Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2019, 08:43 PM   #1
johnm92172
Registered Member

What to do?

I just bought a 3/4 cylinder tank. This will be a saltwater fish only, and need advise for lighting. The tank is 36" deep, 30" across, and about 27 front to back. I have a Kessil A360X which seems dim for this tank on its own, and a Hydra 26. I was considering another a360x, but the price is getting out of hand. Would the Hydra 26 be a better fit than the Kessil? Or should I use them both?

johnm92172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2019, 07:16 AM   #2
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

36 tall...damn... make sure you have tonnes of surface agitation, and take that into account when choosing your light, the cresting water will greatly effect how much light enters the tank... mind you fish only doesn't require a tonne of light... does the tank have a canopy? If so just use both lights.

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2019, 07:22 AM   #3
johnm92172
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
36 tall...damn... make sure you have tonnes of surface agitation, and take that into account when choosing your light, the cresting water will greatly effect how much light enters the tank... mind you fish only doesn't require a tonne of light... does the tank have a canopy? If so just use both lights.
I'm using a single VORTECH MP40WQD for circulation. The tank has a full wood top 15" high to match the bas.

Unread 03/17/2019, 07:42 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its a fish only tank...They dont need any light so its all down to your personal preference as to how "bright" you need it to be...
For me I'm quite sure that either one of those would be plenty bright if it were my tank.. Buts yours...decision is ALL you..

Unread 03/17/2019, 07:50 AM   #5
johnm92172
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Its a fish only tank...They dont need any light so its all down to your personal preference as to how "bright" you need it to be...
For me I'm quite sure that either one of those would be plenty bright if it were my tank.. Buts yours...decision is ALL you..
Right, I agree, but I dont want it to look too dark in there. I put the a360x about 6" over the tank without water though, and it looked dim. Maybe because theres no water in there?

Unread 03/17/2019, 09:24 AM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

For a deep tank, a few 360NE’s would be my first choice. That or position the 360x in the center and set it to a more white light setting. That will help some with the brightness. Your tanks dimensions don’t lend itself well to the Hydras and the 360 since the 360 should be in the center and the hydras will waste a lot of light on the sides of the tank. They also aren’t great for deep tanks due to their spread and lack of a narrow optic unlike the 360NE’s which are a narrow beam that will easily penetrate deeper.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2019, 12:23 PM   #7
johnm92172
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
For a deep tank, a few 360NE’s would be my first choice. That or position the 360x in the center and set it to a more white light setting. That will help some with the brightness. Your tanks dimensions don’t lend itself well to the Hydras and the 360 since the 360 should be in the center and the hydras will waste a lot of light on the sides of the tank. They also aren’t great for deep tanks due to their spread and lack of a narrow optic unlike the 360NE’s which are a narrow beam that will easily penetrate deeper.
How about using the reflector for the 360x that should help.

Unread 03/17/2019, 12:28 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm92172 View Post
How about using the reflector for the 360x that should help.
I am sure it would since it narrows the beam but you would still need more than one given the diameter and the depth. Especially with the narrow optic in the reflector.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydra 26, kessil a360x, lighting