Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2018, 12:45 PM   #26
mcgyvr
Registered Member

My whole point is that if I'm just passing water through a sump at a rate higher than the filtration system can process it is just using more electricity than needed...
Not sure how that one is up for debate..

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding or not following frogmanx/ca1ore's points here..
I was never talking about making a skimmer less or more efficient.. At the rates we are discussing here the effect on the actual efficiency of the skimmer is so minimal its not even worth talking about..

But the electricity savings of running a sump at 2x vs 10x can be quite substantial..

I'm quickly seeing this post.. like the ones before it will really get nowhere.. so it was fun.. but thats it for me..

Unread 03/08/2018, 09:14 PM   #27
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Well it’s been interesting for me because I’m reevaluating how much flow I really need. Fortunately I have a dc pump and am thinking about dialing back from the roughly 400 gph on a 90 gallon tank. 2x is probably plenty.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 08:00 AM   #28
mitch91175
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
The skimmer is most efficient the dirtier the water its in. The faster the flow through the sump the dirtier the water in the skimmer section will be. The question then is how fast does the skimmer remove proteins from the water and at 3x vs 5x vs 10x is there a significant difference in the protein content in the skimmer section at steady state. My guess is that it would be insignificant.

For me I like to run less water as it keeps the whole system less stressed so 3x is good for me and I just adjust the skimmer to get a good skimmate. Matching flow rates to me is a useless exercise.
Feel the same way. When I plumbed my setup I didn't think one bit about head loss, angles, etc. I plumbed my setup with what I thought was best to maximize space under the aquarium. I then just purchased a return pump that I felt was the best for me and that had a good rated GPH and called it a day. I did go higher on the GPH simply because I use my return to feed a manifold with 3 outlets. That was the only reason I personally worried about flow rate/GPH. I do not even measure the amount of flow going through the reactors (at the moment). I just adjusted each outlet on the manifold to what looked like a good rate based on how the media tumbles in the reactor.

mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:23 AM   #29
gabe145
Registered Member

I know with coral tanks there is the saying of 10 times the tank capacity. Yet, with FOWLR I am not sure if you'd want less.

gabe145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 11:22 AM   #30
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe145 View Post
I know with coral tanks there is the saying of 10 times the tank capacity. Yet, with FOWLR I am not sure if you'd want less.
That 10x number is flow accomplished by something like a koralia water fan. Not really a pump.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 11:07 AM   #31
Trigger Tough
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
That 10x number is flow accomplished by something like a koralia water fan. Not really a pump.
My MP40 provides the flow in the tank, that’s why the return pump can be adjusted as low as I want

Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 11:08 AM   #32
Trigger Tough
Registered Member

^^^That was for gabe145

Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 07:18 PM   #33
rhinonm
Registered Member

I run a high 3k-3.5k gph (dct 15000, 4000 gph) through 2 x 1" returns @ 200 gallons. I like higher sump turnover for 3 reasons. Helps filter more water through filter socks, on cold nights keeps tank warm (heater in sump), and it adds to overall flow of the aquarium.

I agree though, it doesn't help skimmer performance.

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS
rhinonm is offline   Reply With Quote