Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2007, 05:04 PM   #1
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

im biting the bullet...new reflectors......some advice wanted

ok......i have a 225 and a 90...

Im looking to buy 2 lumenarc minis for the 90, and 2 lumenarc III's and a lumenarc mini for the 225(center overflow box).

Here are my questions and concerns on the 225.

1. I have JUST 8.5" of clearance in the canopy of my 225. So to put the L III on a track like will be necessary to even access the water wont work. Does anybody sell these reflectors that can be custom cut a little, Or can I cut the thing myself in order to still use the lumenarc III or am I limited to just having to use the lumenarc minis all the way across??

2. any suggestions for some good little tracks I can puchase so that the reflectors can be simply pushed out of the way in order to be able to stick my hands in the tank??

thanks

flyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2007, 06:18 PM   #2
cnaegler
Registered Member

IMO, It's hard to say for sure without a picture. When you say 8.5 inches of clearance do you mean from the water up? Lumenarc makes retractable hangers. Check the website and see if those light yoyos will help. I hope thats what you were refering to.

http://www.lumenarclighting.com/products.asp?cat=4

You can want in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first!!

Save the reefs! Buy captive bred fish and aquacultured corals!

Current Tank Info: Downsizing to a 120 BB SPS tank, 6205 &6305 Tunze on 7095 controller, Current USA extreme 8 x 54 fixture
cnaegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2007, 06:32 PM   #3
gabe3d
Registered Member

If you plan to have 3 reflectors on the 225, then the minis will be plenty. The coverage will be very good, assuming your tank is 6ft long.

I have 3 large one on my 225 and i wish i had the minis to fit the moonlight and T5s better next to them and also to have the top more open.

gabe3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2007, 06:35 PM   #4
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

8.5" from the top of my TANK, to the ceiling of the canopy

So the lumenarc III wil fit, but not with the tracks necessary. I frag a lot out of this tank and taking the canpoy off every time isnt an option, i need to be able to slide the light/reflector out of the way. I can accomplish this easily with the lumenarc minis.....but being as the tank is 30" wide, I would like to use the bigger reflector for better coverage

I need the lumenarc III to only be 8" tall is what I need

Unread 11/14/2007, 06:37 PM   #5
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by gabe3d
If you plan to have 3 reflectors on the 225, then the minis will be plenty. The coverage will be very good, assuming your tank is 6ft long.

I have 3 large one on my 225 and i wish i had the minis to fit the moonlight and T5s better next to them and also to have the top more open.

even for the 30" wide the tank is?? I wasnt so much concerned with the 3 across the 72" span...but the one across the 30" wide

What I like about the full size units is that they fit perfectly in the openings in between the tank braces so coverage with them would be perfect

Unread 11/14/2007, 06:46 PM   #6
gabe3d
Registered Member

Eeeks, since your tank is 30'' deep and you only have 8.5'' of height to fit the reflectors there is no way you are going to be able to use a mini. I believe a mini set at 9'' above the water will cover 30'', i believe this is what PGS has said. Good luck.

gabe3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2007, 07:45 PM   #7
dhnguyen
Moved On

Not much choices left unfortunately.

Get rid of your canopy and build a better(re: larger one). IMO 8.5" is a ridiculously small space in a canopy and you won't really be able to do much with that thing unless you were thinking of going to T5 instead.

BTW... Even a regular spider reflector is going to require at least 6 inches clearance which won't leave much room in that 8.5" for you to maneuver your hands inside to do anything. Trust me time to rethink that canopy

dhnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2007, 07:55 PM   #8
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

while i undrstand what you are saying........im not going to build a canopy anytime too soon, even with the reflectors I have now Im not unhappy with coral colors by any means, so upgrading even to the minis would still be an signifigant improvement so I understand.

actually...as I was writing this I just thought of something I CAN do to get the full size refl;ectors in there......I can simply cut a groove into the top of the canopy to sit the tracks in and lift the canopy a touch by moving the side rails as there is a LITTLE to be gained there.

With that being done I can use the III's on the sides and the mini in the middle as that is all that is needed in the middle anyway.

thanks for the input

Unread 11/14/2007, 07:56 PM   #9
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen

BTW... Even a regular spider reflector is going to require at least 6 inches clearance which won't leave much room in that 8.5" for you to maneuver your hands inside to do anything. Trust me time to rethink that canopy
this isnt a new set up.

i currently have the lights on swing arms and they swing out of my way.

There wouldnt be enough room the way everything is situated in there to swing the lumenarc 3 which is why i had the track idea

Unread 11/14/2007, 09:06 PM   #10
t-bone2
Registered Member

my lumarc minis are 7 in tall and the bulbs are located half down which would put the bulb about 4 inches from the water creating serious heat problems soulds like you might be out of luck with full size ones as they are even bigger my old canopy was a total of 9 inch and it was not going to work so new canopy is in the works good luck

Current Tank Info: 210gal becoming reef 90 reef going away
t-bone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2007, 09:29 PM   #11
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally posted by t-bone2
my lumarc minis are 7 in tall and the bulbs are located half down which would put the bulb about 4 inches from the water creating serious heat problems soulds like you might be out of luck with full size ones as they are even bigger my old canopy was a total of 9 inch and it was not going to work so new canopy is in the works good luck
my lights are at 6" now so nothing would be changing there heatwise if I did go with the minis. The water is 10" from the canopy ceiling. So even with the lumenarc mini at 7" as you say, it wouldnt chage my actual bulb height from what it is now

sounds like the full size simply may not be an option until i do chagne the canopy.

So out of curiousity, are you saying that where the specs say 6.5" is actually 7". ???? Normally 1/2" wouldnt matter....but

For anyone who has the full size lumenarcs III's, how far from the top of the reflector does the bottom of a SE bulb sit??