Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/11/2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Respect the lurking dangers of this great hobby

My wife bought me a nice pair of yellow heavy duty cleaner gloves---just one of the very few ways of showing support for a reef addict. The gloves always looked so very sparkling clean sitting beside the tank---always the cleanest of cleanest because they were never worn!

Why would I wear them--I'm a macho man--survived being bitten by a sea grouper(5 stitches, a pyranah(only a couple of stitches) stepping on a puffer fish, leaches many times and being watched at a 10 foot bay by a baracuda under its mercy and that of the tides carrying me out into the ocean.

These hands have also survived 7 years of cuts and burns from working in a wrecking yard, 7 years glass cuts from delivering pop, and 25 years of bare handed idiosy with glass tubing in the lab--I've even had the joy of seeing the bone in my fingers a few times before it was stiched up. Never got the slightest infection from being stabbed a few times with a never cleaned frog dissection blade---or toxic poison from receiving one of them in the gut from a student who was a little quick to get up before putting the scalpel down--more upset he/she put a hole in my favorite shirt.

Then last week, one little itty bitty brush by with a harmless pin cushion urchin and one week of coming very close to system shut down and possible loss of one of those macho hands and or arm from cellutis

Overview
Cellulitis is an infection of the deeper skin tissue, which is most often caused by the bacteria Streptococcus or Staphylococcus. These bacteria are able to invade the skin through small cracks (fissures) in the skin, causing the sudden appearance of skin redness, swelling, and the sensation of heat. Cellulitis is often accompanied by fever and chills.

If the infection goes untreated too long, cellulitis can result in pockets of pus (abscesses) or the spread of the bacteria into the bloodstream (bacteremia). However, most cases of cellulitis resolve with appropriate antibiotic therapy.

Personal Experience:

Sunday Oct 5--late afternoon notice dried blood on my hand--after wiping it off there is a small cut but not bleeding anymore

Monday Oct 6--wake up at 6.00 am for work--cut has become swollen to the size of a dime. At work find myself becoming achy and feverish and the hand is starting to swell around the wound. Go to the emergency ward at 300pm after work. Wound has now swollen and red to half of my hand. Immediately put on IV antibiotics and given two sets of oral ones to take for the next week.

Tuesday Oct 7--fevers chills and no sleep--exhausted--call in sick for work. Whole hand has swollen up plus wrist and there are red lines extending up the forearm to the elbow. Receive another iv antibotic at the emergency --by them forearm and hand are red and swollen --a few lines extended up as far as the arm pit. A shunt is put in for further intervenous doses of antibiotics

Wed Oct 7 ---fever broke in the night--still exhausted plus really no use of both hands so stay home from work again. Receive third dose of iv antibiotics from emergency. The system pain and ache in all joints is starting to subside.

Thursday Oct 8---return to work--last for the shift but still extremely fatigued. Spend another 5 hours in emergency and receive a 4th dose of intervenous antibiotics. Redness have ebbed below the eblow and finally feeling like I still have a fish tank and still have an interest in the hobby

Friday Oct 9--energy lasted today, swelling receded to about half of my hand and I can type again--

These pictures are the real deal guys--my hand/arm:

8.00 am Monday morning:

only five hours later:

12 hours later:

I have documented my fight with cellutis AKA Blood Poisoning on this blog:
http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=378

IMO you should wear gloves for:
cleaning the skimmate cup from your protein skimmer

any cleaning in the tank which involves disturbing corals in any way

handling coral where there is the possiblility to break the skin

In summary there are many things in the tank to be aware of--toxins, bacteria ect. These noramally probably won't cause a problem.
They become a problem WHEN THE SKIN IS CUT.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 09:23 AM   #2
EllieSuz
Premium Member

Thank you so much for the good advice and glad you're on the mend. Lucky you were able to get that ring off. Even when you think you don't have a "cut", most of us have a torn cuticle or some minor abrasion much of the time. It's so easy to wear gloves. I use surgical gloves and a rubber band at the wrist every single time I have my hand in the tank. This also protects the fish from soap residue and hand cream, etc.

Eileen

Current Tank Info: I'm out of the hobby, but used to have a60 gal. reef, refugium in sump, Internal Mag 9 return, SC 302 skimmer, two Maxi-Jet 1200's modded, four bulb T5 Lighting, Reefkeeper Lite Controller with three PC4's, Little Fishes GFO reactor.
EllieSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Kieth71
Registered Member

I am very glad to hear you are doing better capn.I have made it a practice to wear gloves which i was not very good a remembering all the time.This post confirms my belief that wearing gloves is not an option.We all get cuts on our hands and forget about them.I am glad to see you back and posting again

Kieth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 09:34 AM   #4
raen
Registered Member

Nice job on the overview. You are awesome, and I am glad you are getting better.

She wasn't wicked, she only liked the shoes!!!

Current Tank Info: 60 Gall Hex, 3 #3's, no fuge..........YET!!!
raen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raen
Nice job on the overview. You are awesome, and I am glad you are getting better.
Let it be known that it was on your advice that I acted quickly(at least for me ) and I have you to thank for not possibly ending up in even more serious shape
I thank you--my family thanks you Rae

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 10/11/2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EllieSuz
Thank you so much for the good advice and glad you're on the mend. Lucky you were able to get that ring off. Even when you think you don't have a "cut", most of us have a torn cuticle or some minor abrasion much of the time. It's so easy to wear gloves. I use surgical gloves and a rubber band at the wrist every single time I have my hand in the tank. This also protects the fish from soap residue and hand cream, etc.
thanks for the kind words EllieSz and Rockymtreefer

Hopefully we can convince new and "seasoned" reefers to put on gloves at least for some maintenance tasks that could lead to a cut or opening in the skin.

Unread 10/11/2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

crikey, glad your still with us capn

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 10:56 AM   #8
eme
Premium Member

Eek .. shock and horror! Glad you're better.

It's taken her years of trying, but you've managed to get me into 'Marigolds' in 5 minutes.

Glad you're better .. did you tell the Emergency unit the cause of the problem and the 'diagnosis' or did they work it out for themselves?

Current Tank Info: Watch this space ....
eme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Haksar
Registered Member

Glad Capn you have recovered well,reading this thread has woken me up.Although I am using medical rubber gloves water seeps through always,afraid to wear rubber band due to blood flow may slow down.

Unread 10/11/2008, 12:02 PM   #10
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

Capn

Glad your doing better.. thanks for the post,

I have always considered getting a pair of gloves just for tank maint as i always have cuts/scratches on my hands/arms from this that or the other but never have saying to myself i could spend the money on fish or food or wanted extras..well i am placinging my monthly supply order this evening and cloves will be the first thing on the order

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 12:34 PM   #11
AbraxasFrog
Registered Member

Capn

Thanks for the documentation - and I am glad you are feeling better. So many times its the little things that we forget (good god, handwashing - anyone?) and your tale is a sober reminder.

Zac

Current Tank Info: Just purchased a 180G, details to follow!
AbraxasFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 12:59 PM   #12
MargieInAZ
Registered Member

Thanks for the head's up!
What gloves do you recommend?

Current Tank Info: Building a 24" cube mixed reef
MargieInAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Kieth71
Registered Member

I use the coralife arm length aqua gloves and they work great.

Kieth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 01:20 PM   #14
markhilken
Registered Member

Yeah I made the mistake of approaching my science teacher with a needle pointer. As I got closer with the tray ready to show him my disected starfish, he brought his knee up, and in the middle of class my starfish went flying across the room. Man talk about being embarressed in front of my peers. I was mortified.

markhilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 02:47 PM   #15
Rae C.
Registered Member

Capn, so glad you are okay! I've been using dish gloves to work in the tank, but only to protect from stings, never thought about what the water might carry. My hands still end up soaking in the water because the tank is deeper than the glove. I think I'll be getting the shoulder length gloves now.

Glad Rae was a quick talker about the ER. Thanx Rae, the whole of RC thanx you too! Capn's a great resource here.

It's 8:30, kids. Turn off the tank and go to bed!

Current Tank Info: 65 gal, softies, 1 mandarine, 1 clown
Rae C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2008, 10:46 PM   #16
singold
Registered Member

Hi Capn, glad you are recovering from this experience. My father gets Cellulitis about once a year it seems. His situation is a bit different, more due to having majority of lymph nodes removed in past due to cancer, so he is very suceptible to this type of acute infection. Anyway, each time he gets it, he is in hospital for about a week. This is a serious thing, and am glad to hear you are recovering. I will also take your advise and start wearing aquarium gloves. Take care.

Current Tank Info: 75gal Reef w/29gal Refugium
singold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2008, 11:20 PM   #17
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well scott you posted this a few days ago and have not responded, very unlike you, i hope your well my friend

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2008, 01:29 AM   #18
zookpower1
Registered Member

Cellulitis can come from kangaroo poo to i know a few people that have got it in the knees from little cuts when they kneel down to change tyres and thins like that its not good

zookpower1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2008, 07:45 AM   #19
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zookpower1
Cellulitis can come from kangaroo poo to i know a few people that have got it in the knees from little cuts when they kneel down to change tyres and thins like that its not good
I have zoos in my tank but no roos

(maybe a plastic one that a grand kid threw in)

Unread 10/13/2008, 07:49 AM   #20
Aquarist007
Registered Member

some suggestions for gloves:

Unread 10/13/2008, 07:52 AM   #21
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
well scott you posted this a few days ago and have not responded, very unlike you, i hope your well my friend
sorry Mike--I am doing well--its just been hecktic here--thanksgiving and my wife's birthday..

Unread 10/13/2008, 07:55 AM   #22
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by singold
Hi Capn, glad you are recovering from this experience. My father gets Cellulitis about once a year it seems. His situation is a bit different, more due to having majority of lymph nodes removed in past due to cancer, so he is very suceptible to this type of acute infection. Anyway, each time he gets it, he is in hospital for about a week. This is a serious thing, and am glad to hear you are recovering. I will also take your advise and start wearing aquarium gloves. Take care.
hmmm--I've had some lymph nodes and the prostrate removed due to cancer----I wonder if this is why I now got such an injury after surviving so many cuts, lacerations ect in the past.

what do you think Rae???

Unread 10/13/2008, 07:57 AM   #23
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markhilken
Yeah I made the mistake of approaching my science teacher with a needle pointer. As I got closer with the tray ready to show him my disected starfish, he brought his knee up, and in the middle of class my starfish went flying across the room. Man talk about being embarressed in front of my peers. I was mortified.
ever had a live rat from a science experiment crawl up your pants---that's a story for a different thread

Unread 10/13/2008, 10:21 AM   #24
L98-Z
Registered Member

I bought the coralife gloves. I like them, except I can't grab a damn thing.

L98-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2008, 10:25 AM   #25
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by L98-Z
I bought the coralife gloves. I like them, except I can't grab a damn thing.

I was wondering about that--good you mentioned it.

Yet the other pair I posted seem like they would tear easy but definetely be more flexible for grabbing things

anyone else have suggestions for gloves??