Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2018, 11:20 PM   #2876
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
Thanks, Vin.
I talked to Spectrapure and I'm doing it.
If it works, Litermeter seems a rather inexpensive alternative to other options.
Give it a try but I think a few others have given it a shot and it didn't work as well. I think they had a hard time dialing in the gas because the ph constantly fluctuated in the reactor. IMO it probably could work with some patience but please report back with your experience.

The kamoer calcium reactor pump looks like a promising alternative. Going to make it over to bigbluetang's house this weekend, he got his hands on one.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2018, 11:23 PM   #2877
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCindy View Post
I'm loving my new-to-me Masterflex. However, if the power goes out I have to manually restart it. Is there a setting change I can make to prevent me having to do this? Unfortunately, my power went out briefly one day and I didn't notice that the pump was not running until 2 days later. Now I find myself checking on it daily.
Try this.

Quote:
Automatic Start Enable/Disable (INTernal mode only) Press and hold STOP/START on power-up. After five (5) seconds, display will change to all dashes. Then, while holding STOP/START, press PRIME five (5) times. Display will flash "ON" or "OFF". Use UP/DOWN (▲, ▼) arrow keys to set automatic start option. Press any other key to exit. When "ON" is selected, pump will start automatically at power-up if it was "ON" when powered down.

Unread 05/10/2018, 12:12 AM   #2878
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
The kamoer calcium reactor pump looks like a promising alternative. Going to make it over to bigbluetang's house this weekend, he got his hands on one.
Mines still working well. I have it changed around to pull through the reactor at 50mL/m. I suppose at some point I'll measure the output and see what it's actually doing.

On a side note, what have folks done to connect the 1/4" RO tubing to the inputs and outputs of pumps like the kamoer that just have barbed surgical tubing connections? Trying to figure out how to get a air/water tight connection.

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 12:20 AM   #2879
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
Mines still working well. I have it changed around to pull through the reactor at 50mL/m. I suppose at some point I'll measure the output and see what it's actually doing.

On a side note, what have folks done to connect the 1/4" RO tubing to the inputs and outputs of pumps like the kamoer that just have barbed surgical tubing connections? Trying to figure out how to get a air/water tight connection.
I've found the 1/4" vinyl tube from HD works well in the push to fit connections. Probably force it over the barbs and then use the clamps I link in the first page. Will update my findings after this weekend. That is actually one reason I am going over is to find an air leak...

Unread 05/10/2018, 12:25 AM   #2880
networkcrasher
Registered Member

I currently have some 3/8" silicone going over the 1/4" RO tubing, and then a reducing barb between the 3/8" silicone and some 1/4" silicone, which connects to the pump. It's sketchy but as far as I can tell, it's tight (used some wire ties along the way too)

Unread 05/10/2018, 07:42 AM   #2881
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Caught a sale on the Kaomer last weekend & placed an order.

Unread 05/10/2018, 11:01 AM   #2882
mic209
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, Vin.
I talked to Spectrapure and I'm doing it.
If it works, Litermeter seems a rather inexpensive alternative to other options.
I talked to Spectrapure on FB the other day and they hinted that they have a continuous duty pump in the works, no details though.

mic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 01:33 PM   #2883
africangrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic209 View Post
I talked to Spectrapure on FB the other day and they hinted that they have a continuous duty pump in the works, no details though.
was told the same thing a year ago when I called, wonder when it will be actualized.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 05:35 PM   #2884
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic209 View Post
I wish they would have mentioned that to me!
THANKS!

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 05:37 PM   #2885
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by africangrey View Post
was told the same thing a year ago when I called, wonder when it will be actualized.
O brother.
Thanks again. I can't wait around- I'm adding a pump head to my existing Litermeter next week.

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 06:00 PM   #2886
mic209
Registered Member

Quote:
I wish they would have mentioned that to me!
THANKS!
Well I doubt it would be coming out any time soon.

mic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 08:10 PM   #2887
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Caught a sale on the Kaomer last weekend & placed an order.
@Vinny Kreyling- I’ve had the Kaomer continuous duty pump for over 2 years and its the best think I’ve ever added to my CaRx. Where did you find one? I want a spare!!!,!

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 09:14 PM   #2888
networkcrasher
Registered Member

We’re discussing the new kamoer pump, the fx-stp

Unread 05/11/2018, 09:54 AM   #2889
vitodog
Registered Member

Red face Probably a silly question - Please indulge me

So I have been reading this thread for a few days now and i'm currently on page 40. I have to say that I am so thankful for this thread. I have learned so much from it. I purchased a Masterflex 7550-30 to work with my Geo 612 reactor. I know the peristaltic pump replaces the feeder pump, I just want to make sure I start this up correctly. Do I just place the input end of the pump in my sump and in this way it replaces the feeder pump? Or does it go on the effluent end of my reactor and replaces the needle valve? How is the tank water drawn into the reactor? If possible, can someone post a picture showing how I the reactor.

Unread 05/11/2018, 09:56 AM   #2890
vitodog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitodog View Post
So I have been reading this thread for a few days now and i'm currently on page 40. I have to say that I am so thankful for this thread. I have learned so much from it. I purchased a Masterflex 7550-30 to work with my Geo 612 reactor. I know the peristaltic pump replaces the feeder pump, I just want to make sure I start this up correctly. Do I just place the input end of the pump in my sump and in this way it replaces the feeder pump? Or does it go on the effluent end of my reactor and replaces the needle valve? How is the tank water drawn into the reactor? If possible, can someone post a picture showing how I the reactor.
Sorry, how I feed the reactor

Unread 05/11/2018, 10:50 AM   #2891
AquamanE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkcrasher View Post
We’re discussing the new kamoer pump, the fx-stp
OMG. excellent news that they have a new one. Thank you!!

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 11:21 AM   #2892
yellojello
Registered Member

Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Quote:
Sorry, how I feed the reactor

You can do either way. Push from sump and into reactor effluent in or Pull from effluent out to sump.

yellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 12:13 PM   #2893
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks yellowjello, if I pull out from effluent, how is reactor being fed? Its probably my old brain, but I can't see how I'm supplying my tank water through the reactor.

Unread 05/11/2018, 12:40 PM   #2894
networkcrasher
Registered Member

just drop the input pipe into the sump. if you pull from the effluent line, it'll draw from the input pipe that's in the sump. the pump on the reactor just recirculates the co2 internally, nothing else.

Unread 05/11/2018, 12:41 PM   #2895
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks yellowjello, if I pull out from effluent, how is reactor being fed? Its probably my old brain, but I can't see how I'm supplying my tank water through the reactor.
What he means is that if you pull, the pump is connected to the effluent side of the reactor. The intake line going into the calcium reactor remains submerged in the sump so that when pump is on, it pulls the water from the sump through the reactor and then into the pump at which point the pump pushes the water from the reactor it back to the sump.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 01:09 PM   #2896
vitodog
Registered Member

Thanks guys. It was just hard for me to see the Masterflex pulling enough water from my sump to keep the reactor full. Seems easy enough.

Unread 05/11/2018, 02:14 PM   #2897
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks guys. It was just hard for me to see the Masterflex pulling enough water from my sump to keep the reactor full. Seems easy enough.
The could pull water from your sump a block away. LOL.. They are very powerful and produce a pretty decent amount of pressure. Also, keep in mind that water enters the reactor low and exits the reactor at or above the top so water won’t leave the reactor without it being completely full. Personally, I prefer pushing instead of pulling just because it eliminates potential vacuum leaks and if there is a leak under pressure, it’s easy to spot because of the water drips but either way will work just fine. I originally set mine up to pull before switching to push. My reactor is setup in my shed outside. The tubing runs in through the wall and about 10’ to the sump and pulling let alone pushing back and forth to/from the sump has never been an issue with my Masterflex.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 05/11/2018, 03:35 PM   #2898
vitodog
Registered Member

Thank you slief. How would my reactor be set up to push instead of pull?

Unread 05/11/2018, 03:39 PM   #2899
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you slief. How would my reactor be set up to push instead of pull?
You put the pump in front of the reactor so that the pump pulls from the sump and pushes into the intake of the reactor.

Unread 05/11/2018, 06:04 PM   #2900
vitodog
Registered Member

Thank you slief, much appreciated.