Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/24/2005, 05:16 PM   #176
Warboc
Registered Member.

I will be replacing the MH bulbs in my light within the next week or so. I'll post pictures after doing so. Likely going to use a pair of Ushio 150W 20K bulbs.

Warboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2005, 05:26 PM   #177
mcox33
Registered Member

j

Current Tank Info: 90 Saltwater Reef, 2 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 65 watt PC, 1 x 24 watt 48" T-5 + 4 blue led's, Dual chamber MRC Calcium Reactor, Huge DIY Kalkwasser reactor (made by someone else) Auto Top Off and Aquatecture Plus Skimmer
mcox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2005, 05:29 PM   #178
mcox33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dtprkr
Would 220 total watts MH from Aquatraders be enough lighting for a 55 gallon tank with soft corals? I'm interested in the 48 inch (55 watt x4). If not, what how much wattage do you suggest?

thanks

Probably if not add a HO T-5 or two and it should do fine. I'm currently running HO T-12 blue and 8X55W PC on a 90 gallon. (2 units of PC's fom Jebo) However the 90 is deeper and wider than your 55 gallon. So one should be enough for softies.

Current Tank Info: 90 Saltwater Reef, 2 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 65 watt PC, 1 x 24 watt 48" T-5 + 4 blue led's, Dual chamber MRC Calcium Reactor, Huge DIY Kalkwasser reactor (made by someone else) Auto Top Off and Aquatecture Plus Skimmer
Old 01/24/2005, 05:42 PM   #179
mcox33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kelley_mc
I ordered a light from Aquatraders that included free bulbs and when I received it the bulb was broken. Get this, I called the number and they said that because it is "free" that they do not need to replace it. If I am willing to pay $7.00 for shipping they will send me a replacement! Can you believe this? Not only that but they were RUDE and would not offer any assistance. The way I see it is that if they promise something and they don't deliver it, they are liable.

Here is my warning, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. The packaging SUCKS, all they did was wrap scrap pieces of cardboard around the original THIN box. Then when items get damaged in shipment, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO LOSES! Even the ballast that came with the lights rattles when you rock is back and forth like something is loose or broken.

The bulbs were probably included free due to just this problem of breaking in shipping. There is probably no sure fire way of packing well enough to ensure no breakage that is why the bulbs are free. Most people selling these units on ebay will say free bulbs if you want them but that they will not replace any bulbs broken in shipping. Although they did replace mine before they started stating no guarantee on bulbs. I just had to pay shipping or they would include it free with my next order. I opted for free with next order. I think all this has to do with the fact that PC bulbs are super fragile!

Old 01/24/2005, 05:50 PM   #180
cmcgehee01
Registered Member

I ordered & received this same light from Aquatrader.com. At time of order, it stated that bulbs were free & no warranty of any kind against being broken, however, if they were broken in transit they would replace them at $7.00 each. I decided to take the gamble due to the price saving & if they got broken in shipment, I would have odered new ones for the $7.00.

cmcgehee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2005, 07:21 PM   #181
Steel_Phoenix
Registered Member

I used to ship delicate glass items for a living and I know it is poeeible to package them so they will not break short of being hit with a basreball bat. I think when you order from a cheap company you have to expect them to cut corners. If it were me I wouldn't consider it worth my time to argue with them, but I would never shop there again after such poor service. In fact, after hearing about your service I may not shop there. It sounds like most people are in agreement that their bulbs suck anyway and seem to be replacing them with good bulbs before long.

Steel_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2005, 08:52 PM   #182
kelley_mc
Registered Member

Warboc, the package was left so I could not refuse it. As for the package, it was not damaged that I could see. Again, it was not a box but a bunch of pieces of cardboard taped together.

Current Tank Info: 37 gal AGA with 20 gal sump/refugium, Coralife Super Skimmer 125, Current Sunpaq 150 watt MH, 2 Koralia Nanos for flow, Ebo Jager 200 and 150 watt heaters, 65 lbs LR (Fiji, Caribbean, Uaniva), Chaeto, Quiet One 4000 return pump, 24 watt UV sterilizer
kelley_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2005, 08:55 PM   #183
kelley_mc
Registered Member

I agree Steel_Phoenix, I will not shop there again. I am shocked that so many people here think it is ok to receive something that is damaged and have to pay more to have what should be included for free. I just don't get it. But I guess I like to get what I pay for, not what I might get if I am lucky.

Current Tank Info: 37 gal AGA with 20 gal sump/refugium, Coralife Super Skimmer 125, Current Sunpaq 150 watt MH, 2 Koralia Nanos for flow, Ebo Jager 200 and 150 watt heaters, 65 lbs LR (Fiji, Caribbean, Uaniva), Chaeto, Quiet One 4000 return pump, 24 watt UV sterilizer
kelley_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2005, 02:07 PM   #184
Warboc
Registered Member.

I started a thread about the ballasts/bulbs for the 48" MH unit. Check here for information:

Ballast/Bulb Thread

Old 01/26/2005, 02:34 PM   #185
IUnknown
Registered Member

I'm confused. I thought the ad said that they were "Quality tested external electronic ballast. " I thought that these were electronic ballasts that could be used with any HQI DE.

IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2005, 04:02 PM   #186
Warboc
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by IUnknown
I'm confused. I thought the ad said that they were "Quality tested external electronic ballast. " I thought that these were electronic ballasts that could be used with any HQI DE.
I am too. I am new to this though. I thought that if it was an electroinic ballast then it signified it was for a a DE bulb.

I wanted to get feedback though and took those pictures of the actual ballasts.

Old 01/26/2005, 06:02 PM   #187
IUnknown
Registered Member

When I talked to the guy at the store, he assured me that they were electronic ballast and not magnetic. I told him that the unit I had currently was magnetic and that I didn't like the hum it made, and wanted to switch over. Don't bother with the email, its useless, you have to call them (650) 872-1993.

IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2005, 07:08 PM   #188
Warboc
Registered Member.

IUnknown,

I called and spoke with Alfred (hope I got the name right) there for about 10 minutes and he was very helpful. I mentioned to him that I have loooked at the ballasts and it appears to be a magnetic ballast instead of an electronic ballast. I said that such ballasts are usually designed for single edge MH bulbs.

His response to me was that this particular unit is quality tested by the manufacturer and in their store with HQI DE bulbs. He says that there is no problem using any brand of HQI DE 150W bulbs in the unit. He was very specific to say not to go over 150W bulbs (common sense here I know).

I told him that each of my bulbs are putting out a slightly different color. He said that is likely because they get the bulbs in bulk (hence the free bulbs) and they can not guarantee that the colors will match up exactly.

When I asked him what brand the bulbs are, he said they are Odyssea brand. He says they are not labeled at all (which I have noticed) except on the boxes they receive them in. He told me that he can sell me new bulbs (same brand) for $25 each but could not guarantee they would match.

At the end of the conversation, I asked again if I can safely use HQI bulbs in the unit and he said yes.

Dunno how much trust I can place in his re-assurance but at the very least he was kind and courteous to me and spent quite a while on the phone with me.

A personal observation: The ballst unit does not seem to be running hot at all with the exisitng bulbs. Heck, it is barely even warm to the touch.

I will likely try a pair of Ushio DE 20k bulbs in the unit next week.

Old 01/26/2005, 07:41 PM   #189
Marcelog
Premium Member

Warboc,

Thanks for checking in with the store and getting info for us all.

I see you are sticking with 20K and not trying 10K. Mind if I ask why the 20 instead of 10 or 14?

Marcelo -

Marcelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2005, 08:10 PM   #190
Warboc
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcelog
Warboc,

Thanks for checking in with the store and getting info for us all.

I see you are sticking with 20K and not trying 10K. Mind if I ask why the 20 instead of 10 or 14?

Marcelo -
I honestly am not sure what is "best" for the livestock in the tank, 10k, 10k, 14k. I am new to this as I said before.

However, I am going by pictures I saw (can't remember the website now) that had countless pictures comparisons of different bulbs side by side. I liked that one best.

With that being said, the CoralValue 10k (I believe that's the one) looked very nice as well.

I assume by your question that 10k or 14k would be better?

Old 01/26/2005, 08:50 PM   #191
Marcelog
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warboc
I assume by your question that 10k or 14k would be better?
From what I've been reading here and elsewhere, 10K seem to bring better growth.

Unfortuenately, at $50-80 a bulb, it's not easy to experiment between the different values.

Do you happen to remember the url for the site you used to make your decision?

Marcelo -

Old 01/26/2005, 09:03 PM   #192
Warboc
Registered Member.

I can't use the search function right now (limited use to premium members only during peak times like now) but you should be able to. I think if you search for 150 in thread titles you should be able to find one of the sites with the picture comparisons.

Better yet, maybe someone will read this and post the link.

Old 01/26/2005, 09:09 PM   #193
Warboc
Registered Member.

One more thing...

Any of you know other sources aside from customaquatic.com and hellolights.com to buy DE MH bulbs?

For that matter, is there any sort of pet store or even a lighting/fixtures store chain that sells MH bulbs?

Old 01/26/2005, 09:54 PM   #194
Warboc
Registered Member.

I posted this in another thread but will post it here too.

In looking into this further, I see at least one brand of DE bulbs that specifically supports a M102 ballast.

Iwasaki 20k & 50k DE bulbs.

More info here

Old 01/27/2005, 01:49 AM   #195
mjstech
Registered Member

i think the webpage link was on marine depot to check the light output pictures.

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon glass - started 5/23/16
mjstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2005, 01:52 AM   #196
mjstech
Registered Member

damn i'm good...

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...on.asp?CartId=

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon glass - started 5/23/16
mjstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2005, 06:41 AM   #197
Marcelog
Premium Member

A few more...

http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/ltg_bulb_color.htm
and
http://metricksystem.com/chris/250wcolour/

Marcelo -

Old 01/27/2005, 11:11 AM   #198
Warboc
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcelog
http://metricksystem.com/chris/250wcolour/

Marcelo -
That's the one I remembered!

By the way, I ordered a pair of Ushio 10k bulbs to try in the fixture. Should have them in by this time next week so I'll post some feedback on whether or not they work heh....

Old 01/27/2005, 11:20 AM   #199
reelfreak
Registered Member

I think marcelo is right about the growth under 10k....I hear growth under 10k is much faster than 20k, but the 20k is nice to look at!!

Current Tank Info: 125g / 6x80 T5s 90w LED Hybrid DIY, Apex, WAVs,Skimz SM161,Tunze Osmolator
reelfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2005, 11:44 AM   #200
Marcelog
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warboc
By the way, I ordered a pair of Ushio 10k bulbs to try in the fixture. Should have them in by this time next week so I'll post some feedback on whether or not they work heh....
Be sure and let us know how they work out. Post some before/after pictures as well.

Marcelo -