Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2018, 05:01 AM   #1
Deberber
Registered Member

10 Gal Reef - College Set Up

Hey guys, so not new to the hobby but I have been in college for past 2 years and just getting an apartment, so I’ll actually be able to put time into a tank again. I’m looking on setting up a 10 gal nano reef. I’ve never been too keen on equipment so I am wondering if some of you all can point me out to some of the cheaper options (since still in college) of filters, lights and power heads, and whatever else, that can still make the tank look nice. Also feel free to give some fish and coral suggestions! Super excited to get everything set up for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deberber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 07:04 AM   #2
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

For a 10g I wouldn't go crazy with equipment. Live rock will be your filter so get the most pourous you can find. Add a power head for flow and a heater. Water changes will be your friend. When I had a 5 gallon tank I would replace a solo cups worth twice a week. I did have an ATO on my 5 gallon though, it was an AIO tank so I put it in the last chamber.

Lighting would depend on your budget. I'd go LED since long term you don't have to spend money on bulbs.

For coral I'd go with ones that don't mind slightly dirty water like zoa's, shrooms, frogspawn, hammer.

For fish, maybe a clown

I always wanted to Dremel a marinepure block to look like live rock but I got a new job so I shut down the 5g before I could try it. It was an office tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Deberber
Registered Member

I was wondering if there’s any hang on the back filter that would work with water changes once a week?

Deberber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberber View Post
I was wondering if there’s any hang on the back filter that would work with water changes once a week?

If you must you can get a HOB carbon reactor to keep your water polished. I have an aquamaxx on my 26g and I love it, but I'm not sure - that's just more room taken up for the pump in a 10 gallon.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote