Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2018, 06:15 AM   #1
dtroiani
Registered Member

Cobalt C-ray 200 Good or Bad?

I recently came across this light and was wondering how good the light is. Really I am interested in the par distribution and color it has to offer. I really like that it has the moonlighting around the pucks to distribute light through the tank. I would be putting this on a 90 gallon that is 48” long and would be a mixed reef. Would love to hear if anyone has heard anything about this light!

dtroiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 04:57 PM   #2
dtroiani
Registered Member

Anyone with a review on this product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/06/2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Never heard of it before your post. Maybe a link to the product would help.

https://www.cobaltaquatics.com/produ...=1252096147485

The people at Cobalt sure seem to thing it's the best led fixture ever made.

Personally, I wouldn't consider an $800 fixture unless I've seen it in person, especially with the very unique led design.

Unread 03/06/2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Bent
I got nothin'

Looks like an ap700 clone.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 09:32 AM   #5
jayball
Registered Member

They have nothing on spectrum/LED selection and one PAR chart at 12 inches. Not enough information to drop 800 dollars on compared to an AP700 or a pair of smaller high end LED fixtures at the same price.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 10:34 AM   #6
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
They have nothing on spectrum/LED selection and one PAR chart at 12 inches. Not enough information to drop 800 dollars on compared to an AP700 or a pair of smaller high end LED fixtures at the same price.
I agree with Jayball,, let some one else do the testing

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 03:35 PM   #7
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post

Personally, I wouldn't consider an $800 fixture unless I've seen it in person, especially with the very unique led design.
I might consider it if the manufacturer provided detailed specs, such as diode choices, PAR charts at multiple points of measure, programming examples, etc. It looks quite promising to be honest, but how do they justify not stepping up with more than a few details of basic design?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Looks like an ap700 clone.
It does, but the "fill" LED strip and halo moonlights are a nice touch, along with the add-on single mounting arm, but they need more specific details/ specs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
Yeah, how they thought that it would be better to not offer more specific details is beyond me...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 05:44 PM   #8
dtroiani
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
I might consider it if the manufacturer provided detailed specs, such as diode choices, PAR charts at multiple points of measure, programming examples, etc. It looks quite promising to be honest, but how do they justify not stepping up with more than a few details of basic design?!

It does, but the "fill" LED strip and halo moonlights are a nice touch, along with the add-on single mounting arm, but they need more specific details/ specs!

Yeah, how they thought that it would be better to not offer more specific details is beyond me...

I would agree! They don’t really supply any additional information in regards to lighting or a review. I wish they would do a walk through. I’m interested to see the par spread. I am not wanting to buy 2 of these to go over my 90 gallon. I do like the shimmer though of the kessil. I am interested to see how the app works. Talked to BRS and they will be getting the product to test in the upcoming months.

I really wish that the 90 gallon didn’t have the middle brace bar

Unread 03/06/2018, 05:49 PM   #9
dtroiani
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post

I went to a LFS and they had these over a 4 ft tank and it had an excellent appearance! The shimmer was great and similar to that of the kessil. Very interested. Just don’t know how the spread would look with that middle brace bar. It is controllable by an app and the app appeared to work very well! You can control individual spectrums. They do make some great accusations in regards to the par levels though.

The 90 gallon is difficult due to you have to get 2 lights. Wish that kessil had a light that penetrates more similar to the 360

Unread 03/08/2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Bent
I got nothin'

BRS has them now

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquar...roducts_030818

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 08:15 AM   #11
jayball
Registered Member

So out of curiosity I downloaded the app. They have a spectral chart representing the channel intensity you choose. They have 4 main channels, cool white, violet/ royal blue, royal blue/ blue, and violet/Royal blue/ deep red so basically white, deep blue, bright blue and purple. Low power warm white and cool blue for the warming bar and moonlight. Looks like a really nice light on paper but I can not see it selling for that price from a company not known for lighting. Maybe if it was a bit cheaper and offered a better warranty.

Sent using Tapatalk.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 12:52 PM   #12
brad65ford
Registered Member

Agree love the light but not going to spend that kind of coin with out long term use from others similar to as Kessil has behind their back. Bringing a product like this (looks great btw) and coming to the market at the same price as a respected company like Kessil imo they'd need to come down in price to be a better option for those willing to be beta testers.

Unread 07/22/2018, 05:21 AM   #13
extra3d
Registered Member

Update?

extra3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2018, 09:00 AM   #14
brad65ford
Registered Member

Still learning and dialing her it. Its very different the Kessil regarding look of the light color itself and use. Over all its a solid light thus far.

Unread 09/29/2018, 02:23 PM   #15
momakmak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Still learning and dialing her it. Its very different the Kessil regarding look of the light color itself and use. Over all its a solid light thus far.
Any updates? Pics? Coral growth? Its impossible to find good info on this light. Only one guy on brs reviewed it saying its hands down better then ap700. I might have to get one just because it seems so rare. Im a sucker.

momakmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 02:27 PM   #16
brad65ford
Registered Member

sorry no updates, tank / corals took a while to get used to these lights. Attempted multiple different settings but left it currently on its "standard" light schedule and system is responding well, colors of colors are coming back too. Sorry no pics to back this up. Its far far different light output / look compared to Kessil. I thought it would be similar to Kessil but its not. Not that that is a bad thing just stating this.

Unread 10/24/2018, 12:07 PM   #17
Ardeus
Registered Member

I got the European version (from Aqua Medic) and I have only one negative point: it's by far the loudest equipment in my tank, I can no longer hear my hang on back skimmer.

Ardeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 12:16 AM   #18
Gorgok
Registered Member

Just for giggles i looked at the 'marketing wank' they have on their site. I liked the revolutionary cooling one... i mean technically a turning fan is revolutionary, so its not a lie, but whats so special about it? It sucks and blows?

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 03:42 AM   #19
Rafty
Registered Member

I have three of these over my 1000 litre tank. Corals seem to like it and makes everything look vibrant. Overall I am very happy with light. Only issue I have is I have not been able to get it to connect to my router. I would be interested to hear if anyone has managed to do this. Like many of these products from China their manuals are really bad.

Rafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 06:21 AM   #20
Ardeus
Registered Member

I managed to connect mine (it's the european version) but it's far from a straightforward process. My guess is that you have follow the steps extremely slowly. I needed maybe 8 or 10 tries. From that moment on, it stayed paired with my phone, no problems since then.

Unread 02/09/2019, 06:23 AM   #21
Rafty
Registered Member

Could you detail exactly what you did? I have tried so many times without luck.

Unread 02/09/2019, 06:42 AM   #22
Ardeus
Registered Member

Here's the manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...QQapoij8iJ_jr6

You start with pressing the 2 buttons for a few seconds (Up and Channels) and the fixture beeps and wifi leds flashes twice. I think you may need to wait a couple of minutes here before proceeding.

From that moment, in the app you must select connect to router. I had to do this many times, restarting the app each time. That's why I think you need to give some time after turning the wifi on on the fixture. It will ask you for the wifi password of your router.

You can also connect the phone directly to the fixture (Down and Channel buttons)

Unread 02/09/2019, 06:44 AM   #23
Rafty
Registered Member

Yes I have all that and followed it exactly without success. Looks like I should just continue trying until it works.

Unread 02/09/2019, 06:47 AM   #24
Ardeus
Registered Member

I already did it 3 times and every time it required many attemps and restarting the app. That's why I think there is some waiting time required somewhere along the steps.

Unread 02/12/2019, 08:49 AM   #25
bckey
Registered Member

BRS is closing these lights out at half price. Mounts also. You can get a C-Ray 200 with mount for $450. Normally it would cost you $900. So far BRS is the only retailer closing these out.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquar...-aquatics.html

bckey is offline   Reply With Quote