Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2009, 07:19 PM   #151
PRDubois
Registered Member

Welcome
To Reef Central

thank you both for joining us
------------------------------------------------------------
John,
READ. READ, READ - everything in the beginning of this section

Use Sand or CC sand not CC
Never cycle with live fish, Takes longer and is crewl to fish
Your tank should be 4 weeks to cycle before adding fish

Current Tank Info: 225 gal Reef, 60 gal reef & 40b frag tank

Last edited by PRDubois; 04/26/2009 at 07:27 PM.
PRDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2009, 07:41 PM   #152
jball49
Registered Member

Oh, well we were told by aquatic store that is how to start up a new tank is that you put some damsels in there for 3-6 weeks until your water tests ok. At least 3 weeks and most likely 4 is what we were told. But we were just doing what the store told us to do.

Oh and it is CC sand, not just CC.

Last edited by jball49; 04/26/2009 at 07:57 PM.
jball49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 08:46 AM   #153
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

well im totally against using live fish for cycling, and more importantly damsels as well, lovely fish but can get aggressive and basically they are used as guineau pigs, you may have to tear the tank down to get them out and then what will you do with them? its not your fault you were talked into it, but i suggest you ask us here before listening to the lfs again, its great to see you here and welcome to the forum, hope to see you posting here and any questions just ask

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 09:15 AM   #154
jball49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
well im totally against using live fish for cycling, and more importantly damsels as well, lovely fish but can get aggressive and basically they are used as guineau pigs, you may have to tear the tank down to get them out and then what will you do with them? its not your fault you were talked into it, but i suggest you ask us here before listening to the lfs again, its great to see you here and welcome to the forum, hope to see you posting here and any questions just ask

To Reef Central
Thanks, I will. Well the store we got them from has a policy of letting you bring them back and giving you a refund after the cycling. They are the most helpful of any store we have gone to and been very happy to spend a lot of time trying to teach us. One of the employees told us to join this site as a matter of fact. Since you can return them I never thought it was bad, assumed they knew what was best. And with them refunding it isn't even a money making thing for them really. But I will now know you don't have to do that!

jball49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 12:41 PM   #155
NorthDakotaReef
Registered Member

Talking New to the hobby

Hello there. My name is Teddy. I am new to the hobby. I have been saving up to start for the last year and just got started a few weeks ago. I purchased a 90 gallon tank from a friend that is well established with the hobby. I was originally just going to get my 55 gallon started.
So, I have a 90 gallon tank with 120 pounds of liverock and 90 lbs of sand. I use a protein skimmer, surface skimmer, overflow, and biological and chemical methods of filtration. I light it with 2 175 watt metal halides 20,000K. I also am going to add t-5 or compact flourescent lighting here soon.
I am very excited as I have been wanting to do this for quite some time now.

NorthDakotaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 01:25 PM   #156
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: New to the hobby

Quote:
Originally posted by NorthDakotaReef
Hello there. My name is Teddy. I am new to the hobby. I have been saving up to start for the last year and just got started a few weeks ago. I purchased a 90 gallon tank from a friend that is well established with the hobby. I was originally just going to get my 55 gallon started.
So, I have a 90 gallon tank with 120 pounds of liverock and 90 lbs of sand. I use a protein skimmer, surface skimmer, overflow, and biological and chemical methods of filtration. I light it with 2 175 watt metal halides 20,000K. I also am going to add t-5 or compact flourescent lighting here soon.
I am very excited as I have been wanting to do this for quite some time now.

To Reef Central

Time to post some pictures

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2009, 07:20 AM   #157
Pigmonster
Registered Member

Good Morning, my name is Nicole and I am new to RC. Love this site! This is my go to place when I have questions. Currently I have 3 tanks, but the main is a 120 mixed reef running 2x150 hqi radiums with actinics. Starting in to sps, but like everything. The other two tanks are 12g aquapods. One houses a mantis, chromis, hippo tang, frags with a 70w xm20k. Other is basic pc with 2 ocellaris and a purple reef lobster. Thanks for offering a site like this!

Pigmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2009, 09:51 AM   #158
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Pigmonster
Good Morning, my name is Nicole and I am new to RC. Love this site! This is my go to place when I have questions. Currently I have 3 tanks, but the main is a 120 mixed reef running 2x150 hqi radiums with actinics. Starting in to sps, but like everything. The other two tanks are 12g aquapods. One houses a mantis, chromis, hippo tang, frags with a 70w xm20k. Other is basic pc with 2 ocellaris and a purple reef lobster. Thanks for offering a site like this!
hi-nicole great to see you here on our forum, hope you start a build thread or if you have any questions just ask

To Reef Central

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 04/28/2009, 12:45 PM   #159
Alleykat0498
Registered Member

Hey guy's I'm a noob to the whole SW realm. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a while just soaking up loads of info. I have had countless large and small Fresh aquariums and I currently have a 10 gallon fowlr up and running. I'm sure you guy's know what happens when you start with a fowlr... which explains what has lead me here. I look forward to learning and sharing my experience as it grows.

Alleykat0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2009, 05:03 PM   #160
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alleykat0498
Hey guy's I'm a noob to the whole SW realm. I've been lurking in the shadows here for a while just soaking up loads of info. I have had countless large and small Fresh aquariums and I currently have a 10 gallon fowlr up and running. I'm sure you guy's know what happens when you start with a fowlr... which explains what has lead me here. I look forward to learning and sharing my experience as it grows.

To Reef Central

glad you have come out of lurking--posting is a powerful component of the learning curve in this hobby

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/28/2009, 05:34 PM   #161
Whys
Moved On

This one is for Michael. Just incase he missed it in the other thread.

Whys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2009, 06:18 PM   #162
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whys
This one is for Michael. Just incase he missed it in the other thread.

I believe your signature says it all Whys

Unread 04/29/2009, 08:48 AM   #163
Danger Dave
Registered Member

Hi guys, I'm Dave and I'm new to saltwater. I have been a member here for a few months doing research, and getting to know the hobby and what is involved in it. I'm currently in the process of setting up my very first tank - a 14 gallon Biocube. I plan on having 2 or 3 small fish and maybe a few corals, but I think inverts are the most entertaining. After I feel comfortable with my experience, I would like to setup something along the lines of a 75-90 gallon maybe in a year or 2.

Danger Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2009, 10:04 AM   #164
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danger Dave
Hi guys, I'm Dave and I'm new to saltwater. I have been a member here for a few months doing research, and getting to know the hobby and what is involved in it. I'm currently in the process of setting up my very first tank - a 14 gallon Biocube. I plan on having 2 or 3 small fish and maybe a few corals, but I think inverts are the most entertaining. After I feel comfortable with my experience, I would like to setup something along the lines of a 75-90 gallon maybe in a year or 2.

To Reef Central

there are definetly advantages of starting with a small system however they are less forgiving of mistakes in water chemistry ect then are large tanks.

Unread 04/29/2009, 01:19 PM   #165
clayw
Moved On

Hello RC my name is clay, im new to the hobby, 6 months into it. My tank has been set up for four months. I have a 40g glass tank with 55lbs of LR, a HOB tetra filter rated for 55-75g tanks. Two power heads are going in next friday, the tank seems to be doing well and Im really enjoying it.
-clay

clayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2009, 02:31 PM   #166
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by clayw
Hello RC my name is clay, im new to the hobby, 6 months into it. My tank has been set up for four months. I have a 40g glass tank with 55lbs of LR, a HOB tetra filter rated for 55-75g tanks. Two power heads are going in next friday, the tank seems to be doing well and Im really enjoying it.
-clay
hi-clay, nice to see you here on the forum

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 04/29/2009, 06:57 PM   #167
ronman
Registered Member

hello every one my names ronnie im new to the rc and the saltwater side of the hobby altogether

ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2009, 07:15 PM   #168
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronman
hello every one my names ronnie im new to the rc and the saltwater side of the hobby altogether

To Reef Central

Do you have any idea what size of tank you are going to start with?

Unread 04/30/2009, 02:16 PM   #169
ronman
Registered Member

yea im going to start with my 75 gal tank with a 55 sump

Unread 04/30/2009, 03:53 PM   #170
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronman
yea im going to start with my 75 gal tank with a 55 sump
that's good---the larger the tank the more forgiving it is of mistakes we make in water chemistry

Unread 04/30/2009, 04:48 PM   #171
TAttel
Registered Member

What best to get started

Hi my name is Tim and brand new to SW. Can anyone tell me what would be the ideal tank size to start? I have been looking at 55gal but what about the all-in-one 29gal oceanics? Any opinions on which is the best starting tank with cost in mind? Thinking about marginal reef tank btw. Thanks.

TAttel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2009, 05:07 PM   #172
NtaFreshynemor
Registered Member

The Newbie

HI my name is Brad Im just getting into saltwater have had fresh for many years starting out with a 90 gallon tank and not sure what fish I want to put in there just know i have lots of possibilities and I would like to have an eel.

NtaFreshynemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2009, 05:16 PM   #173
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: What best to get started

Quote:
Originally posted by TAttel
Hi my name is Tim and brand new to SW. Can anyone tell me what would be the ideal tank size to start? I have been looking at 55gal but what about the all-in-one 29gal oceanics? Any opinions on which is the best starting tank with cost in mind? Thinking about marginal reef tank btw. Thanks.

To Reef Central

the larger the tank the better IMO. Larger tanks are more forgiving of mistakes in water chemistry ect then smaller ones.

Unread 04/30/2009, 05:17 PM   #174
ronman
Registered Member

yea i was gonna go with a 29 with 20 as a sump but i think i better get some time in be for i try small tanks bigger is better

Unread 04/30/2009, 05:21 PM   #175
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: The Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by NtaFreshynemor
HI my name is Brad Im just getting into saltwater have had fresh for many years starting out with a 90 gallon tank and not sure what fish I want to put in there just know i have lots of possibilities and I would like to have an eel.

To Reef Central

Have you decided what kind of tank you are going to have

fish only
fish only with live rock aka FOWLR
full reef---corals, fish and inverts

This decision should really be made first as it impacts on the type of fish you can keep

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral