Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Jordan00
Registered Member

filter sock alternative

im looking for a DIY filter sock alternative something that i can just throw away instead of cleaning it. Since i will be throwing it away i want it to be efficient as in using the least amount of material as possible. please throw some ideas out there and we all can colab on this.

Jordan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 09:31 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

I'd love to offer a suggestion, but have not ever used one. I just don't see the need.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Sharpimage
Registered Member

You can sew your own. There are simple plans around. They end up being pennies a piece. When I ran socks, I did them that way. There are plans on rc for them

Sharpimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Jordan00
Registered Member

I like to run high nutrient systems so filter socks are kinda a must. they do take alot of leftover food out of the water. My biggest problem with filter socks is cleaning them and im not alowed to put them in the wash nore do i really trust it

Unread 10/01/2018, 01:45 AM   #5
Tastee
Registered Member

I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 and use their micron socks. These are a breeze to clean under fresh water and whilst they have darkened in the 12 months I’ve had the tank I don’t think they need any more cleaning than that. I’ll be getting a couple of replacements soon, but only in case one of them develops a tear. At the moment they look fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 07:55 AM   #6
McPuff
Registered Member

Go to a fabric store and buy some quit batting (polyester). It's cheap, you can create a small rack to simply hold it in place under your overflow tube. It'll catch a lot of debris and then you can throw it out after a week or however long it takes to foul.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 10:59 AM   #7
Jordan00
Registered Member

thanks for the Idea McPuff ill be trying that

Unread 10/01/2018, 11:28 AM   #8
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I've been sewing disposable socks for 4 years now.

if you do not have a sewing machine, you can get a portable one for like $10-$15, good enough for sewing filter sock.

If you have a local Joann Fabric store, wait for their 70% off coupon, then buy a whole bolt (10 yards) for under $25 and that will make 180 4" socks. If you change weekly, that will last over 3 years. cost comes to no more than 25 cents per sock. and you get a brand new sock every week. you can never wash a dirty sock back to brand new clean, no matter how you do it.

if you sew your own, then you can control how much material you want to use, so there is no excess or unused portion before you throw it away.

I even make sock for 4" ring but the body is expanded another 6" so I have a bigger bag. I use this when I go out of town for over a week. otherwise, a regular 4" sock will start overflowing after 8 or 9 days. The larger bag can last two whole weeks.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 12:55 PM   #9
DreadCapn
Registered Member

I fell behind on power washing my socks out a few months ago, and used filter floss as a stop gap measure.

I still haven't switched back and really don't see any reason to.

Avast Pegleg Skimmer
DreadCapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 12:59 PM   #10
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I've been sewing disposable socks for 4 years now.
Do you by chance have a template for the 4" and 4" ring/6" sock?

What do you use on top to hold them in place? I have a sump that holds (2) 4" socks, and can not use a bag style. 14" are too long 8" are too short. 10"-12"
would work perfect. This I can adjust on my own.

TIA

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2018, 01:13 PM   #11
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I use the plastic ring from the old filter sock. Just cut off the fabric.
Then I punch 4 holes around the ring, just large enough to thread a zip tie.

for 4" sock, I cut 12" x 12" fabric, fold in half then sew the long side and short side to make the bag. The opening is large enough to fit in the plastic ring, then with an icepick, I punch a hole through the fabric, and thread the zip tie through the 4 holes to hold the sock to the ring.

for larger bag on 4" ring, I cut 18"x 12" fabric. sew the top portion so it will have the same opening size as the 4" bag. Then just sew the side and bottom to close the bag. Hang the same way. so if you can picture it, the bag will extend out about 3" (6" extra width folded in half) past the ring. So its like you have a 4" ring with a fat bag.

these are pictures when I used 6" socks, but idea is the same. you can get creative and customize it as you go.

Unread 10/01/2018, 01:20 PM   #12
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Thanks!

Shall have to give it a try.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2018, 07:03 AM   #13
johno4
Registered Member

What fabric are you using? Felt?

johno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2018, 08:23 AM   #14
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Depending how fine of a filter you are looking for, old fashioned generic ladies knee hi nylons can be bought in multi-packs and just use a rubber band to attach to the bottom of your overflow pipe.

I do this for a few hours when stirring up the substrate, scrubbing rocks, or anything that causes a lot of stuff floating around the tank.

It has been harder to find these at the local dollar store lately. Likely because no one buys them for anything other than a wet filter in their shop vac.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2018, 08:41 AM   #15
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno4 View Post
What fabric are you using? Felt?
yes.

https://www.joann.com/craft-felt-fab.../prd10007.html

Unread 10/02/2018, 09:40 AM   #16
johno4
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks

johno4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2018, 08:13 PM   #17
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Do your DIY socks give the skimmer overflow problem that other socks have?

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2018, 09:20 AM   #18
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
Do your DIY socks give the skimmer overflow problem that other socks have?
it's just like installing a new sock or even a newly washed sock.
I keep the skimmer off for a few minutes after installing the new sock.

Unread 10/04/2018, 08:55 PM   #19
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
it's just like installing a new sock or even a newly washed sock.
I keep the skimmer off for a few minutes after installing the new sock.
Thank you

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2018, 07:55 PM   #20
EvenFurther
Registered Member

Here's an alternative to socks, a filter pad tray. The pads can be individually cut from a giant bulk roll of filter media.

This is my flow-over filter pad tray.

Unread 10/10/2018, 06:02 AM   #21
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenFurther View Post
Here's an alternative to socks, a filter pad tray. The pads can be individually cut from a giant bulk roll of filter media.

This is my flow-over filter pad tray.

I like this a lot. May actually re-make my "contraption" to something more like this. Really don't like cleaning socks anyway. :0)

Unread 10/14/2018, 10:20 AM   #22
JTL
Registered Member

I did something similar to McPuff but mine is longer. I am still experimenting with the flow over the filter. So far I am liking it. It helps with the noise if you have your return pipe go into water before the filter.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0674.jpg (40.3 KB, 38 views)

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 08:08 AM   #23
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
I did something similar to McPuff but mine is longer. I am still experimenting with the flow over the filter. So far I am liking it. It helps with the noise if you have your return pipe go into water before the filter.
Having the pipe enter the water also makes it possible to have a siphon on your drain line. If you haven't done this yet, you should definitely consider it (if you're able). You'd need an emergency drain of course.

I plan to make a new "sump box" to accommodate this new design feature. I think it will actually work better for me compared to the sock. And this current design was supposed to be a prototype anyway... 3 years ago. :0)

Unread 10/15/2018, 08:20 AM   #24
JTL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Having the pipe enter the water also makes it possible to have a siphon on your drain line. If you haven't done this yet, you should definitely consider it (if you're able). You'd need an emergency drain of course.

I plan to make a new "sump box" to accommodate this new design feature. I think it will actually work better for me compared to the sock. And this current design was supposed to be a prototype anyway... 3 years ago. :0)
Actually you don't need the drain pipe under water to have a siphon, you just need to have the other end under water. The purpose of having the drain under water is too make it quiet...think Bean Animal

I cut down the length of my filter area since the water was not reaching the other end. My plan today is to play with some different drain configurations in the tray holding the filter to try and get the entire pad under water and draining. This will require smaller holes under the pad reducing the flow through in anyone spot. Anyway that is what I think, subject to change later.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 08:41 AM   #25
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
Actually you don't need the drain pipe under water to have a siphon, you just need to have the other end under water. The purpose of having the drain under water is too make it quiet...think Bean Animal

I cut down the length of my filter area since the water was not reaching the other end. My plan today is to play with some different drain configurations in the tray holding the filter to try and get the entire pad under water and draining. This will require smaller holes under the pad reducing the flow through in anyone spot. Anyway that is what I think, subject to change later.
Yes, that's true.

As for the placement of the filter pad, my plan is to put it lower than the "overflow" (where water is entering the box itself). Mine is more like a miniature sump with baffles. As long as there is a baffle forcing water to go down through the media (i.e., the opening has to be below the media) you'll be good. Now I'm looking forward to buying some more acrylic so I can get to work on this! :0)