Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 01/14/2008, 09:11 AM   #51
WZHANG
Registered Member

The stand itself would be classified as contemporary, their lighting is derivative from a vintage design.

Unread 01/14/2008, 09:41 AM   #52
CamBarr
Registered Member

im not really a fan of the light. I know that it throws out good par and the reflector is pretty decent but im not a fan of overall look and feel

Unread 01/14/2008, 10:07 PM   #53
WZHANG
Registered Member

yeah, that light is a little abnormal looking over a reef tank isn't it?

I'm not trying to exclude anybody from this thread because their tank is not modern enough. As Flint&Eric posted earlier, modern/contemporary/minimal are terms that have been blurred together.

Unread 01/14/2008, 10:21 PM   #54
glassbox-design
Registered Member

the solana certainly does not fit the description or ideals of modern design....imo. not only that but it's far from attractive.

everyone wants to be included in the word modern...it's something that occurs with all design work types: cars, homes, art, etc. it has become an adjective of common use like "super" or "ultra".

not to say that most of the tanks posted are not "modern enough" but 95% of the aquariums in this thread are not, by design.

LEDs are a 50,000 hr investment. Choose wisely.

Current Tank Info: ...a new glassbox is coming
Unread 01/14/2008, 11:56 PM   #55
Quatro
Registered Member

F&E, post a picture of what you think is "modern".

Getting hung up on the proper definition of "modernism" isn't really advancing this thread. I agree the solana is not a perfect example of a modern design, but it's pretty good for a marine aquarium. Traditionally marine aquariums are, well, traditional. Victorian, Greek, Italian influenced with big boxy designs with columns and kitchen type cupboards as doors. Aquariums by nature are not exactly simple, neat, or compact, so seeing something different that is "minimal" yet efficient is what I think this thread should showcase, along with anybody else's interpretations.

I'd be really interested to see what examples you come up with that are truly modern in design, form, function, etc., your standards are obviously very high, so it should be spectacular.

JMO, try to be open to everything

Unread 01/15/2008, 12:18 AM   #56
Pea-brain
Moved On

I guess mine doesn't quite cut it for any real art style, huh?

rofl. never been much for art

Dan

Unread 01/15/2008, 12:19 AM   #57
Agu
Registered Member

Quote:
Aquariums by nature are not exactly simple, neat, or compact, so seeing something different that is "minimal" yet efficient is what I think this thread should showcase,
First tank I posted has three plugs, light, pump, heater. If someone can get more minimal than that I'd like to see it. Lights are cold cathode fluoros, highly energy efficient. Heater is on the tank for four months, rest of the year it's a two plug tank.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Unread 01/15/2008, 06:33 AM   #58
wcpeixoto
Registered Member

My aquascaping certainly does not fit in minimalism criteria, but the tank design is much more contemporary than average...

Current Tank Info: 100 gl system - sps/lps
Unread 01/15/2008, 06:36 AM   #59
glassbox-design
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Quatro
F&E, post a picture of what you think is "modern".

Getting hung up on the proper definition of "modernism" isn't really advancing this thread. I agree the solana is not a perfect example of a modern design, but it's pretty good for a marine aquarium. Traditionally marine aquariums are, well, traditional. Victorian, Greek, Italian influenced with big boxy designs with columns and kitchen type cupboards as doors. Aquariums by nature are not exactly simple, neat, or compact, so seeing something different that is "minimal" yet efficient is what I think this thread should showcase, along with anybody else's interpretations.

I'd be really interested to see what examples you come up with that are truly modern in design, form, function, etc., your standards are obviously very high, so it should be spectacular.

JMO, try to be open to everything

quatro,

please dont take my post the wrong way. i was just offering some clarification. just because something is not modern, does not mean it's not beautiful. if what you state was your true objective for this thread, perhaps it should have been stated so many more would be open to it. by labeling it modern you are limiting many simple beautiful aquariums.

calling a coral a "tyree LE" when it is not, is probably wrong in most reefers books. well to me the labeling of "modern" when it clearly is not fits in the same category.

even if a coral is not a "tyree LE" does not mean it cannot be stunning and the same can go with any aquarium.

jmo.

Unread 01/15/2008, 09:05 AM   #60
Felix1021
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by wcpeixoto
My aquascaping certainly does not fit in minimalism criteria, but the tank design is much more contemporary than average...

Do you have more pictues? maybe a build thread? PM ME if possible thanks...I digg ur tank !!!

Felix-

Unread 01/15/2008, 10:39 AM   #61
Quatro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
quatro,

please dont take my post the wrong way. i was just offering some clarification. just because something is not modern, does not mean it's not beautiful. if what you state was your true objective for this thread, perhaps it should have been stated so many more would be open to it. by labeling it modern you are limiting many simple beautiful aquariums.

calling a coral a "tyree LE" when it is not, is probably wrong in most reefers books. well to me the labeling of "modern" when it clearly is not fits in the same category.

even if a coral is not a "tyree LE" does not mean it cannot be stunning and the same can go with any aquarium.

jmo.
Hey F&E,

I'm just trying to be open minded to everyone's interpretation of something that is legitimately different from what you normally see as aquariums. Modernism seems like a pretty cool medium or theme for an aquarium setting, so seeing everybody's ideas is awesome.

I guess your post just struck me as critical, so I am very interested in your interpretation of what a "modern" aquarium might look like, that's all. I'm actually really interested to see if you come up with anything that fit's the bill of "modern" according to your standards, you have some awesome posts and your blog has great aquariums in it, so please do share your ideas of what modernism in aquaria is, instead of what it is not.

Thanks for listening...

Unread 01/15/2008, 10:46 AM   #62
CamBarr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wcpeixoto

Great Tank!!!
I love the look great Job!!!

Unread 01/15/2008, 10:48 AM   #63
CamBarr
Registered Member

BTW where did you get the white chair on the left i need a new chair for my office PM ME

Unread 01/15/2008, 12:50 PM   #64
wcpeixoto
Registered Member

Felix, I don´t have a build thread. The exterior remains the same, but this pic is one year old so the reef has changed a lot, much more colorful SPS on top. I have tons of pics of corals, sump, lighting, macros, etc., but I´m afraid it wouldn´t fit the subject of this thread. If you want let me know that I send to you or post in another thread.

Cam, glad you liked it. The chair is italian, but I live and bought it in Brazil, so it doesn´t work for you. Give a try to italian design stores...

Current Tank Info: 100 gl system - sps/lps
Unread 01/15/2008, 01:43 PM   #65
TylerMoore
Registered Member

these are all some cool artsy looking tanks. interesting representations of modernity.

if there was a tank filled with nothing but fake fish and corals would it then be a viable post-modern tank? hmm...

Unread 01/15/2008, 02:03 PM   #66
Felix1021
Registered Member

wcpeixoto If you dont mind sharing the pics of corals
and equipment/sump/ etc.
send me a link on my PM thanks

I always like to see these type of things to get my own ideas
thanks (THREAD OF THE MONTH ) lol
Felix-

Unread 01/15/2008, 04:32 PM   #67
CamBarr
Registered Member

I am an Italian furniture freak ha ha i will keep my eyes peeled

Unread 01/15/2008, 05:34 PM   #68
Agu
Registered Member

wcpeixoto,

I love your setup.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Unread 01/15/2008, 11:24 PM   #69
glassbox-design
Registered Member

cpeixoto - nice tank the matching wood looks great.

quatro- there are many tanks out there, as i said before try looking through modern design books and you will find some. i could share my ideas and inspirations with you, but i prefer to keep them to myself for our future projects i hope you understand.

cheers,

e&f

Unread 01/16/2008, 12:15 AM   #70
WZHANG
Registered Member

wcpeixoto,
great tank. I love the shelving around it and your collection of pottery.

Cambarr,
check out Design Within Reach, (dwr.com) there is one in the OC. You may find a chair you will fall in love with there.

Unread 01/16/2008, 12:24 AM   #71
asherah
Premium Member

Is that a airport extreme ? lol
asherah

Unread 01/16/2008, 01:37 AM   #72
CamBarr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by won digity
wcpeixoto,
great tank. I love the shelving around it and your collection of pottery.

Cambarr,
check out Design Within Reach, (dwr.com) there is one in the OC. You may find a chair you will fall in love with there.

Ha ha its one of my frequent haunts i actually got their catalog in the email today

Unread 01/22/2008, 12:41 AM   #73
CamBarr
Registered Member

designed by wzhang

Unread 01/22/2008, 01:17 PM   #74
CamBarr
Registered Member

This is a pretty sweet set up by Tunze good modern look and the filtration is very streamlined and simple

Unread 01/22/2008, 03:23 PM   #75
WZHANG
Registered Member

lol, I hope to actually build one those tanks so we can post reall pics in here!

Closed Thread