Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

A List of Good Beginner Fish

Good Beginner Fish

Angelfish

Coral Beauty Angelfish [Centropyge bispinosus] (probably the hardiest of all the dwarf angels but they can nibble on corals and clams)

Half Black Angelfish [Centropyge vroliki] (see Coral Beauty)

Pygmy/Cherub Angelfish [Centropyge argi] (see Coral Beauty but
consider that they are often meaner, the same goes for most other similar shaped Pygmy Angels)

*Angels can be a little prone to disease but are otherwise pretty hardy if given a good diet

Blennies

Bicolor Blenny [Ecsenius bicolor] (great little fish with lots of personality that can help with algae problems, only problem is they're know to sometimes take a liking to munching on corals and clams, procede with caution)

Tail Spot Blenny [Ecsenius stigmatura] (in most cases probably a better choice all around than the Bicolor Blenny, though they aren't quite as boisterous which can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective, less commonly available)

Linear Blenny [Ecsenius lineatus] (see above)

Cardinalfish

Pajama/Spotted/Orange Lined Cadinalfish [Sphaeramia nematoptera most common] (peaceful, disease resistant, and hardy, Cardinalfish in general are good choices just be a little more leary of Bangaii Cardinals that are new to captivity and red nocturnal varieties)

Clownfish/Chromis/Damselfish

Tank Raised Clownfish [Amphiprion sp.] (percula and ocellaris stay smaller and are les aggressive, Skunk clowns can be more peaceful as well, Maroon clowns tend to be the meanest, and all the others usually fall somewhere in between)

Green Chromis [Chromis viridis] (very peaceful and will school, but it is becoming pretty clear that in smaller schools they will sometimes pick the weakest member of the group off one by one, perhaps larger schools of 6+ in larger aquariums would eliminate that possibility)

Yellowtail Damselfish [Chrysiptera parasema] (can be aggressive but not quite as mean as most other Damselfish, add them as one of your last fish)

*In general Damsels are very hardy but the majority of them get far too mean to be considered good inhabitants in most tanks

Gobies/Dartfish

Firefish [Nemateleotris decora/magnifica] (great reef fish, just be weary when keeping in groups as they can turn on one another, singles or mated pairs are you best bet, they have been known to jump but it's not a big problem)

Scissortail Goby/Dartfish [Ptereleotris evides] (almost identical to Firefish in care)

Yellow Watchman Goby [Cryptocentrus cinctus] (tough as nails, very comical, peaceful, but a little shy and require some sand to burrow in, make sure your rocks are stacked securely)

Pink Spotted Watchman [Cryptocentrus leptocephalus] (see Yellow Watchman)

Gold/Blue Neon Goby (peaceful and often avilable as tank raised, keep as mated pairs or singles unless you have a large aquarium)

Hector's Goby [Amblyeleotris hectori] (similar to Rainford's but seem to accept prepared foods more often, just make sure they're eating before purchase and keep them with more peaceful fish, they will also sift food from your sandbed and tidy it up so it's best to have a sandbed)

Pseudochromis/Basslets

Royal Gramma [Gramma loreto] (kept singly they are peaceful, but the biggest drawback is their shyness, provide plenty of overhangs, they may also do best in aquariums with a little less intense lighting)

Pseudochromis [springeri/fridmani/flavivertex/aldabraensis] (very hardy and disease resistant, however can get quite mean, they are fairly well behaved as long as they're the last fish added and you avoid similar size/shape fish, frequently available as tank raised)

Pseudochromis sankeyi (same as above except far more peaceful)

Tangs/Foxfaces

Zebrasoma sp. [Yellow, Purple, Scopas, Sailfin] (these are the hardiest of the tangs in my opinion, still not great beginner fish, but if you must have a Tang these are the best choices, be sure to provide plenty of green stuff for them to graze on and feed them often to stay plump, as a basic guideline it's best to keep these in 75 gal. or larger aquariums with the consideration that they might outgrow those down the road, they can get mean so make them later additions)

Foxfaces/Rabbitfish [Siganus vulpinus is the most common] (these fish can get quite large so be sure to research if your tank is large enough to house one, they're great at algae control, more disease resistant than their cousins the Tang, and generally more peaceful, also keep in mind their dorsal spines are mildly venomous)

Wrasses

Six/Four Line Wrasse (can get mean much like the Pseudochromis, but also requires a sandbed to borrow in, sometimes these will consume undesirable flatworms)

General Notes

*Keep in mind that there are plenty of other fish that are suitable to beginnners, I've covered most of the staples. You'll find that most of these fish are easy to find at a local fish store and are fairly reasonable in price. As a beginner don't spend a lot of money on some rare fish just to watch it die from a common beginner mistake.

*Fish selection is one of the most important aspects of this hobby. Select specimens with bright vibrant colors that are active and overall healthy in appearance. Avoid things like torn fins, strange spots or lumps, sunken in bellies, and sores or red marks. It can also be helpful to see if the fish eats before taking it home.

*Quarantine tanks are an important aspect of marine aquarium keeping. No matter how healthy and disease resistant your fish looked at the store things can still go wrong. A quarantine tank will help you keep the fish in your display free of disease and help ensure the longterm survival of newly aquired specimens.

*Here is a list of species you should avoid if you're new to the hobby.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1157901

Happy Reefing!

Peter

Last edited by Peter Eichler; 07/07/2007 at 09:42 PM.
Peter Eichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2007, 12:37 PM   #2
happyface888
Registered Member

Nice post peter, now I can help get my other friends in to this hobby , but one question isnt the yellow sand sifting goby just like the diamond goby? where they would starve to death?

happyface888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by happyface888
Nice post peter, now I can help get my other friends in to this hobby , but one question isnt the yellow sand sifting goby just like the diamond goby? where they would starve to death?
Different genus and I've never experience starvation issues with Watchman Gobies, just the Sleeper Gobies. Watchman Gobies will sift sand from time to time but it's nothing like the Sleeper Gobies.

Unread 07/08/2007, 04:00 PM   #4
happyface888
Registered Member

So any goby in the cryptocentrus are hardy sand sifting guys, including this good looking one?
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...cfm?pCatId=198

Unread 07/08/2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
So any goby in the cryptocentrus are hardy sand sifting guys, including this good looking one?
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...cfm?pCatId=198
I'm not aware of any fish in the geneus that aren't hardy. Just make sure they're getting food since some of them won't swim up into the water column to get it. Their likelyhood to sift sand seems to depend on the individual specimen. I've seen some that stay in their burrow most of the time and rarely sift, but I've seen others of the same species that spend considerable time sifting.

Unread 07/09/2007, 06:25 PM   #6
loosecannon
Registered Member

Hi, peter eichler: nice list. Anelfish {Centropyge}, are NOT good beginner fish! Thay need lot`s of well aged live rock. The tank should be up and running, for six mounths or moor! Blennies are good first fish. Help with the alge. Cardinal`s good for fish only tank. Thay are noctarnal and the bright light of reef tanks can stress them out! Clownfish Chromisfish Damselsfish, are all good first fish , if tank raised. Gobies are good first fish. But not the sand siffting one`s! Dartfishnot a good first fish get picted on by other fish. Pseudochromis basslets can be vary aggessof. Tangs in most Genus: Zebrasoma, Acanthurs. Tang`s in the Genus: Ctenochaet us, thay are comenly called bristletooth, and thay do not travle well. Wrasses I love mine do your homework, ther are good one`s and bad. I have had a Centro pyge heraldi. I got him he had only one eye. I think ez hard depanz on your set up. I have learn to pick the fish out first than fined out what I need to do to keep them alive, and than set up a tank that best fits thar NEED`S!

Current Tank Info: 44gal. 40 gal. 75 gal. 30gal. and working on a 75gal. rigt
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Grins
Registered Member

No damsels? ::flee::::

whoops, I see them now.

Current Tank Info: 55g mixed reef
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 10:22 PM   #8
happyface888
Registered Member

Hey Peter,
I was wondering what would you rate a coral beauty on a scale of 1-10 for hardiness? I recently got on from a local pet store that didnt know how to catch it... they didnt remove the rocks and just used nets to poke it around for 20mins to get it, the tail got ripped during the process. So brought it home and it developed a little ich on the face. So how well do coral beauties handle ich? Are they ich magnets compared to blue tangs are pretty tough? Thanks peter

Unread 07/09/2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

Great list. My own favorite is the yellow watchman---eats anything and defends himself with burrowing and bluster, not usually bite.

Dartfish are great if you can keep them in the tank.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 10:43 PM   #10
happyface888
Registered Member

I had a yellow watchment goby for 3 days it was living in a cave with a hitch hiker crab that one day killed it. But I am kind of lost, how come it shares a hole with a shrimp? I thought only shrimp gobies are the ones.

Unread 07/09/2007, 10:48 PM   #11
backyardspecial
Registered Member

nice list

backyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2007, 11:50 PM   #12
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loosecannon
Hi, peter eichler: nice list. Anelfish {Centropyge}, are NOT good beginner fish! Thay need lot`s of well aged live rock. The tank should be up and running, for six mounths or moor! Blennies are good first fish. Help with the alge. Cardinal`s good for fish only tank. Thay are noctarnal and the bright light of reef tanks can stress them out! Clownfish Chromisfish Damselsfish, are all good first fish , if tank raised. Gobies are good first fish. But not the sand siffting one`s! Dartfishnot a good first fish get picted on by other fish. Pseudochromis basslets can be vary aggessof. Tangs in most Genus: Zebrasoma, Acanthurs. Tang`s in the Genus: Ctenochaet us, thay are comenly called bristletooth, and thay do not travle well. Wrasses I love mine do your homework, ther are good one`s and bad. I have had a Centro pyge heraldi. I got him he had only one eye. I think ez hard depanz on your set up. I have learn to pick the fish out first than fined out what I need to do to keep them alive, and than set up a tank that best fits thar NEED`S!
I made some specific notes on Angels that about diet and disease. The angels I listed will do very well in fish only tanks IME and are quite hardy and capable of thriving in various types of tanks as long as proper diets are provided. I have even seen people cycle tanks with Coral Beauties (NOT something I suggest trying).

Candinals are very hardy and resillient fish and adapt well to the bright lighting in our aquariums. Most of them are shallow water animals despite being nocturnal so their habits in our tanks can mimic those found in the ocean. The hide under overhangs during the day if they're so inclined, and become more active at night. The thing is, in many cases they are active during the day in aquaria, if it was so stressful to them that would not be the case.

In one breath you say Damselfish and Clownfish are all good first fish then you call me out for including Pseudochromis even though I warned people by saying "they can get quite mean"... Then you say Dartfish aren't good because they're peaceful and can get picked on. Are you for real?

I can't even figure out what point you're trying to make with the Tangs...

C. Heraldi are usually collected with cyanide and other drugs. Depending on how long you've had it, their requirements in captivity has little to do with their horrible survival rates.

I don't mind having a discussion/debate with you. Though you seem to have an axe to grind with me for some reason... In the future, please at least make an effort to spell words correctly and throw a paragraph into the mix where needed. As it stands now I feel like I need a decoder ring and some advil to read your posts. My grammar and spelling aren't great either so I'm not just trying to take a pot shot at you. It's just to the point where your posts are a chore to read and understand.

Unread 07/10/2007, 12:00 AM   #13
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Peter,
I was wondering what would you rate a coral beauty on a scale of 1-10 for hardiness? I recently got on from a local pet store that didnt know how to catch it... they didnt remove the rocks and just used nets to poke it around for 20mins to get it, the tail got ripped during the process. So brought it home and it developed a little ich on the face. So how well do coral beauties handle ich? Are they ich magnets compared to blue tangs are pretty tough? Thanks peter
Ich can be a problem with Angels, though they're not as bad as most tangs IMO. The good news is that Coral Beauties are quite hardy otherwise, so in most cases curing them of disease will be better than with more sensitive species. As long as you take the proper steps to cure the disease, feed him a good diet his fin will regenerate and hopefully you'll have a healthy and long lived Coral Beauty. Scales of 1-10 are tricky, they're so open to interpretation If I had to pick, I'd say a 7-8 if 10 is the hardiest. One exception is a Coral Beauty that comes from the Phillipines, that's a crap shoot, as it is with many fish from that area due to cyanide fishing.

Unread 07/10/2007, 12:05 AM   #14
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
I had a yellow watchment goby for 3 days it was living in a cave with a hitch hiker crab that one day killed it. But I am kind of lost, how come it shares a hole with a shrimp? I thought only shrimp gobies are the ones.
Yellow Watchmen are also know to cohabitate with pistol shrimp and they are considred shrimp gobies.

Unread 07/10/2007, 12:22 AM   #15
Sk8r
RC Mod

I just gave mine a tiger shrimp and he put on a real show, dancing and posturing and generally acting as pleased as a fish can be. Simultaneously I gave my highfins a candycane pistol shrimp, and it was truly amazing how accurately and fast the two shrimp located their appropriate fishy partners. Quite, quite fascinating show, and a great encouragement for the fish to come out into the open a bit more. This is in a goby-dominated tank.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 07/10/2007, 12:37 AM   #16
happyface888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Eichler
Ich can be a problem with Angels, though they're not as bad as most tangs IMO. The good news is that Coral Beauties are quite hardy otherwise, so in most cases curing them of disease will be better than with more sensitive species. As long as you take the proper steps to cure the disease, feed him a good diet his fin will regenerate and hopefully you'll have a healthy and long lived Coral Beauty. Scales of 1-10 are tricky, they're so open to interpretation If I had to pick, I'd say a 7-8 if 10 is the hardiest. One exception is a Coral Beauty that comes from the Phillipines, that's a crap shoot, as it is with many fish from that area due to cyanide fishing.
Thats a relieft to hear, Im just going to feed alot of garlic and vitamins mixed in food. It eats only when the lights are off and when the lights are on it doesnt eat as much. Cool fish, by any chance could you start a thread on drugstore vitamins I think it would be interesting. Could save alot of begginers money. And a CB for cycling thats crazy lol, I dont think anyone should do it.

Unread 07/10/2007, 04:42 AM   #17
loosecannon
Registered Member

Hi ,Angels need some good live rock they should never be put in a new tank! If candinal`s liked reef lighting. They would not be nocturnal! Yes Im for real peter. The tang`s , what did you not figure out. C. heraldi, are not collected with cyanide, if they were, DON`T TELL mine , I have him now for four year`s shhhhh. I don`t have an axe to grind. I think you don`t like it when guy`s correct your fopaz. Spell words correctly, I do my best, just like when some guy`s give WRONG INFO to newbies! No your not trying to take a pot shot at my spelling its all you got. some guys peter give info to newbies like its law. when in fact, it`s missleding at best! My posts are achore to reed, Than stop posting missleding info.

Current Tank Info: 44gal. 40 gal. 75 gal. 30gal. and working on a 75gal. rigt
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2007, 03:58 PM   #18
setec69
Registered Member

I vote we make this a sticky. Could have saved me a lot of painful rock take downs

setec69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2007, 06:53 PM   #19
Lydo
Registered Member

Lots of great info there Peter, thanks for the post. I need to start adding some fish to my tank so I think I might take up a goby.

I saw one at the store that would take a mouth full of sand and let it come out it's gills. I foud that was cool but I was always scared that it would move too much sand.

Maybe I'll try him out.

3 in sandbed
Berlin turbo XL Skimmer
4 48" daylight T5s
2 48" T5 actinics
Lydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2007, 07:04 PM   #20
Psychojam
Registered Member

You didn't mention the flame angel (unless I missed it), where does this fish fit into the mix? (BTW: Nice post Peter, thanks for taking the time and effort!)

BioCube 14

Current Tank Info: BC 14: Currently being re-constructed
Psychojam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2007, 09:45 PM   #21
happyface888
Registered Member

A good invert to have I would suggest a tube anemone, they are quit hardy and good looking.

Unread 07/10/2007, 09:57 PM   #22
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you have a tank under 50 g, don't get a diamond goby: you'll be much happier with a yellow watchman, imho. The diamonds move an incredible amount of sand---they're the ones that tend to starve in a small tank. The yellow watchman will eat most anything that you toss in, as well as feed himself off detritus while you're out of town for 3 days.

Unread 07/10/2007, 11:20 PM   #23
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lydo
Lots of great info there Peter, thanks for the post. I need to start adding some fish to my tank so I think I might take up a goby.

I saw one at the store that would take a mouth full of sand and let it come out it's gills. I foud that was cool but I was always scared that it would move too much sand.

Maybe I'll try him out.
As sk8r eluded to not all Gobies are created equal. The sand sifting Gobies of the genus Valenciennea can be tricky and often starve to death in home aquaria. They're the fish most commonly found sifting sand at the LFS and find out exactly what fish it was that you observed at the LFS before pulling the trigger on a purchase.

Unread 07/10/2007, 11:28 PM   #24
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychojam
You didn't mention the flame angel (unless I missed it), where does this fish fit into the mix? (BTW: Nice post Peter, thanks for taking the time and effort!)
They're usually pretty hardy. A few things things that keeps them off the list...

1.) They seem to be more commonly caught using drugs. Purchasing one that comes from Hawaii will greatly eliminate the chances of getting a improperly collected specimen.

2.) They're a little more sensitive to water conditions than the Coral Beauty.

3.) They tend to be a little more demanding diet wise IMO.

4.) They're usually a little meaner than the Coral Beauty.

5.) They're fairly expensive, and I was trying to not include many pricey fish here.

Unread 07/10/2007, 11:33 PM   #25
Peter Eichler
Registered Member

I want to point one thing out about the original post... The Larabicus quadrilineatus is a wrasse often called the four line wrasse and is NOT suitable for any aquarium with corals. The other Four line wrasse, Pseudocheilinus tetrataenia, is almost identical in care and demeanor to the Six Line wrasse, and all the fish in that genus can get a little mean but are quite hardy.