Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2011, 12:44 PM   #801
melbell86
Registered Member

Video of my frogfish

Here is a video of Bowser eating a ghost shrimp!

melbell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2011, 05:53 PM   #802
shayna123
Registered Member

These guys are so cute!

shayna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2011, 09:33 PM   #803
Blackhawk708
Registered Member

Sixline was my favorite fish in the tank.....Big Ugly joined the group and didn't take too kindly to that....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HappySixline.jpg (100.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg SadSixline.jpg (65.2 KB, 84 views)
Blackhawk708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2011, 06:40 PM   #804
krjackso
Registered Member

Read this whole thread as I have been a fan of anglers for years. Finally decided to take the plunge and picked up these 2 guys the other week. Hopefully some others unfortunate learnings will attribute to the well being of my 2 new buddies.

No names, they equal bad luck...

Unread 05/29/2011, 11:35 PM   #805
melbell86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjackso View Post
Read this whole thread as I have been a fan of anglers for years. Finally decided to take the plunge and picked up these 2 guys the other week. Hopefully some others unfortunate learnings will attribute to the well being of my 2 new buddies.

No names, they equal bad luck...

those are adorable frog fish! i love the red one are you keeping them together?? if so let me know how that is going, im really curious because i am wanting to add another one to my tank that currently houses 1 pictus!

Unread 06/01/2011, 12:07 PM   #806
nicolecraig
Registered Member

Need help with my angler

Anyone knows how to treat an angler with a huge bubble on its body. Pictures attached. Im assuming its called gas bubble disease???? If thats not the right name, what is it? I have given it Diamox and nothing still. Hopefully that wasnt a mistake. A little info on him. He was originally in a 90 gallon with a lot of rock and plants. He has had this bubble for about 2 weeks now. He still eats but is a lot slower. he has really bad buoyancy issues.
Right now its in a ten gallon tank with no medication. I have no idea what the next move should be.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Nicole

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/a...g/DSCN1247.jpg
http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/a...g/DSCN1246.jpg

Last edited by nicolecraig; 06/01/2011 at 12:12 PM.
nicolecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2011, 01:23 PM   #807
aninjaatemyshoe
Registered Member

If he has aspirated air, which is a common problem with frogfish, you may do well to keep him submersed at the bottom of the tank using some sort of cage. I used a breeder net once with a rock on top to hold it down, and it seemed to help. The pressure at the bottom of the tank helps them expel the gas, and, by keeping them away from the surface, they are prevented from aspirating any more air. Even better would be if you could put him in a deeper tank; deeper = more pressure, which is what you want to help him expel the gas.

Unread 06/01/2011, 05:19 PM   #808
melbell86
Registered Member

Help with ID

can someone ID this frogfish for me? I just got him from liveaquaria (sold as antennarius sp.) but he doesnt look like an antennarius to me. From some of the research i have been doing he kinda looks like a type of Lophiocharon. His rod has no lure at the tip but it is really long. here are a couple pics.

Unread 06/05/2011, 12:59 PM   #809
Mental1
Registered Member

Okay so I screwed up with my striatus and he swallowed a bunch of air while trying to get him off the feeding stick. My stupidity completely. So how long do you give them before you get proactive? It's so much air that he has himself propped under some rocks to keep from floating up. Turned off one of the powerheads and yes he is in his own tank and it is 24 inches deep. I could put him in like a blueberry box and weight it down -- he's got himself about halfway down in the tank right now. It will be tough to feed him anything let alone a pea. How long do I give him?

Current Tank Info: 400g - 65g DT and 180g peninsula DT both drop into basement. 5 tanks plus a QT in the basement.
Mental1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2011, 01:25 PM   #810
Mental1
Registered Member

Never mind -- I couldn't keep my hands off of him. So I held him in the water (obviously) so his head was facing up and he kept swallowing water. I pushed very gently on his stomach. He got huge -- so much so that I thought he was going to burst. He coughed out some food and water but that was it. I propped him in some rocks and ran upstairs to get the blueberry plastic container because I did not know if the water swallowing was a stress response. I was rinsing out the container and watching him and he burped out all of the air. He is breathing very heavy now. We had a chat and decided we would not do that again. Honestly the way he swallows the line on the fishing stick freaks me out -- I can see it poking out of his stomach!

Current Tank Info: 400g - 65g DT and 180g peninsula DT both drop into basement. 5 tanks plus a QT in the basement.
Unread 06/05/2011, 04:57 PM   #811
aninjaatemyshoe
Registered Member

I always liked to use a thin-gauge metal wire as a feeding stick. The quick suction of their bite was usually enough to dislodge the food from the wire. Plus, they couldn't really impale themselves on it and do any damage.

Unread 06/06/2011, 04:44 AM   #812
Mental1
Registered Member

I may make another feeding stick anyway as this one has pretty thick fishing line and then end of it is pretty rough as it has been used for quite a while.

The metal would scare me too though ... how thin?

Unread 06/06/2011, 03:16 PM   #813
melbell86
Registered Member

im sure that was scary for you! I got very upset because i feared i had been feeding my angler too much and his stomach seemed to be bulging with gas. It worse when you know its your fault. He is on a strict diet of half a silverside twice a week now. I use a grip tool that i got from petco to feed mine and i have no issues. They are just huge plastic tweezers, and i pinch the tail of the food and bring it to his face, let go and he sucks the food right in. Maybe you could try out something like that so it isnt so scary!

also, i read that you can gently "burp" a frogfish if he has swallowed air. Hold him with his mouth facing upward and jiggle him slightly, this might help him to burp and dislodge the air. hope your little guy is alright!!

Unread 06/06/2011, 03:27 PM   #814
Mental1
Registered Member

I did burp him -- but I think he freaked and sucked in a bunch of water. I used tweezers first and he sucked one side of those in so I moved to the feeding stick. He is definitely not himself yet. I was just looking at him, he is breathing okay but he usually comes to see me when I am in front of the tank. He just sat there -- do not think he enjoyed the experience. His next feeding will be a live mollie!

Unread 06/06/2011, 08:14 PM   #815
melbell86
Registered Member

aww i hope he feels better. Im sure he will in a few days!

Unread 06/09/2011, 01:03 PM   #816
krjackso
Registered Member

double post

Last edited by krjackso; 06/09/2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: double post
krjackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2011, 01:04 PM   #817
krjackso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbell86 View Post
those are adorable frog fish! i love the red one are you keeping them together?? if so let me know how that is going, im really curious because i am wanting to add another one to my tank that currently houses 1 pictus!

Thanks. sorry for the delay in response, but yes I WAS keeping them in the same tank (yellow one unfortunately jumped out last week), but separated by an acrylic divider. My first few attempts at separating them were failures, but everytime I came to find them, they did not bother each other. I would be very cautious though and not pressume this to be playful or imply tolerance of one another. I think it would only be a matter of time before they made a snack of one another. IMO, keep them separated. Anyways, once I got them successfully separated, they would always stay close to one another by the divider. Enemies or friends, no one will ever know (but I will assume the former).

Unread 06/09/2011, 01:17 PM   #818
melbell86
Registered Member

Sorry to hear you lost the little yellow one How big is the red one? Share some pics if you can would love to see him. So far mine are doing well. They dont seem to care much about each other (for now) but like you said you never know. Mine are both the same size, although my pictus is very lazy and hardly ever goes anywhere besides his two favorite spots (one of which is right up against the front glass next to a large shell) and my lophiocharon (or what i pressume to be) is a bit more active and swims around but has his favorite spots too. Im still trying to train him onto frozen, my pictus has been eating frozen silversides for a month now.

Unread 06/14/2011, 03:13 PM   #819
Mental1
Registered Member

Does your angler wave his lure at you when he is hungry? Mine did this morning and it cracked me up! Hey you -- you -- food goddess -- I want food!

Unread 06/14/2011, 06:52 PM   #820
melbell86
Registered Member

Yes all the time! Anytime i use the tongs to move something in the tank he waves his lure like crazy, and sometimes he lunges at them!

Here are my babies! Mushu and Bowser.

Unread 06/15/2011, 07:46 AM   #821
Mental1
Registered Member

Awesome! What is it about ugly fish looking so darn cute? Which is which? Who is Mushu and who is Bowser?

I was thinking this morning about anglers and the fact that they only live a couple of years at most in captivity. I was wondering if there is something in live foods that they just cannot get when fed frozen even if it is a whole silverside or whatever. I breed saltwater mollies and let him have one at least once a week and I just started wondering about what gets lost nutrient wise when we feed only frozen.

Unread 06/18/2011, 03:52 PM   #822
melbell86
Registered Member

Bowser is the brown one on the right and mushu is the red decorated one!
Yeah i know what you mean. I read somewhere that frogfish should be supplemented with live foods in their diet for that very reason. Im thinking about feeding mollies maybe once a month. Do they need to get acclimated to saltwater first before you feed them?

Unread 06/21/2011, 07:20 AM   #823
surferboi2113
Registered Member

I would def acclimate them first. Though my angler got eaten(by my carpet nem) before i could call it "long term success", i always read to feed the angler saltwater fish. I kept my mollies in my fuge for at least a month before i fed them. I'm not sure how accurate i am but i remember reading they develop different proteins when they acclimate to SW. Gut load them with SW specific foods as well. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

surferboi2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2011, 10:46 AM   #824
melbell86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferboi2113 View Post
I would def acclimate them first. Though my angler got eaten(by my carpet nem) before i could call it "long term success", i always read to feed the angler saltwater fish. I kept my mollies in my fuge for at least a month before i fed them. I'm not sure how accurate i am but i remember reading they develop different proteins when they acclimate to SW. Gut load them with SW specific foods as well. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.
yeah i was asking because i thought i had read somewhere that the froggies will get indigestion from eating freshwater fish because of the different proteins etc. Mine are just eating frozen silversides and ghost shrimp every once in a while but i would like to move on to supplementing their diet with live foods.

Unread 06/22/2011, 11:31 AM   #825
Mental1
Registered Member

Sorry -- did not check back in. I have a saltwater tank dedicated to mollies that I breed for live feeding. I also have lions. There was a study done and it has to do with the amount of fat in the fish. Freshwater fish have a lot more fat and it affects the livers of predators. (I am not describing this in the best way -- but it is just as I remember reading the article). Brackish water fish have less fat and saltwater fish have the least fat. So the mollies are originally a brackish water fish so they will have less fat than goldfish. I don't know if they get even less fat in them if the are acclimated to and bred in saltwater. There is no difference in fat levels of freshwater and saltwater ghost shrimp which is why a lot of people who feed live go to the ghosties. SO when I feed live to them I usually do a mix of ghosties and mollies, and then they all eat frozen as well. That way I can keep their diet pretty varied.