Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2006, 08:55 AM   #1
yeldarbj
Registered Member

Another AquaC Remora Question

I've been running my AquaC Remora skimmer on my 65g tank for about 4 months now, so my breakin period should be long gone. It is fully stocked fish-wise with some corals (softies & LPS). All water parameters are in check with the exception of a little nitrate (10-20 ppm).

I'm only getting about 1-2 tablespoons of skim per week and it's set to the wettest setting. I had been running a cannister filter in addition to the skimmer with mechanical and chemical filtration. I removed all of the mechanical filtration (foam pads) several weeks ago to see if it would improve the skimmer output. No change. Last week I removed all chemical media (Purigen & Chemipure carbon) to see if that would help my Remora produce more, but still no increase in skimmate.

Any suggestions?

I'm about ready to load up the cannister again because at least it was collecting stuff and my water was much cleaner.

Do I need to send the skimmer back to AquaC to have them check it out? I've been in touch with their customer service (which is outstanding by the way). They said I could send it to them for inspection.

yeldarbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 09:32 AM   #2
scooter21
Registered Member

What pump are you using?

-Scott-

scooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 09:47 AM   #3
yeldarbj
Registered Member

MJ 1200 and using the skimmer box.

Unread 12/31/2006, 12:09 PM   #4
pjf
Premium Member

In the Same Boat

yeldarbj,

Please keep us posted regarding the inspection of your Remora by AquaC.

I have a similar setup as yours (Remora, MJ1200, skimmer box). At the wettest setting (o-ring removed), I have no more skimmate than you. I have not had a response from AquaC so I am very interested in finding out what is wrong with many of the Remora skimmers.

It is frustrating to hear how other users of these skimmers are having such luck and yet be one of the few with a skimmer that doesn't seem to work.

BTW, have you checked or cleaned the injector in your skimmer with the supplied brush?

Thanks!

pjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

My Urchin goes like crazy with phosban in the sump---and the o-ring set to 1" from the top. I did find it skims a lot better with the hose connected from the pump to the skimmer---darned thing fell off this week.

I'm told the brush needs to be used about 2x a year under ordinary circumstances, and another of my damp discoveries---turn off the pump before you undo that little nylon screw! and hang onto the screw when you undo it---you have to take the whole rig out if you drop it into the guts...

Maintenance on these is so easy, except for the little futzes! I have a love-hate relationship with mine, on a 52g, and also wish it had a bigger top.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 12:51 PM   #6
mikeosoft
Registered Member

If your water parameters are staying steadily in check I wouldn't be too worried.

If there's nothing to skim then there's nothing to skim.

Now, if you start getting huge nutrient spikes and it's still not pulling much out, you might need to look into it.

mikeosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 12:57 PM   #7
frazier
Moved On

mine goes crazy on a 30g... the O ring is at the drain and I still have to empty it eod

frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 01:10 PM   #8
dmo
Registered Member

I had contacted AquaC about excessive microbubbles coming out of my Remora (mj1200), and sent it in for inspection (excellent service btw). This skimmer did fairly well, I got about half the collection cup full of tea colored skimmate every day.

They sent me a new remora, and I have been fairly disappointed with it since. The microbubble issue is a tiny bit better, but the skimmate I get isn't as good. I get black watery skimmate now, but only around 1/8" per day. It doesn't matter how I adjust the cup, the amount or quality of the skimmate doesn't change.

Current Tank Info: 90g reef
dmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2006, 03:10 PM   #9
yeldarbj
Registered Member

I've cleaned the injector several times, most recently about 2 weeks ago. I can't tell any difference before or after.

dmo, that's very interesting that you have had two different results with two skimmers. Were there any other changes to the tank in between skimmers.

I just can't imagine that there are not enough nutrients to skim out. I've got cyano growing and nitrates building (but 0 phosphate). I currently have no other filtration on the tank, no sump, no refugium, just live rock, power heads, a UV, and an empty cannister. I've got 5 fish (~12 inches total) that get fed frozen food once a day.

Unread 12/31/2006, 03:32 PM   #10
pjf
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yeldarbj
I just can't imagine that there are not enough nutrients to skim out. I've got cyano growing and nitrates building (but 0 phosphate). I currently have no other filtration on the tank, no sump, no refugium, just live rock, power heads, a UV, and an empty cannister. I've got 5 fish (~12 inches total) that get fed frozen food once a day.
I agree with yeldarbj.

I skimmed the same two tablespoons a week with the Remora. I received the same comments about not enough nutrients to skim out. After getting sick of the cyano growing and the nitrates building, I finally purchased a Tunze 9010 and am now pulling 100ml of skim daily.

dmo's post indicates that there are variations between Remoras. He's had two Remoras with different results.

It seems that Remora owners either love or hate their skimmers. It will be interesting to find out what is the key variable that determines the difference between a Remora that owners are happy with and a Remora that is not productive.

Unread 12/31/2006, 04:29 PM   #11
yeldarbj
Registered Member

PJF, how do you like the Tunze 9010? Do you run it in the tank or in a sump? How quiet is it? I had previously looked at the 9005 but haven't heard much about them.

If I choose to replace the Remora I need something that is low-profile HOT (like the Remora) or in tank like the Tunze. I'll send the Remora back first though and see what AquaC has to say about it. I'm going to let it run at least another week without any other filtration though. I just did a 20% water change yesterday, so I'm curious to see what happens with the nitrates this week.

The water is definitely "dirtier" than when I had the cannister going with foam cartridges and chemical media. My only other possibility is that the Purigen and Chemipure were taking so much organic material out that there was not much to skim. The Chemipure had been in for two months and the Purigen for about 6 weeks. I find it hard to believe that they could still be pulling that much out of the water.

Unread 12/31/2006, 06:10 PM   #12
pjf
Premium Member

Yeldarbj,

My Tunze 9010 sits in the sump formerly occupied by my Remora pump and skimmer box. It is quiet and it out-skimmed my Remora from day one.

Originally, I configured the Tunze for “in-tank” mode which means the water level must be at the “blue line” painted on the skimmer. Unfortunately, the magnet holder holds the neck of the Tunze against my plastic tank rim 1-inch higher than optimal. My notes show that during the first week, it only collected 300ml. The following week the rate nearly doubled.

To improve performance, I used the “in-sump” kit that comes with the Tunze 9010 (not the 9005). This raises the internal water level of the Tunze to the optimal level despite the lower outside water level. In this mode, the Tunze must sit on a platform so the solid plate on the bottom can seal against leakage. Now I am getting 100ml of skimmate daily.

You can adjust the wetness of the skim with an air adjustment valve. Until I figure out how to use this valve, I have it set to full which results in collecting wet green tea.

The con to the Tunze 9010 is that it is factory made with thin plastic. It does not have the beefy acrylic body and collection cup of the Remora. It appears fragile and you cannot throw it around. The pro to the Tunze 9010 is that it is not subject to hand-crafted variations that may impact its performance from unit to unit.

I am still new to this. The Tunze forum in Reef Central is fantastic with Mr. Roger Vitko of Tunze personally answering every thread. There is no lack of support.

I have another theory as to why my Remora doesn’t collect enough skimmate. I have a very high turbulent flow in my sump (~800gph). There are a lot of bubbles in the overflow that bypass the skimmer and carry proteins to the next refugium compartment. I noticed that these bubbles rarely made it into my Remora’s skimmer box.

Do find out from AquaC what is wrong with some of the Remora units. Sorry to steal your thread but unless I find out what is wrong, I plan to throw my Remora away rather than sell it to some unsuspecting buyer.

Unread 12/31/2006, 09:22 PM   #13
dmo
Registered Member

Quote:
dmo, that's very interesting that you have had two different results with two skimmers. Were there any other changes to the tank in between skimmers.
There were no significant changes to the tank, or my routine between skimmers. The tank was without a skimmer for over a week, so I did throw in an extra water change in between.

This all happened in August. I'm now having nitrate problems, and I am mostly sure its because of insufficient skimming.

Unread 12/31/2006, 10:47 PM   #14
pjf
Premium Member

dmo,

Was AquaC able to tell you what is the difference between your two Remoras?

Unread 01/01/2007, 12:39 AM   #15
dmo
Registered Member

Honestly, I never asked, though I probably should have. At the time I decided to wait awhile for it to break in, and in the meantime I set up a sump and started making plans for a new skimmer.

Unread 01/01/2007, 12:50 AM   #16
frenchie
Registered Member

i have remora pro hang on skimmer and it came with rio 1400 which produced good during breakin period than gradually slowed down so i added a rio 2500 and now i empty cup every2 to 3 days. Microbubbles are an issue with remora and other hang on skimmer unless you use bubble traps like surface skimmer box for remoras. But my bigger pump wouldn't fit in skimmer box so i use a in tank fuge so micro bubbles stay out of tank and in fuge only. Put a bigger pump on your remora and it will really kick butt.

24 gallon nano cube, LED lights, zoanthids, shrooms

Current Tank Info: 93 gallon cube, ecotech LED, swc 160 cone skimmer, lots of softies
frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 09:12 AM   #17
Grey Reefer
Registered Member

Well last night I got a somewhat decent skimmate , but still very wet. Looked like some narly brown tea. I am going to steer people away from AquaC though. I have had a Precision Marine Skimmer before and will go that route when I feel the Remora is completely usless. I might try Tunze though because of the support here at RC. Deltec is also making a HOT that will fit larger Nanos, but those cost $$$$, all good skimmers. Anyone who has had a decent skimmer would laugh at an AquaC. I guess I just joined the I hate AquaC group

Grey Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 10:20 AM   #18
Brisc0
Premium Member

I have a friend that uses the Remora pro and loves it. He fills the cup weekly. I use an AquaC for my setup as well although its a big 240 model and love it as well. I think IME the main issue with AquaC is that they are a bit more advanced to setup than most other skimmers, but if you get them rocking no other brand can touch them. I was about to break my 240 over my knee when I first set it up because it made nothing but simply raising it one inch further out of the water gives me about a liter of skimmate a week now.

Current Tank Info: 40G Nuvo Fusion Started 8/2014
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2007, 10:35 AM   #19
dmo
Registered Member

I have no experience with the bigger AquaC skimmers, but when it comes to the Remora, there is no advanced setup required... or even possible.

Current Tank Info: 90g reef
Unread 01/01/2007, 10:44 AM   #20
pjf
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brisc0
I have a friend that uses the Remora pro and loves it. He fills the cup weekly. I use an AquaC for my setup as well although its a big 240 model and love it as well. I think IME the main issue with AquaC is that they are a bit more advanced to setup than most other skimmers, but if you get them rocking no other brand can touch them. I was about to break my 240 over my knee when I first set it up because it made nothing but simply raising it one inch further out of the water gives me about a liter of skimmate a week now.
My understanding is that your AquaC EV-240 is not a hang-on skimmer but was installed as an in-sump skimmer. Your EV-240 manual clearly explains how to use platforms to raise or lower the EV-240 to find the proper water level.

Would you please explain to us how to properly adjust the operations of our hang-on AquaC Remora units?

We would very much appreciate your assistance. Thanks in advance.

Unread 01/01/2007, 11:04 AM   #21
yeldarbj
Registered Member

pjf, thanks for the info on the Tunze 9010. I may have to eventually look into the 9005 and try it in tank. Did you have any microbubble problems with the 9010 when it was in the tank? Were you never able to run it in the tank because of mounting problems? I have an All-Glass tank with the plastic lip. Would I run into the same mounting issues if I had a 9005 in-tank? It looks like the Tunze would take up twice the internal space as the Remora skimmer box though.

I'm sure the AquaC in-sump skimmers are just fine and apparently most of the HOT Remoras are just fine too. It just happens that there are a minority of us who are not having success with them and can't figure out why.

Unread 01/01/2007, 11:40 AM   #22
frenchie
Registered Member

mine sucked also with rio pump that came with put a bigger pump on your hang on remora like i did than you will see amazing results i had to raise collection cup up other wise i would empty it every day almost.
I got a rio 2500 which is about 782 gph i think now its working like it should. it came with rio 1400 470gph. I've tried a few different pumps like mag 7 did well and my rio did great it seems you need about 700 gph to make it produce. Now the regular remora's not remora pro's i wouldn't use a mj1200 beef it up bigger pump you will see i almost sold my remora many times. I had to make mine work no room for a sump so i have hang on skimmer and a hang on fuge, and a hang on filter for phosban sock. Cannister filter cascade 1500 full of seachem matrix in 2 middle chambers and bio sponge in first and last chambers and my water been in check no probs.

Current Tank Info: 93 gallon cube, ecotech LED, swc 160 cone skimmer, lots of softies
Unread 01/01/2007, 02:14 PM   #23
pjf
Premium Member

Quote:
pjf, thanks for the info on the Tunze 9010. I may have to eventually look into the 9005 and try it in tank. Did you have any microbubble problems with the 9010 when it was in the tank? Were you never able to run it in the tank because of mounting problems? I have an All-Glass tank with the plastic lip. Would I run into the same mounting issues if I had a 9005 in-tank? It looks like the Tunze would take up twice the internal space as the Remora skimmer box though.

I'm sure the AquaC in-sump skimmers are just fine and apparently most of the HOT Remoras are just fine too. It just happens that there are a minority of us who are not having success with them and can't figure out why.
My overflow produces so many bubbles that I can’t tell if my Tunze 9010 produces any. Since any bubble will remain floating in the return compartment, I haven’t investigated. This is a good question for the Tunze forum. I’ve heard that micro-bubbles are an issue during the break-in period.

When mounted “in-tank” with the AGA plastic tank lip near the neck of the Tunze 9010, the “blue line” or optimal water level is near the bottom of the plastic trim. You can adjust the mounting level less than an inch before either the collection cup or the inside holding magnet hits the trim. The outside magnet can ride over the trim. If it cannot, the new Tunzes can accommodate a bottom magnet holder. I haven’t tried the holding brackets.

You should have no problems mounting a Tunze 9010 to the proper water level in your AGA tank. If your water level is near the bottom of the trim, it will match the “blue line.” In my AGA 29-gallon sump, my baffle sets the water level an inch or two lower than normal. You will be fine.

I initially ran my Tunze 9010 with the in-tank configuration for the first week and a half. Due to the AGA tank trim and the lower sump water level, it was installed 1-inch higher than recommended for the in-tank configuration. I had to open the air valve to allow the foam to go the extra 1” distance. Towards the end of the break-in period, it was producing 60ml of skim per day.

With “in-sump” mode, I am getting 100ml per day. My skim is wet because my air valve is still wide open. The forum has pictures of skim so you can set your expectations accordingly (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=828469). I like wet skim because I can pour it away without scraping out the gunk. I believe that dry skimming leaves a lot of proteins in the tank but that is another lively religious debate.

You should configure your Tunze for “in-tank” mode. I’ve seen attractive pictures of the Tunze barely visible behind rocks in the center back of display tanks. The large collection cup rises less than the Remora above the tank. The cup can be hidden under a hood. The “in-sump” configuration will be harder to hide because it requires the outflow pipe with a bright blue foam sleeve. The “in-sump” skimmer must rest on a platform to seal the removable bottom plate and allow water to rise to the optimal level inside the skimmer.

I don’t believe the 9005 will work as well as the 9010 in your tank. The 9010 includes a sump kit so the price difference is negligible. I believe that the 9010 is actually a 9015 with a smaller collection cup. It is better to have a stronger skimming capacity in case your bio-load changes, in case you add a sump, in case you need to catch up because you turn off the skimmer during plankton feeding, or in case skimmer marketers inflate the stated capacity. (I’m sorry. That can’t be true across the industry.) Tunze lists two capacity figures for each skimmer. The first is for a light bio-load. The second is for a “heavy” bio-load (or was that “realistic” bio-load?).

My first skimmer was not up to the job and I do not want to repeat my mistake.

Unread 01/01/2007, 02:35 PM   #24
pjf
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by d.french
mine sucked also with rio pump that came with put a bigger pump on your hang on remora like i did than you will see amazing results i had to raise collection cup up other wise i would empty it every day almost.
I got a rio 2500 which is about 782 gph i think now its working like it should. it came with rio 1400 470gph. I've tried a few different pumps like mag 7 did well and my rio did great it seems you need about 700 gph to make it produce. Now the regular remora's not remora pro's i wouldn't use a mj1200 beef it up bigger pump you will see i almost sold my remora many times. I had to make mine work no room for a sump so i have hang on skimmer and a hang on fuge, and a hang on filter for phosban sock. Cannister filter cascade 1500 full of seachem matrix in 2 middle chambers and bio sponge in first and last chambers and my water been in check no probs.
You have a Remora Pro but it did not perform so you had to buy a bigger pump for it. The largest pump offered by AquaC for the Remora Pro is the Mag 3 which generates 350 gph. Apparently this pump is not sufficient so you had to buy a Rio 2500 that produces 782 gph.

Thanks for sharing what is becoming a very familiar story.

Unread 01/01/2007, 03:18 PM   #25
frenchie
Registered Member

oh yeah needs bigger pump the rio 2500 was the biggest rio with same size outlet on it so i didn't have to change hose.