Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2009, 06:44 PM   #1
ocarius
Registered Member

What do you guys feed your fish with?

Is there a good food product out there to feed my fish other than the DIY methods. I have a yellow tank, and two Clowns so I already have some food demand contrast and im feeding flake atm, and they are eating it up.. but I would like to go to the very best method of feeding them. Is there a good place to read up or do you guys through experince have some suggestions.

Thanks!

ocarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2009, 06:53 PM   #2
alextheromanian
Registered Member

yellow tang not tank....im sure its just a typo but just in case i hope this will prevent an awkward moment

some people mix their own foods...
some grow their own...

i have a tang and two clowns in my 75g and i feed them

frozen reef plankton
frozen mysis
frozen brine

food flakes
freezedried seaweed both red and green.

you can also add garlic to their food...(garlic x)
uhhhh vitachem
and selcon.

i mean....its good to mix it all up...occasionally add vitamins and supplements.

as a matter of fact im gonna piggy back on your thread since im curious to see what others are doing.

good post

Current Tank Info: 29g Reef, 75g FOWLR
alextheromanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2009, 07:10 PM   #3
FloatingFish
Registered Member

I feed mine (Tang, Foxface, And Wrasses) a half sheet of nori when I get home.
Then I feed them some Rods Food before lights out.

Current Tank Info: None
FloatingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2009, 08:11 PM   #4
fatdaddy
Registered Member

Mine eat whatever hits the tank. Just mix it up as I don't trust any particular food, but I figure a mixture will cover it.

My fish have grown considerably and two pairs spawn regularly, so they seem to be thriving.

Unread 05/05/2009, 08:26 PM   #5
BucNtears
Registered Member

I'm useing Rods Food as well. Everything in tank goes crazy when I feed.

Current Tank Info: 120 with 75 sump/fuge
BucNtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2009, 08:39 PM   #6
fender4string
Registered Member

My staple food I feed my fish is New Life Spectrum pellets-these were recommended to me by a lot of people here on RC. They are apparently one of the best, if not the best, prepared foods you can feed your fish. I feed NLS twice daily. The fish go nuts for it to .

I also feed mysis, nori, and a mix I made composed of scallops, squid, shrimp, some finely chopped nori, NLS pellets, a little garlic, and selcon. I feed one of these foods once a day on an alternating basis.

fender4string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 04:08 AM   #7
Tangweed
Registered Member

Flakes, pellets, nori and mysis schrimp.

Current Tank Info: 90 gal with 40 gal breeder sump / fuge, Octo skimmer, lights and some water.
Tangweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 05:58 AM   #8
drparker
Registered Member

+3 for Rod's food.

drparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 06:29 AM   #9
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

iam at the point that i need a spread sheet to keep track of what i feed

Just make it a varity..i feed flake pellets frozen and home made ect

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 06:54 AM   #10
BPKlein
Registered Member

Hikari frozen mysis and H2O Life brand Spirulina/brine shrimp. Those are thawed and rinsed. I also use New Life Spectrum Cichlid pellets. (the small ones) The cichlid pellets are high in spirulina. Once a day the tank gets a 1/2 sheet of red or green algae.

SailFin Tang, Foxface, Solon Fairy wrasse, Fathead Anthia, pajama cardinals and chromis'.

135 Gallon LPS/Softie, T5 Lights
BPKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 07:29 AM   #11
Ohiomom
Registered Member

+1 on the spectrum..all inclusive stuff..also nori sheets..sometimes some extra treats..

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

Current Tank Info: 75 galllon reef, T5HO love em!
Ohiomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 08:07 AM   #12
IslandCrow
Reef Monkey

Quote:
but I would like to go to the very best method of feeding them.
I feed my fish with my hands (reference thread title). . .

Just to make sure we're answering your question, are you asking what to feed your fish or how (i.e. what method) to feed them?

Sorry if I'm reading too much into your question, but you got an English major, so I probably pay too much attention to how things are written.

-Mike C.

Current Tank Info: I have a reef screen saver on my phone, does that count?
IslandCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 08:29 AM   #13
Ohiomom
Registered Member

"Is there a good food product out there to feed my fish other than the DIY methods."

Was in the OP thread..first line so that is what people are referencing..

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect.

It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

Current Tank Info: 75 galllon reef, T5HO love em!
Ohiomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 11:02 AM   #14
reeferstace
I'm a little people

Rod's Food herbivore blend

Unread 05/06/2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Superstretch18
Registered Member

Two types of flakes, frozen mysis, reef chili and my own secret recipe. Anytime that I'm eating seafood, my fish have what I'm having too (unseasoned, uncooked of course)...

...like making a pen that works in space. Yes, you spent $1 billion NASA and got it to work, good job. But totally impractical when the Russians spent a few cents and simply used pencils...

Current Tank Info: TBD
Superstretch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 11:45 AM   #16
xJake
Registered Member

Basically, I feed w/e is available in our lab or w/e live food culture I have ready to feed out.

The list includes:

Frozen/Refigerated Foods:

Raw "Cocktail" Shrimp (chopped)
Raw Whitefish (Cod or Pollock) (chopped)
Raw Squid (chopped)
Silversides (chopped)
Raw Muscles or Clams (or w/e bivalve we have in stock) (shucked and chopped)
Jumbo Krill
Baby Krill
PE Mysis
Hikari Mysis
Cyclop-eeze
Blood Worms
Daphnia
Brine Shrimp
Baby Brine Shrimp
Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp

Herbivorous "grazing" foods (provides limited nutritional value, but allows for behavioral enrichment for grazing animals):
Blanched Chinese Cabbage (Bok Choy)
Blanched Romaine Lettuce
Blanched Spinach
Blanched Iceberg Lettuce (only occasionally, usually as a last resort; almost no nutritional value - cellulose and water are the two main components)
Blanched Collard/Mustard Greens

I simply "blanch" the greens in the microwave by wetting the leaves with water and then heating them for a few seconds just to soften everything. I'll usually do this in a plastic bag or another partially-sealed container.

Live Foods:

Mysid (Mysidopsis bahia)
Baby Brine Shrimp
Rotifers
Phytoplankton (only occasionally; about twice a month)
Various Marine Macroalgae/seaweed (we will occasionally have leftovers from research projects and classes where it was needed; it is kept refrigerated)
Cultured Caulerpa, Ulva, and Chaetomorpha Macroalgae (to those fish who will eat them)

Freeze-Dried/Dried Foods:

Raw "Sun-dried" Nori (un-toasted) (ordered in bulk wholesale packages)
Pellets and Flakes (only occasionally)
Jumbo Krill
Blood worms
Cyclop-eeze
Daphnia
Baby Shrimp (Sun-dried Gammarus Shrimp; Tetra-brand)
Red, Brown, Purple, and Green Dried Marine Algae (TLF-brand mostly, but sometimes SFB-brand)

We have a few dozen types of HUFA, and Vitamin supplements, but I don't normally use them for feeding the reef systems.

These supplements include:

Garlic Guard
Vitachem
Super Selco
Selcon
Zoecon
Various Vitamin tablets and pastes for certain animals and for animal research purposes (the only one that specifically comes to mind is a shark/ray nutritional supplement)
etc. (chances are if it exists then we have a bottle of it somewhere)

We also feed gelatin-based mixes. You can buy commercially manufactured mixes (herbivorous, carnivorous, or omnivorous blends) and then simply add hot water and refrigerate or freeze (then thaw; obviously). These are great for feeding doses of internal medications as they can be blended right into a whatever amount of food the animal will eat in a day/week. Then the animal receives the correct dosage when fed the correct amount of the medication-laced food. Also, the gelatin creates a much more rubbery/meat-like texture, which I assume is more appealing to most animals than hard/crunchy/dry pellets or flakes.

Basically, you can pretty much feed w/e you'd like or w/e is most available and affordable. Most of the meaty foods contain the same basic nutritional profile, and most herbivores (notably your Yellow Tang) will eat the dried marine algae that I mentioned above.

Last edited by xJake; 05/06/2009 at 12:04 PM.
xJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 12:20 PM   #17
eyesinthedrk
Registered Member

every day when i get home i feed either flake, dried krill, ot formula 2 pellets, on a rotating basis

at night before lights out i feed either frozen mysis, emeald entrai (sp), frozen cyclopse, grated table shrimp, grated oysters, or grated red fish guts, (people down hear do a lot of fishing for red fish, they keep the meat i take the carcasses home freeze the guts and some tissue in to a block and pass the block over the cheese grater when i want to feed) also on a rotating basis

nothing in my tank likes nori well except the clraner shrimp

Current Tank Info: SPS dominated, 125 gallon dt with 3 Apollo reef LED pendants, Apex Controler. 100 gal basement sump, 100 gallon basement fuge, euro reef skimmer, reef octopu s cr140 calcium reactor. Phos an reactor.
eyesinthedrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Superstretch18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eyesinthedrk
...grated red fish guts, (people down hear do a lot of fishing for red fish, they keep the meat i take the carcasses home freeze the guts and some tissue in to a block and pass the block over the cheese grater when i want to feed)
The fish guts is a great idea! One of the major flaws with making your own fish food is that you use a lot of lean muscle protein, but completely miss the other nutrients that are in the rest of the fish's body and stomach contents. I probably wouldn't use anything large and/or pelagic for fear of mercury, but I have to see if I can get some snapper guts down here! Definitely adding to my secret recipe! Thanks!

Superstretch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 02:10 PM   #19
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

All of the above are good recommendations.
Just PE mysis and a Formula Variety Pack is a good start for a newbie IMHO.
Add some Cyclopeze and Selcon and you are good to go.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Uncle Salty 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 02:49 PM   #20
joemck
Registered Member

so we are supposed to feed them too!!!???

j/k

I was told that brine shrimp to fish is like feeding tater chips to a kid.

is that true?

Current Tank Info: 65 RR
joemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 03:10 PM   #21
KarlBob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joemck
I was told that brine shrimp to fish is like feeding tater chips to a kid.

is that true?
Adult brine shrimp? Yes, it's pretty close. Junk food. If you have to feed brine shrimp to your fish, you can improve the nutrition by soaking the shrimp in Selcon, VitaChem, or one of the other supplements on the market.

Brine shrimp nauplii (hatchlings)? No. Not the same as a steady diet of Pringles. Baby brine shrimp still have their yolk sack, which contains some good nutrition.

Really, every food has benefits and drawbacks. That's why we're encouraged to feed our fish several different things in rotation. That way, brine shrimp day is roughage day, and other days provide more nutrition.

Current Tank Info: No tanks for now. Starting over in Austin sometime next year.
KarlBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 04:40 PM   #22
ocarius
Registered Member

I have some formula 1 and 2 that is like a Gel based but Im having a hard time figuring out how to put it in the tank

ocarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 10:22 PM   #23
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xJake
Basically, I feed w/e is available in our lab or w/e live food culture I have ready to feed out.

The list includes:

Frozen/Refigerated Foods:

Raw "Cocktail" Shrimp (chopped)
Raw Whitefish (Cod or Pollock) (chopped)
Raw Squid (chopped)
Silversides (chopped)
Raw Muscles or Clams (or w/e bivalve we have in stock) (shucked and chopped)
Jumbo Krill
Baby Krill
PE Mysis
Hikari Mysis
Cyclop-eeze
Blood Worms
Daphnia
Brine Shrimp
Baby Brine Shrimp
Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp

Herbivorous "grazing" foods (provides limited nutritional value, but allows for behavioral enrichment for grazing animals):
Blanched Chinese Cabbage (Bok Choy)
Blanched Romaine Lettuce
Blanched Spinach
Blanched Iceberg Lettuce (only occasionally, usually as a last resort; almost no nutritional value - cellulose and water are the two main components)
Blanched Collard/Mustard Greens

I simply "blanch" the greens in the microwave by wetting the leaves with water and then heating them for a few seconds just to soften everything. I'll usually do this in a plastic bag or another partially-sealed container.

Live Foods:

Mysid (Mysidopsis bahia)
Baby Brine Shrimp
Rotifers
Phytoplankton (only occasionally; about twice a month)
Various Marine Macroalgae/seaweed (we will occasionally have leftovers from research projects and classes where it was needed; it is kept refrigerated)
Cultured Caulerpa, Ulva, and Chaetomorpha Macroalgae (to those fish who will eat them)

Freeze-Dried/Dried Foods:

Raw "Sun-dried" Nori (un-toasted) (ordered in bulk wholesale packages)
Pellets and Flakes (only occasionally)
Jumbo Krill
Blood worms
Cyclop-eeze
Daphnia
Baby Shrimp (Sun-dried Gammarus Shrimp; Tetra-brand)
Red, Brown, Purple, and Green Dried Marine Algae (TLF-brand mostly, but sometimes SFB-brand)

We have a few dozen types of HUFA, and Vitamin supplements, but I don't normally use them for feeding the reef systems.

These supplements include:

Garlic Guard
Vitachem
Super Selco
Selcon
Zoecon
Various Vitamin tablets and pastes for certain animals and for animal research purposes (the only one that specifically comes to mind is a shark/ray nutritional supplement)
etc. (chances are if it exists then we have a bottle of it somewhere)

We also feed gelatin-based mixes. You can buy commercially manufactured mixes (herbivorous, carnivorous, or omnivorous blends) and then simply add hot water and refrigerate or freeze (then thaw; obviously). These are great for feeding doses of internal medications as they can be blended right into a whatever amount of food the animal will eat in a day/week. Then the animal receives the correct dosage when fed the correct amount of the medication-laced food. Also, the gelatin creates a much more rubbery/meat-like texture, which I assume is more appealing to most animals than hard/crunchy/dry pellets or flakes.

Basically, you can pretty much feed w/e you'd like or w/e is most available and affordable. Most of the meaty foods contain the same basic nutritional profile, and most herbivores (notably your Yellow Tang) will eat the dried marine algae that I mentioned above.
a great list Jake

this thread also has a great introduction on what and how to feed nutritionally

It was also written by a biologist--you guys are handy to have around
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 10:51 PM   #24
xJake
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
a great list Jake

this thread also has a great introduction on what and how to feed nutritionally

It was also written by a biologist--you guys are handy to have around
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1
I don't agree with a lot of what he has posted in that thread. The following jumped out at me, forcing me to question his credibility:

Quote:
No matter the types of foods you use, you must use some supplements. Your fish are caged. They can't seek out the tidbits that provide those trace compounds (e.g., vitamins and fats) they need to round out their optimal health. Fish can't produce all the vitamins and fats they need to live. So, you have to provide it.
If you provide your fish with a varied diet containing items that they would feed on in nature, then you don't need to supplement your foods for "optimal health." Just the simple fact that he states "No matter the types of foods you use..." should make you question the accuracy of his claims. He provides absolutely no evidence to support his claims, so unless I see a comprehensive study that even comes close to supporting this statement then I won't believe it.

Quote:
To a small degree the health of our fish depend upon obtaining some nutrients directly from the water they swim in. They need and use trace elements found in their water environment. Where we fail them sometimes is keeping them long term in water that doesn't contain these elements or contains these elements in concentrations too low for them.

The use of synthetic sea salts and saltwater mixes isn't the problem. The problem is sometimes we aquarists 'over clean' the water. The worst offender is activated carbon. Activated carbon removes organics the first week it is put into our system. After that it removes trace elements (and sometimes adds phosphates). It's the removal of trace elements we need to be watchful for. I've had long-term success with using carbon or carbon-like substances every other week and each time no more than 5-7 days, then removing it from the system to prevent the abnormal depletion of trace elements.

Adding small quantities of trace elements to a fish only aquarium is recommended.

In addition, for this reason (if not for the many other reasons) make sure you perform regular water changes (10% per week; 25% every three-four weeks; or more often).
Again, his claims seem rather sketchy. He doesn't support them with any credible sources, and I've never heard of a fish being able to directly absorb elements (or anything, except water, for that matter) from the water column, so this sounds extremely far-fetched to me.

Also, I've never heard of a fish's health being negatively affected by a "lack of trace elements" in the water column due to overusing activated carbon. Commercially produced flakes and pellets designed for ornamental marine fish provide virtually every major and minor element that a fish needs for "optimal" health.

Feeding a varied diet that is appropriate for your individual animals is enough to maintain their "optimal" health. If I were to be worried about a lack of trace elements negatively effecting ANYTHING in my tank, the first thing I would consider is my corals - NOT my fish. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Most of his "suggestions" and ideas (which he seems to be stating as "fact") seem to be supported only by speculation and his own hypotheses, and it doesn't seem very accurate to me. I'm sure he meant well, but I just don't buy into most of his claims.

xJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2009, 06:12 AM   #25
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xJake
I don't agree with a lot of what he has posted in that thread. The following jumped out at me, forcing me to question his credibility:

If you provide your fish with a varied diet containing items that they would feed on in nature, then you don't need to supplement your foods for "optimal health." Just the simple fact that he states "No matter the types of foods you use..." should make you question the accuracy of his claims. He provides absolutely no evidence to support his claims, so unless I see a comprehensive study that even comes close to supporting this statement then I won't believe it.

Again, his claims seem rather sketchy. He doesn't support them with any credible sources, and I've never heard of a fish being able to directly absorb elements (or anything, except water, for that matter) from the water column, so this sounds extremely far-fetched to me.

Also, I've never heard of a fish's health being negatively affected by a "lack of trace elements" in the water column due to overusing activated carbon. Commercially produced flakes and pellets designed for ornamental marine fish provide virtually every major and minor element that a fish needs for "optimal" health.

Feeding a varied diet that is appropriate for your individual animals is enough to maintain their "optimal" health. If I were to be worried about a lack of trace elements negatively effecting ANYTHING in my tank, the first thing I would consider is my corals - NOT my fish. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Most of his "suggestions" and ideas (which he seems to be stating as "fact") seem to be supported only by speculation and his own hypotheses, and it doesn't seem very accurate to me. I'm sure he meant well, but I just don't buy into most of his claims.
Jake---glad to hear your perspective. I would be fantastic if you could repost this on the original posters thread. I for one and I am sure many others would enjoy further discussing this with you.
You have certainly raised some questions in my mind but don't want to hijack the original posters thread here.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote