Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/29/2018, 01:46 PM   #51
npierce1015
Registered Member

What does the ammonia help with in starting a tank?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

npierce1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2018, 08:34 PM   #52
DougSupreme
Registered Member

I'm doing a major upgrade to my tank (going from 75 to 250G) I have a bunch of dry rock that i am going to use, but I am also planning on reusing the rock currently in my tank.

Should i take one of the rock currently in my tank, put it in a container with the rest and let it cycle? How long?

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2018, 07:29 PM   #53
ReefJak
Registered Member

I tried to fit 1 lb per gallon in my tank and it was 75%full and just looked like stacked rock

ReefJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2018, 08:15 AM   #54
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npierce1015 View Post
What does the ammonia help with in starting a tank?

The ammonia feeds the bacteria to start your cycle

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2018, 09:08 AM   #55
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSupreme View Post
I'm doing a major upgrade to my tank (going from 75 to 250G) I have a bunch of dry rock that i am going to use, but I am also planning on reusing the rock currently in my tank.

Should i take one of the rock currently in my tank, put it in a container with the rest and let it cycle? How long?
Great idea. Let them soak together for a month. That should give the bacteria plenty of time to spread. You could drop a table shrimp in there for food to increase the bacteria. No need to worry about nitrates since the water will not go in the DT.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2018, 09:16 AM   #56
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefJak View Post
I tried to fit 1 lb per gallon in my tank and it was 75%full and just looked like stacked rock
Ya prob not the best look. You have other options for filtration and waste break down. Macro algae in the sump, filter socks....ect. Dont forget the water changes. Take some rock and move it into your sump. Works the same there and in the DT. The 1 lb per gallon is figuring you have a well stocked tank and feed it well. If you can stay away from overstocking you do not need that much rock. For example I have 18 fish in my 500 gal tank. none are over 3 inches. Most being 1" to 2". Thats about 1 fish per 25 gallons.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2018, 09:18 AM   #57
npierce1015
Registered Member

Thank you for the response. I'm new to this whole reef addiction

npierce1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2018, 04:34 PM   #58
Tyler438
Registered Member

Dry rock has been in my fishes tank for about 5 weeks now. I decided to let it cycle while clowns were in QT. Ammonia and nitrites are both 0, but nitrates are really high somewhere between 40-80ppm. I have been doing 12% water changes each week and nitrates don't seem to be moving. What is my next step? Clowns can't go back in with the nitrates this high correct?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tyler438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2018, 05:36 AM   #59
Dugthefish
Registered Member

Ok, when I had my last reef 15 years ago, almost all our rock was freshly imported. Now, it seems as though the SOP is to build a base with mostly dry rock and seed it with a few pieces of live. What ratio is preferred? I like a lot of rock, so I was thinking maybe 100# dry and 50# Florida aquaculture

Dugthefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live rock live sand