Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2018, 01:46 PM   #1
reenact12321
Registered Member

Tall hood or lighting change?

I've had my 40B reef for about 3 years now. It's become very stable and maintainable, even after I had to move it to my new home last year. (cracked sump, but it all turned out alright).

Finally owning a home and wanting to decorate, I've grown a little tired of having essentially a science-fair project in my living room and want to dress it up. Some of that is simple enough, build a door/cover for the front, replace the sides with some finished panels and trim (i'm fairly handy with a saw). Move the electrical inside and you're mostly home on the stand.

Where I run into trouble is the lights and wanting to put a hood. As amusing as it is to my neighbors that it looks like aliens are invading my living room every morning and evening, I'd like more of the light in the tank, and less on my walls and ceiling.

Currently my LEDs - 2 x ocean revive arctic t247. are running great, the tank is growing really well, but I have to keep them turned down to Blues - 20% and other colors at like 12% and you can see from the picture they're up about 14-15 inches.

No store-bought hood, or really even most people's DIY designs, are going to accommodate that much relief off the tank.

Would anyone have suggestions on how to either lower the lights without burning everything, or to build a tall hood to accommodate these lights?

reenact12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 02:07 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I guarantee you can lower the lights to ~6" off the water (or less even) then just build a canopy based off that..
Why.. because I used to have the exact same setup (40b and 2 x OR lights) and it worked just fine..
Not sure if I have pics but I literally just made a box with 1x6 material and then the lights just sat right on top of that.. (Used aluminum angle iron to create a nest that they sat right in)
No more "alien invasion"

I'm quite positive I likely ran more than the 20/12% too..

Unread 03/08/2018, 03:07 PM   #3
reenact12321
Registered Member

Okay, thanks. I just found when i've adjusted the lights up, some things bleach, I'll try lowering them over a few days/weeks while I draw up plans for the hood. I like the angle aluminum idea.

reenact12321 is offline   Reply With Quote