Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2018, 11:54 AM   #26
devimik
Registered Member

I think some good advice would be to slow down as you seem to be moving way too fast for a tank up 2 months. Nothing happens quickly in the reef tank world - slow and steady will be better than trying to rush things. Many reefers here have the experience with Chromis that no matter how many you add, you'll eventually end up with 1. Some have had good experiences with large numbers of them, but my experience, after trying multiple times, is I end up with none.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 03:00 PM   #27
hammertime55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devimik View Post
I think some good advice would be to slow down as you seem to be moving way too fast for a tank up 2 months. Nothing happens quickly in the reef tank world - slow and steady will be better than trying to rush things. Many reefers here have the experience with Chromis that no matter how many you add, you'll eventually end up with 1. Some have had good experiences with large numbers of them, but my experience, after trying multiple times, is I end up with none.
It's been a slow start, first the aiptasia. File fish wiped them out completely except for one that's stuck in the bottom of the overflow. Not sure how to get it without freaking it out and shooting off more of them. Its in a corner under the sponge filter!

Then I added 2 clowns. File fish killed them. Add 2 more same result. Put file fish in qt tank and it starved to death, would not eat food.

Then added the group of damsels thinking maybe if a group of them entered at same time would be non territorial. As I say that I'm watching a Green one chasing another Green one! How do you ever get more than 1 fish at a time to not kill each other?!

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

hammertime55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 06:28 PM   #28
devimik
Registered Member

One thing you could do on the remaining aiptasia is cover it with reef epoxy/putty, or hit it with aiptasia X if you can reach it.

It is extremely odd that a file fish would kill clownfish. Not sure I'd add any fish now, or for a while - see how many you end up with in another month or two.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 10:32 AM   #29
hammertime55
Registered Member

Did a 36% water change and nitrates dropped some. They were around 40ppm before the water change. First I turned up the skimmer speed and that alone dropped it to around 20ish. Lesson learned there. After the water chenge it's now somewhere between 15-20ish depending on how you read the color chart. I looked at in indirect outdoor light.

I'm making more water now and will do another 40% change in couple days.

Livestock is thinning itself down to 2 blue damsels and the 4 green damsels along with the lawnmower. I'm sure I will only have 1 blue left soon.

Unread 04/24/2018, 10:33 AM   #30
hammertime55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime55 View Post
Did a 36% water change and nitrates dropped some. They were around 40ppm before the water change. First I turned up the skimmer speed and that alone dropped it to around 20ish. Lesson learned there. After the water chenge it's now somewhere between 15-20ish depending on how you read the color chart. I looked at in indirect outdoor light.

I'm making more water now and will do another 40% change in couple days.

Livestock is thinning itself down to 2 blue damsels and the 4 green damsels along with the lawnmower. I'm sure I will only have 1 blue left soon.
I got the last aptasia while the vaccum tube.

Unread 05/13/2018, 09:23 AM   #31
hammertime55
Registered Member

Tank has really turned around and is doing well now with nirtrates in the 5-10 range. Best tank has looked since starting it and going through all the newbie aches. I think getting the flow worked out has been the best thing so far as to keeping the algea and cyno in check. Have the return outlet y'd off to hit the front and back glass and the powerheads on the sides aimes at the front glass at angles. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk6wiiuzsw...t01-1.jpg?dl=0

Unread 05/14/2018, 04:25 PM   #32
Rjukan
Day Dreamer

IMO add a black or blue background, really showcases the rockwork that way.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal Deep Blue cube, AquaC EV180, Kessil H80 fuge, A360WE TB
Rjukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2018, 01:10 PM   #33
Trigger Tough
Registered Member

You can do either a Kole Tang or Tomini Tang in a tank that size. I’ve had both. They’re great fish just do one or the other not both

Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote