Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2018, 07:09 AM   #1
Shaummy
Registered Member

Help me decide Photon fixtures

Hey All,

My old LED fixtures power supply/controller finally gave up the ghost after many years and they are no longer available.

So I have decided on replacing them with Reefbreeders Photon fixtures. My tank is a standard 90gal 4ft long that has some LPS and SPS in it. I have the LPS moved out towards the corners/ends of the tank to help keep them from getting too much light.

My question is, should I replace them with 2 16" Photon fixtures, or just go for the 48" Photon?

With my current setup of 2x16" and the way I have them hung over the tank, I can move them side to side if needed, but if I get the 48" I won't really be able to do that. I know I can get great coverage of the entire tank with the 48, but I worry that I might bleach out the LPS if I have to up the intensity for some SPS.

Here's a pic of how I have the current fixtures set up:

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef, hermits, snails,Lyretail Anthias,Orange back Fairy Wrasse,Blue Reef Chromis,small blue tang, Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma
Shaummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 10:03 AM   #2
JTL
Registered Member

My tank is 48 long and 24 front to back. I have the Photon v2+ and like it. The coverage is perfect and I position my corals up or down to depending on light needs. They are very nice looking and you would not really need a hood.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Shaummy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
My tank is 48 long and 24 front to back. I have the Photon v2+ and like it. The coverage is perfect and I position my corals up or down to depending on light needs. They are very nice looking and you would not really need a hood.
Thanks for the response...my worry is that the LPS is already at the bottom of the tank...can't get any lower and if I have to crank up the V2 to satisfy the SPS, then it may get too much PAR at the bottom?

Today I can move the fixtures left and right a bit and adjust how much light the corners are getting. The hood/canopy is decorative so it'll be staying.

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef, hermits, snails,Lyretail Anthias,Orange back Fairy Wrasse,Blue Reef Chromis,small blue tang, Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma
Unread 06/13/2018, 10:51 AM   #4
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaummy View Post
Thanks for the response...my worry is that the LPS is already at the bottom of the tank...can't get any lower and if I have to crank up the V2 to satisfy the SPS, then it may get too much PAR at the bottom?

Today I can move the fixtures left and right a bit and adjust how much light the corners are getting. The hood/canopy is decorative so it'll be staying.
Here is nice tool that Logan at Reef Breeders developed to estimate PAR values at various intensities. This light will definately grow both SPS and LPS.

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx 2018 Photon V2 PAR Estimator.xlsx (13.1 KB, 18 views)

Unread 06/14/2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You should use the 32" model.
That leaves you 9" on each side, actually even less since the cord come out the end & it has to be accounted for on spacing.
I have 2 over my 72" tank with no problems.

Unread 06/14/2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Where is my thinking?????,
you would only need 1 but still enough.
IMHO

Unread 06/14/2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Shaummy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Where is my thinking?????,
you would only need 1 but still enough.
IMHO
I thought about the 32...but since I'm going to be limited to the height I can have them (due to the canopy) I think I would end up with some very dark areas...darker than even the LPS would want.

The fixtures in the picture above are about 6" off the water and while the V2 is thinner, I'm sure I could eek out a couple more inches since the V2 is thinner than my old fixtures.

Unread 06/14/2018, 01:43 PM   #8
JTL
Registered Member

All I can add is that I have a 48" tank with the Photon v2 8" off the water and it works for both sps and lps with good coverage and no noticeable light spill. Ron Reefman had a 60" tank and had great success growing all types of corals using the 50" Photon v2.

Unread 06/14/2018, 05:43 PM   #9
Lsufan
Registered Member

If u use the 48” model u can use the legs that come with it & do away with the pvc u have your lights hanging from. If u want the fixture a little higher then the stick legs then u can place a board on each end similar to what u have now & let the legs sit on top of the board. I don’t have a photon, but if I was in your shoes I would just get the 48” model

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 05:46 PM   #10
Lsufan
Registered Member

I couldn’t edit my post but with the 48” u can use the legs, have less wires to hide & only have to program one fixture instead of two. For those reasons I would get the 48”. The only time I would get two is if I had a 72” tank.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 08:39 PM   #11
RLM60
Registered Member

I am currently using the 48" Photon 2 over my standard 75 gal tank and it will work great on your 90 with no shadow from the center brace. I also had a canopy with 2 AI sol blues before, but since I swapped to the photon I removed the canopy so I could place my lights higher since I'm running about twice the amount of LEDs now and I didn't want to bleach my lps on the sand. HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RLM60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 07:32 AM   #12
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM60 View Post
I am currently using the 48" Photon 2 over my standard 75 gal tank and it will work great on your 90 with no shadow from the center brace. I also had a canopy with 2 AI sol blues before, but since I swapped to the photon I removed the canopy so I could place my lights higher since I'm running about twice the amount of LEDs now and I didn't want to bleach my lps on the sand. HTH

What are you running the lights at during the peak period. I am at 0,0,50,15.50,50 for red, green blue, white, blue, violet. Lights are 8" off the water and my peak period is 4 hours mid day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk