Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2006, 02:47 PM   #1
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

oldest piece of coral in your tank

the caulastra in the center of the photo is 13 years in my system.it has produced frags that i traded off many times.it was 3 heads originally .what is your oldest coral.[IMG]http://[/IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...i-DSCF0031.JPG

rigleautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 02:55 PM   #2
SPSFiend
Registered Member

This Maxima clam is supposedly 59 yrs old....

This euphylia has been in this tank for about 3.5 years (same for the derasa clam)...

[IMG] http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/...78CIMG1996.JPG [/IMG]

Here's a picture of it out of the water:

Gerry

Current Tank Info: Custom 32x32x24 Rimless. Previous tanks: 180G Reef and 120G Reef
SPSFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 03:02 PM   #3
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

thats a handful.i had a torch frogspawn that i had 10 years .i thought i killed it last time i fragged it.i damaged the mother colony and it died but there was 4 babies out the side of the branches and i am currently growing them out.they are about as big as a baseball now,one year later

TOTM December 2010
Coral Magazine Sept/Oct 2012

Current Tank Info: 180 gal SPS dominated display, 3 X 250 watt Radiums , lumenarc III minis , with VHO actinics, ETS downdraft skimmers, closed loops and 2 Tunze 6105 & 7095 controller,DIY calcium reactors DIY custom built sumps,since 1992
rigleautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Paco1l1d
Registered Member

In my tank back in colorado, I have a trachyphyllia thats been in the tank for 5 years now. there's a pic. in my profile if you want to sort through all of them

Current Tank Info: 90 starfire cube colorful stick tank, 5 gallon fuge, 10 gal sump
Paco1l1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 03:19 PM   #5
bboats
Premium Member

my branching hammer has been in ther for at least 3 to 4 years and keeps on growing!

bboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 03:35 PM   #6
nigel
Registered Member

Had a leather over 7 years , thats how long it was in my setup .
Grew to over a foot wide.

nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2006, 04:10 PM   #7
Timbor
Registered Member

We should get PaulB on this thread... hes got the 35 year old reef. I bet hes got some oldies!

Tim

Current Tank Info: None currently
Timbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Paul B
Premium Member

Not as old as some of you guys. I think my bubble is about ten, maybe eight I don't know.

One of my experiments didn't go exactly as planned a few years ago and I lost most of my older corals.
Paul

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 07:31 AM   #9
skeeter-doc
Moved On

i have a few corals that I had even before I ever met my wife! I guess that puts them at about 7-8 years now, lucky corals, lol

skeeter-doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 08:37 AM   #10
Rendos
Registered Member

I have had this trachyphyllia for almost 8 years.

This is a top view of the same coral.

Current Tank Info: 92 gallon corner bowfront
Rendos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 09:43 AM   #11
stereomandan
Premium Member

Cool idea for a thread. I don't have a pic right now, but I have a couple that are 5 years old... My frogspawn (which has been fragged at least a dozen times), green star polyps.

Dan

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon Reef
stereomandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 09:57 AM   #12
dvmsn
Registered Member

I have some red mushrooms that have been in my possesion since 1993.

dvmsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 11:34 AM   #13
Paul B
Premium Member

Oh I forgot about green star polyps, I have them for about 15 years. It's hard to tell because they grow on everything.
Paul

Unread 08/31/2006, 12:14 PM   #14
Amphiprion
Premium Member

Oldest coral is an 11 year old Trachyphyllia, followed by a 10 year old Plerogyra. Although sea anemones don't count, I have had one in the tank with the corals for longer than that.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 12:38 PM   #15
kass03
Registered Member

I still have my first coral I bought 23 yrs ago. It's a bubble coral.
It is'nt doing well though as I had to move it to my 150 which has high nitrates right now cuz it was stinging everything in my 55.

Im working on the 150 now changing the sump and stuff to try to get the nitrates reduced.

kass

kass03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Paul B
Premium Member

Kass that is fantastic. Mine is maybe ten and it also doesen't look too good. I have been so busy that I have really been neglecting my tank. I will try to do some much needed maintenance.
But 23 years is the best I have ever heard.
Paul

Unread 08/31/2006, 07:35 PM   #17
stereomandan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kass03
I still have my first coral I bought 23 yrs ago. It's a bubble coral.
It is'nt doing well though as I had to move it to my 150 which has high nitrates right now cuz it was stinging everything in my 55.

Im working on the 150 now changing the sump and stuff to try to get the nitrates reduced.

kass
Holy cow!! How big is it by now? Have you fragged it?

Dan

Unread 08/31/2006, 08:00 PM   #18
rcmike
Registered Member

I have my first coral, a devils hand leather that I bought around 1994 and it is still doing very well. I guess the LFS knew what he was doing when he recommended it. It is huge and has survived several beginner mistakes and lots of bad luck. The funny thing is I thought it was dead right after I got it. I didn't know they shrunk when they were stressed so I got pretty worried when I took it out of the bag. It took a few months in my pretty sad tank to even extend it's polyps.

Current Tank Info: 110 oceanic, 2 Radion Pros, 2 MP40s, Apex controller
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 08:32 PM   #19
DKKA
Registered Member

The big leather at the top of this tank is 13-14 years old. I regularly cut it back to a stump, othewise it would take over the tank.
I also have the first coral I ever bought. The green striped mushrooms (below the toadstool) are 15 years old...well, they are clones of the original colony anyway. I thought I had gotten rid of them all at one point, but they are making a comeback. I have GSP's taking over another tank that are about the same age.

Dan

Unread 08/31/2006, 08:40 PM   #20
stereomandan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DKKA

The big leather at the top of this tank is 13-14 years old. I regularly cut it back to a stump, othewise it would take over the tank.
I also have the first coral I ever bought. The green striped mushrooms (below the toadstool) are 15 years old...well, they are clones of the original colony anyway. I thought I had gotten rid of them all at one point, but they are making a comeback. I have GSP's taking over another tank that are about the same age.

Dan
How do you cut it to a stump? I'm curious because I have a HUGE (12"W x 17"H) green sinularia (sp?) that I need to cut back. It's about 10x the size of yours in the upper left corner of your tank. No kidding.

Unread 08/31/2006, 08:52 PM   #21
JJohn
Registered Member

My Hydnophora and Sarcophyton are over ten years old and my sinularia is right at ten. This year, I got rid of all my old LPS's and most of the softies to move to SPS.

The Sinularia has reached basketball size twice. The sarcophyton is the most beautiful one I have ever seen and has outgrown my tank three times only to be discarded and regrown from one of small buds growing at its base.

My anemone (sort of off topic) is probably many decades old but I have only owned it for ten years. Its clownfish pair are ten also.

John

JJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 09:05 PM   #22
dvmsn
Registered Member

My red mushrooms lived through an entire tank crash while I was on my honeymoon and sat in a tank without any circulation and about $1500 worth of dead coral for almost a week.

dvmsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 09:07 PM   #23
AZDesertRat
Moved On

I've had the sebae anemone in the middle of the tank with the clown peeking out for almost 15 years now.

AZDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2006, 10:17 PM   #24
DKKA
Registered Member

Quote:
How do you cut it to a stump?
With scissors... (sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, just cut off all the branches until all that's left is trunk. The above photo shows the cutting I did about 8 mos ago. Other times I've cut it back even more severly. It always responds with vigorous growth no matter how much I cut it.

Dan

Unread 08/31/2006, 10:31 PM   #25
stereomandan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DKKA

With scissors... (sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, just cut off all the branches until all that's left is trunk. The above photo shows the cutting I did about 8 mos ago. Other times I've cut it back even more severly. It always responds with vigorous growth no matter how much I cut it.

Dan
Dang!!! That is some serious cutting. Do you superglue the frags to LR rubble for frags?

Dan