tank from pressure points.

Putting foam on the floor under the stand isn't going to really do much, you need to shim. Also, shimming only needs to be done under vertical members on wood framed stands and around the entire stand if the stand is a ply construction without a frame.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 02:45 PM   #27
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

All you people against foam, with all your excuses against it, do realise that I'm talking about polystyrene foam, and people have been putting their tanks on top of thin sheets of it, successfully, for years!

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 02:49 PM   #28
BrettDS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
All you people against foam, with all your excuses against it, do realise that I'm talking about polystyrene foam, and people have been putting their tanks on top of thin sheets of it, successfully, for years!

Right, but putting the foam between the tank and the stand is totally different than putting the foam between the stand and the floor.

If there are minor imperfections in the stand surface or small protrusions then the these will press into the surface of the foam and it will protect the tank, but putting foam between the tank and the stand won’t level the tank at all which is what we are trying to do here.

As I said above, trying to level the stand with foam will not work. Either the foam will be too soft and there will be no support on the low spots or it will be too stiff and it won’t compress enough on the high spots.

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 03:06 PM   #29
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDS View Post
Right, but putting the foam between the tank and the stand is totally different than putting the foam between the stand and the floor.

If there are minor imperfections in the stand surface or small protrusions then the these will press into the surface of the foam and it will protect the tank, but putting foam between the tank and the stand won’t level the tank at all which is what we are trying to do here.
No, its not what the OP is trying to do.

The OP said "Problem is my floor is tile and the tiles are not level from one to the next"

The OP has stated that his floor, overall, >> is << level, and the uneven tiles are the specific problem. And using styro foam on top of these uneven tiles, with a sheet of plywood on top of the foam, will perform the same function as when the foam is used directly under the tank.

Unread 03/08/2018, 05:41 PM   #30
Lsufan
Registered Member

I wasn’t saying the idea would not work because I’m sure u could make it work that way. All I’m saying is it is unnecessary. If the floor is level but the uneven tile is making the stand rock, slide a shim under the corner that isn’t touching the tile & u are done. It would take about 30 seconds & your finished. Once it isn’t rocking then add a couple more shims if they are needed.

If the tile guy installed uneven tile then I would think it isn’t level eighther. It depends on the size of the tank but it is rare that the floor is perfectly level & the stand doesn’t need to be leveled atleast 1/8” or so. Especially on a bad tile job

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 06:25 PM   #31
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I wasn’t saying the idea would not work because I’m sure u could make it work that way. All I’m saying is it is unnecessary. If the floor is level but the uneven tile is making the stand rock, slide a shim under the corner that isn’t touching the tile & u are done. It would take about 30 seconds & your finished. Once it isn’t rocking then add a couple more shims if they are needed.
The OP says- "Stand is a Marineland cabinet style with the circumference contacting the floor."

His stand is not 4 points contacting the floor. The entire circunference of the cabinet is touching the floor,,, or supposed to be.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg floors tiles two.jpg (16.9 KB, 34 views)
Unread 03/08/2018, 06:58 PM   #32
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Not to put gasoline on the fire, but I believe Twinfallz has a valid point.

Technically, (on paper) the foam-and-plywood method should work.

If the floor is perfectly level, but the only problem is uneven tiles, the foam should fill in the gaps and work well - as illustrated.

This also has the advantage of keeping the wooden stand off the floor, preventing moisture from damaging the wood. It will also prevent damage to the floor from the weight of the tank. I actually did this when I installed tanks on customer's hardwood floors. I only used foam, and not plywood, but I believe plywood would actually work better.

The weight of the tank will prevent it from being wobbly over the styro.

I have had Styofoam™ sheets under tanks for decades and have never seen it loose it's sponginess.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 08:15 PM   #33
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not against foam, I just understand it's purpose and what it does, I'm a contractor that's been doing cabinets and kitchens for many years, and often that means very large islands or peninsula's w/ very heavy granite or other stone.

Those companies would not gaurantee their products if I just laid a sheet of foam down, and believe me, if I thought it would work, it would make my job that much easier.

Our tanks are very much the same principle, and I bet if you contacted the tanks manufacturer they would require a shimmed level cabinet, and some will require foam padding between tank and cabinet to alleviate pressure points of minor surface deviations.

THAT part I agree has been done many years(depending on tank manufacturer)

I know the foam under a stand may sound like a good idea, but it's not, shims are needed at floor, and foam may be used between tank and stand, and that will vary among tank manufacturers, and usually that is for non trimmed tanks where glass is in direct contact w/ surface of stand only, a protective barrier between the two, NOT TO LEVEL.

If you had a tank that was 1/4" low on one side, no matter how many sheets of foam you put under it, it will still be 1/4" out of level.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD

Last edited by davocean; 03/08/2018 at 08:33 PM.
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 08:31 PM   #34
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
I'm not against foam, I just understand it's purpose and what it does, I'm a contractor that's been doing cabinets and kitchens for many years, and often that means very large islands or peninsula's w/ very heavy granite or other stone.

Those companies would not gaurantee their products if I just laid a sheet of foam down, and believe me, if I thought it would work, it would make my job that much easier.

Our tanks are very much the same principle, and I bet if you contacted the tanks manufacturer they would require a shimmed level cabinet, and some will require foam padding between tank and cabinet to alleviate pressure points of minor surface deviations.

