Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2018, 11:52 PM   #2176
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Scarus quoyi scratched my acrylic tank always so he had gone

Greetings Torben

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 10:12 AM   #2177
biecacka
Registered Member

Great looking fish additions scott!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 04:49 PM   #2178
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Torben View Post
Scarus quoyi scratched my acrylic tank always so he had gone
I think you just made up my mind!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:02 PM   #2179
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Beautiful fish Scott!

pmrossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2020, 08:29 AM   #2180
slief
RC Sponsor

It’s been along time since I posted an update to this thread. Up until very recently the tank had been in cruise control with not much new to update. Livestock was all doing well and coral all doing well. We very recently made a decision to sell our home & move Montana and finally found a home this last December that we really like on a great 1.58 acre riverfront property in a killer location. We flew out there December 21st to check it out. We put our offer in on December 23 and found out Christmas Eve just as our plane landed back in LA (still on the tarmac) that our offer was accepted. It was the best Christmas gift ever! I already had our house out here on the market. New Year’s Eve we got an offer on the house here that we couldn’t refuse but the buyers did not want the tank. Livestock was sold very quickly and within a handful of days the tank was drained and removed from the wall and construction began to reassemble the fish room back into a bedroom.

This weekend we pack up the house, load the truck and drive off into the sunset to our new riverfront home in Montana just outside of Whitefish. It’s long been my dream (over 30 years of dreaming) to move to Western Montana and it seems as though dreams do come true. Back in the early 80’s I went to boarding school in Western Montana and I’ve wanted to move there ever since. This place has a great river (Stillwater river) running right through the back yard. There is lower Stillwater lake 1000’ up stream and we are in the middle of the Stillwater national forest yet we have an airport, Costco, Walmart, Best Buy etc all with 25-30 minutes from us in Kalispell Mt. A ski resort in Whitefish is 15 minutes away and Glacier National Park 35 minutes away. Terrific fly fishing for big native trout and pike in my backyard and a lake packed with all kinds of fish basically next door. Cost of living is a fraction of what it is out here which will put years back on my life due to stress reduction and I get to enjoy 4 real seasons.

I’ve got my dream property but the house is kind of a nightmare but I knew that going in. It’s a fixer upper that was priced right. The property owner is carrying us for a couple years and we put a very minimal down payment. The upside is that once we finish the remodel, we will be in a VERY equitable position on the place.The house was foreclosed on a year and a half ago and left empty for the last year and a half so it needs a lot of work. A realtor bought it last year with the plans of doing it but decided not to and put it on the market.

I flew out there this last week and remove walls drywall ceilings insulation etc. to begin the process of a full remodel and get it ready for our move in. A lot of progress was made during the 6 days I was out there but the remodel will take me several months or more to complete as I will be doing most of the work myself. There will likely be a reef tank in the future but it will be at least a year out & it likely won’t be as large due to the floor plan and crawl space below the house instead of a concrete slab foundation.

I will remain active on the forum and will be here daily as I always enjoy helping others and I will continue to work for Royal Excluvis as well as my other aquarium related endeavors. You can subscribe to my Youtube channel to see what I am doing in Montana (including the remodel) and follow along on some of my new adventures out there of which there will be many.

Below is the final video of my reef tank. A video showing my new back yard as well as a picture of the house both taken this last week.

So this is my final video on my reef tank. This was taken a couple weeks ago.

Here is a video I took last week showing our new backyard. I love the snow in case you were wondering.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1A932458-260D-4DD1-9187-D0A0A555F501.jpg (86.4 KB, 65 views)

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 01/24/2020 at 08:39 AM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2020, 09:01 AM   #2181
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
It’s been along time since I posted an update to this thread. Up until very recently the tank had been in cruise control with not much new to update. Livestock was all doing well and coral all doing well. We very recently made a decision to sell our home & move Montana and finally found a home this last December that we really like on a great 1.58 acre riverfront property in a killer location. We flew out there December 21st to check it out. We put our offer in on December 23 and found out Christmas Eve just as our plane landed back in LA (still on the tarmac) that our offer was accepted. It was the best Christmas gift ever! I already had our house out here on the market. New Year’s Eve we got an offer on the house here that we couldn’t refuse but the buyers did not want the tank. Livestock was sold very quickly and within a handful of days the tank was drained and removed from the wall and construction began to reassemble the fish room back into a bedroom.

This weekend we pack up the house, load the truck and drive off into the sunset to our new riverfront home in Montana just outside of Whitefish. It’s long been my dream (over 30 years of dreaming) to move to Western Montana and it seems as though dreams do come true. Back in the early 80’s I went to boarding school in Western Montana and I’ve wanted to move there ever since. This place has a great river (Stillwater river) running right through the back yard. There is lower Stillwater lake 1000’ up stream and we are in the middle of the Stillwater national forest yet we have an airport, Costco, Walmart, Best Buy etc all with 25-30 minutes from us in Kalispell Mt. A ski resort in Whitefish is 15 minutes away and Glacier National Park 35 minutes away. Terrific fly fishing for big native trout and pike in my backyard and a lake packed with all kinds of fish basically next door. Cost of living is a fraction of what it is out here which will put years back on my life due to stress reduction and I get to enjoy 4 real seasons.

I’ve got my dream property but the house is kind of a nightmare but I knew that going in. It’s a fixer upper that was priced right. The property owner is carrying us for a couple years and we put a very minimal down payment. The upside is that once we finish the remodel, we will be in a VERY equitable position on the place.The house was foreclosed on a year and a half ago and left empty for the last year and a half so it needs a lot of work. A realtor bought it last year with the plans of doing it but decided not to and put it on the market.

I flew out there this last week and remove walls drywall ceilings insulation etc. to begin the process of a full remodel and get it ready for our move in. A lot of progress was made during the 6 days I was out there but the remodel will take me several months or more to complete as I will be doing most of the work myself. There will likely be a reef tank in the future but it will be at least a year out & it likely won’t be as large due to the floor plan and crawl space below the house instead of a concrete slab foundation.

I will remain active on the forum and will be here daily as I always enjoy helping others and I will continue to work for Royal Excluvis as well as my other aquarium related endeavors. You can subscribe to my Youtube channel to see what I am doing in Montana (including the remodel) and follow along on some of my new adventures out there of which there will be many.

Below is the final video of my reef tank. A video showing my new back yard as well as a picture of the house both taken this last week.

So this is my final video on my reef tank. This was taken a couple weeks ago.

Here is a video I took last week showing our new backyard. I love the snow in case you were wondering.
What a sweet place you have in Montana! #goals

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2020, 09:27 AM   #2182
JLynn
Registered Member

So sad to see it go! It's really rare that a home reef lasts 13 whole years; you've achieved what every reefer strives for!

Congrats on the new house. It's gonna be beautiful. Whenever you get your next reef going, please post a link to it's build thread on this thread, so everyone who has admired this tank can go enjoy the journey of your next one, too!

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2020, 09:28 AM   #2183
reefwiser
Registered Member

Scott enjoy the wide open skies. I know you will love the fresh air.

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2020, 10:16 AM   #2184
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynn View Post
So sad to see it go! It's really rare that a home reef lasts 13 whole years; you've achieved what every reefer strives for!

Congrats on the new house. It's gonna be beautiful. Whenever you get your next reef going, please post a link to it's build thread on this thread, so everyone who has admired this tank can go enjoy the journey of your next one, too!
Thank you very much! Believe it or not, this thread was started 10 years ago so the tank was actually up here since 1997. Well over 20 years now. I definitely will post updates in the future when I set up a new tank. I will post in this thread and start a new thread for the new build.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/24/2020, 10:17 AM   #2185
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwiser View Post
Scott enjoy the wide open skies. I know you will love the fresh air.
I cannot wait! It’s going to be a long weekend getting this place packed up and loaded. I’m sure once I hit the road I’ll be feeling a huge sense of relief!

Unread 01/24/2020, 10:18 AM   #2186
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
What a sweet place you have in Montana! #goals
Yeah, I am definitely stove. Got our dream property and couldn’t be happier about that. A lot of work ahead of me on the house but I am up for the task!

Unread 02/21/2020, 07:00 PM   #2187
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Good luck Scott!
Simi Valley will never be the same!

Did Jim go with you?

pmrossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2020, 02:09 PM   #2188
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrossetti View Post
Good luck Scott!
Simi Valley will never be the same!

Did Jim go with you?
Thank you very much!! Loving Montana! Heading out in and our or so to do some ice fishing on the lake next door. Got my fishing gear, ice tent, heater, auger, drill and chairs packed up in the trailer sled and the snowmobile ready to go. Should be bringing back dinner fresh from he lake! Will be targeting perch and pike today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2F19E565-5C2C-4C8B-98A3-3AB57309DBC9.jpg (72.7 KB, 59 views)

Unread 08/17/2020, 01:20 PM   #2189
Hellsangelbx
Registered Member

Hey @slief hope all is well bud. I have been missing your post. Big fan as always. Do you still have your tank? would love to see an update.

Hellsangelbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2020, 06:12 PM   #2190
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsangelbx View Post
Hey @slief hope all is well bud. I have been missing your post. Big fan as always. Do you still have your tank? would love to see an update.
Thanks! Sadly, the tank, livestock and equipment was sold in January as we sold our home and move to North Western Montana. I am out of the reef hobby for the time being after 30+ years of having salt running through my veins and house.

Unread 08/17/2020, 07:17 PM   #2191
Hellsangelbx
Registered Member

Bummer I was always a big fan. Hopefully you’ll get back into it.looking forward for a new @slief build and what you would use as equipment starting from scratch now

Hellsangelbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2020, 07:57 PM   #2192
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsangelbx View Post
Bummer I was always a big fan. Hopefully you’ll get back into it.looking forward for a new @slief build and what you would use as equipment starting from scratch now
Thanks.. Truth is there isn’t much I’d change since everything was working so well and my live stock was thriving. Once we are done with our remodel here, I will likely revisit a reef tank but I have lots of work ahead of me. In the mean time, I setup an Aquaponics system. That’s running an Apex and Profilix P4 for monitoring and control and I have another Apex in our hen house for monitoring and some control.

Unread 08/18/2020, 07:41 AM   #2193
wtac
Registered Member

There is something freeing not having a reef system at home. I've been "reef free" for 13years but lived vicariously and spending my clients $ up until 2018 when hung up the buckets and hoses for a full time eng position across the country from ON to AB (Canada).

We were going to buy a house and considered building a reef system this summer but the oil $ crashed and Cv-19 hit.

We moved back to ON, bought a house and doing renos...considering a reef system but missing the freshwater side and will probably build a pond and palaudarium instead of going reef...less to worry about when we want to take off for the weekend/week/extended holiday when the Cv-19 dust settles to the new normalcy.

Helping a colleague that broke his leg with his clients until he's...uhm...back on his feet again...

Its tough getting the reef bug out of the head and veins...always on the fence pulling the trigger to build a system.

wtac is offline   Reply With Quote