THAT part I agree has been done many years(depending on tank manufacturer)

I know the foam under a stand may sound like a good idea, but it's not, shims are needed at floor, and foam may be used between tank and stand, and that will vary among tank manufacturers, and usually that is for non trimmed tanks where glass is in direct contact w/ surface of stand only, a protective barrier between the two, NOT TO LEVEL.
Well then davo, using your logic, no one should ever have an aquarium on a floating timber floor, because they have foam underlay!

Yes, a sub-floor, then foam, then timber tiles.

Unread 03/08/2018, 08:32 PM   #35
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Wow lots of action on this thread, wish my build thread was as popular.
Ok so I get the foam not providing support on the low spots cause potential stress points. That made me think and now I dont think my foam idea was that great. Shimming it will be and it how I did it when I used to do aquarium installs, just thought I had a light bulb moment. Yes foam under the tank is a good idea especially if the tank has no plastic frame. Thanks for all the help and input. Shims are on my ever grow Homedopt list.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 08:37 PM   #36
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Well then davo, using your logic, no one should ever have an aquarium on a floating timber floor, because they have foam underlay!

Yes, a sub-floor, then foam, then timber tiles.

They do not put a foam underlayment under wood flooring to level it, it is used for sound buffering and moisture barrier, the flooring will always ride the surface below, what the floor is will still be projected to the flooring, thus if your floor was a half inch low on one side, it will still be a half inch out of level, that does not change from foam.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 03/08/2018, 08:44 PM   #37
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Wow lots of action on this thread, wish my build thread was as popular.
Ok so I get the foam not providing support on the low spots cause potential stress points. That made me think and now I dont think my foam idea was that great. Shimming it will be and it how I did it when I used to do aquarium installs, just thought I had a light bulb moment. Yes foam under the tank is a good idea especially if the tank has no plastic frame. Thanks for all the help and input. Shims are on my ever grow Homedopt list.
When in doubt, contact your tank manufacturer, they are the ones that make the final call on what gaurantee they provide, and this goes for both stand, and whether or not to use foam between the tank and stand, each manufacturer will vary on that depending on tank design.

Unread 03/08/2018, 08:48 PM   #38
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
They do not put a foam underlayment under wood flooring to level it,
Never said they did. But its still ... floor - foam - ply

Quote:
the flooring will always ride the surface below, what the floor is will still be projected to the flooring, thus if your floor was a half inch low on one side, it will still be a half inch out of level, that does not change from foam.
The OP said his floor was level overall, so the foam is used to take away the uneveness of the individual tiles.

Would work perfectly well!

Unread 03/08/2018, 08:55 PM   #39
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Ok so I get the foam not providing support on the low spots cause potential stress points.
Shimming it will
You do what you thinks right,,, but the foam would depress into the low spots and the ply on top of the foam will be in full contact with the cabinet. NO STRESS POINTS

Shimming a cabinet in just the corners, when its meant to have its full circumpherence in contact with the floor, will put stress on the entire structure.

Anyhows, I've had my say.

Good luck.

Unread 03/08/2018, 08:55 PM   #40
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Never said they did. But its still ... floor - foam - ply

The OP said his floor was level overall, so the foam is used to take away the uneveness of the individual tiles.

Would work perfectly well!
I gaurantee you it won't, but feel free to do that w/ your own tank, I will still stick to my advice to anyone wanting the correct answer.

I'm done w/ this topic.

Unread 03/08/2018, 09:06 PM   #41
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Quote:
The OP says- "Stand is a Marineland cabinet style with the circumference contacting the floor."

His stand is not 4 points contacting the floor. The entire circunference of the cabinet is touching the floor,,, or supposed to be.

Dam see them I read other posts and my idea seem legit and fuctional. I guess I just need to go look at the stand to floor contact to make a fine plan of attack. I dont want a visable plywood sheet under the stand either, figured black foam yoga or shop mat would not be an eye sore. Teeter tooter is cause by under 1/8" mor like 1/16" uneven tile ed ness.

So good info here on both sides of the discussion.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 09:16 PM   #42
RCS82
Registered Member

If the stand is like the one in the diagram above then a shim in each corner is all that's needed. If there is a 200 gallon sump full of live rock going in the stand then I would add a center shim also for good measure.

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 09:21 PM   #43
Fish on
Registered Member

Ok I have a stupid question. If the floor is actually level, but one tile sticks ups more than the one next to it, wouldn't that make the stand not level? So if the foam is just meant to relieve pressure points and not to level the stand, wouldn't it still be out of level?

Fish on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 10:11 PM   #44
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on View Post
Ok I have a stupid question. If the floor is actually level, but one tile sticks ups more than the one next to it, wouldn't that make the stand not level? So if the foam is just meant to relieve pressure points and not to level the stand, wouldn't it still be out of level?
How do I word this so it can be understood easily?

We're talking minor differences between individual tiles I believe.

If the predominance of the tiles were approximately the same height overall, with only one of two high spots - responsible
for the rocking, the weight on top of the >ply - foam < would pressure force a levelling. The high spots would sink into the foam.
The majority of tiles the the same height would dominate. And with ply on top, the entirity of the cabinet will be in contact with the floor it's sitting on.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiles 3.jpg (19.1 KB, 31 views)
Unread 03/08/2018, 10:18 PM   #45
Dsekula
Registered Member

I used a 1" thick piece of foam insulation between the stand and tank for mine. Fill and wait a day or two for areas to compress then check again. Mine was leveled out after about a week but was 90% in two days. Haven't had any issues yet but only lives here three years.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote