Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2007, 03:26 AM   #1
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

Lightbulb 70g build thread

Time to start a thread on my new 70 gallon project. Ill try to update it daily here in the early stages, as that is my goal to have contributed something to the process everyday.

OVERVIEW: Oceanic 70g (originally reef-ready) w/ oceanic stand. I came up with a unique idea to turn it into a semi room divider. (I live in an apartment so not very many rooms, and from the pics u'll see what i mean)

CONCEPT: To make a three-sided viewable tank w/ little to no equipment showing.

DIY: Everything beyond the tank/stand has been diy. I made the canapy originally for the normal (against the wall) look. but ill be re-fabricating that in the near future here. As far as everything else ll let the pictures explain.

3/26/07: Removed overflow
3/27/07: Re-arranged furniture
3/28/07: Built "inner 2x4 frame"
3/29/07: picked out access panel material

Dont mind the mess i didnt clean for the pictures

OK now that u have a visual u will see that all the plumbing will be done in the frame against the wall. Everything will be hidden with access panels. The two holes left over where the overflow used to be will be the intake for a closed loop. one will be capped off. The closed loop will be provided by (havnt bought a pump yet Iwaki probly) OM super squirt and plumbed through the side and over the top of the tank (inside the canapy)

thats the basics for now, the rest of the equipment consist of a euro-reef skimmer, 250w titanium heater, mag 9.5 return, 20L sump w/ small refugium.

Sway_A_Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2007, 08:44 AM   #2
drauka99
Registered Member

Just a heads up - MDF might not be the best choice for the clading on your stand. I don't know if thats what your using but it sure looks like it. MDF tend to absorb moisture and swell. Maybe you can seal it up really well with some sealer but at this point you might want to consider going ahead and replacing it.

Looks great though dude. I would love to set up a tank as a divider one day.

"I sometimes enjoy watching shadow puppet shows" - jpfelix

"Bacon is Love." - Fat Man

Current Tank Info: 240 Algae Farm System Running
drauka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

the stand is from oceanic. The canapy is made out of mdf but not the stand. is that what u ment the canapy?

Unread 03/30/2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Pbrown3701
Registered Member

my oceanic stand IS MDF and i recently went out of town for a week and came home to find about 10gal of water on the floor. The bottom of my stand is twice as thick now and you can peel off layers of the wood.....not a good situation, but I think the stand is still solid (the vertical beams are made from normal lumber, just the top and bottom are MDF)

Pbrown3701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2007, 01:34 PM   #5
drauka99
Registered Member

thats what i meant, the clading is MDF. AS a kid the underfloor of our kitchen was MDF and I had the pleasure of being involved in the remodel when it did the same thing under the tiles in the kitchen. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Unread 03/30/2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

o i did not know that. Ill have to make some re-enforcements. What are some good ideas on how to improve it??

Unread 03/31/2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

3/30/07

bought a 3.5" hole saw bit to drill holes for the plumbing. Re-configured plumbing. and I bought 3 sheets of 1/8" thick melamine coated hdbd to make the access panels.

Going to buy a table saw tomorrow and then i can cut and sand the pieces to fit.

Unread 04/03/2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

ok i drilled two holes in the left side of the stand and the plumbing is routed through them. Now I need to buy a pump.

Now my question is can anybody give me any opinions on the Gen-x PCX-40 (Mak4) pump?? It would be for the closed loop.

Unread 04/03/2007, 08:21 AM   #9
drauka99
Registered Member

Just a question, It looks like this tank was drilled for an internal overflow that has been removed and it looks like you are going to use a sipon overflow. I would recomend against this.
I see how with how you are aligning the tank the old overflow wouldn't work, so if your not against drilling the tank maybe build an overflow on the side and drill the tank on that side, that way you could get much better surface skimming and get rid of all the problems associated with the other overflow.

As an added plus u could use the two old holed in the bottom of the tank for your closed loop, just some ideas

Sorry I have no experience with the pump you are talkign about

Unread 04/03/2007, 08:24 AM   #10
drauka99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sway_A_Way
o i did not know that. Ill have to make some re-enforcements. What are some good ideas on how to improve it??
Two ways as i see it
#1 remove all the MDF and reclad the stand in plywood and paint it

#2 get some really good fealer (maybe marine grade) and seal up the entire stand inside and out with it.

Unread 04/03/2007, 11:08 AM   #11
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drauka99
Just a question, It looks like this tank was drilled for an internal overflow that has been removed and it looks like you are going to use a sipon overflow. I would recomend against this.
I see how with how you are aligning the tank the old overflow wouldn't work, so if your not against drilling the tank maybe build an overflow on the side and drill the tank on that side, that way you could get much better surface skimming and get rid of all the problems associated with the other overflow.

As an added plus u could use the two old holed in the bottom of the tank for your closed loop, just some ideas

Sorry I have no experience with the pump you are talkign about
how come u recomend against the syphon overflow and its position? I just didnt want to go through the hastle of drilling in the glass...

And actually yes one of the existing holes was gonna be for the CL the other I was gonna plug.
Quote:
Originally posted by drauka99
Two ways as i see it
#1 remove all the MDF and reclad the stand in plywood and paint it

#2 get some really good fealer (maybe marine grade) and seal up the entire stand inside and out with it.
thanks for the tips I think ill just try to reseal everything that i see.... How come Oceanic would take the chance by building a stand using some of this material??

Unread 04/03/2007, 01:51 PM   #12
drauka99
Registered Member

just alot of people have had problems with sipon overflows failing during power outages (not starting back up) and plus i thing you could build a overflow on the end of the tank and get better results, hey its your build just throwing out som suggestions.

As to why the build it like that I would say cost, MDF is cheap and has some goos qualities but I would never use it around water. Just my experiences

Unread 04/03/2007, 02:04 PM   #13
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

no no This is exactly what i was looking for, suggestions and comments, i appreciate the advice, wish some more people would chime in here.

But as far as the overflow im on kind of a strict budget for the most part and I wanted to be able to convert the tank back to the normal position if i wanted to in the future so drilling the side wouldnt be to asthetic if that were to come about. But ive had success with syphon overflows in the past so i will stick to the hang-on unless i do see problems then ill have to drill. (And then ull write "i told you so")

as for the stand i will take your advice and prepare to add some seals.

Now for the closed loop I think im just gonna order the regular OM squirt with the genx pump.

i still need a 3/4" sea swirl if anybody has one...

Unread 04/04/2007, 01:23 PM   #14
drauka99
Registered Member

Check the for sale part of the forum. Seems like I always see one of these on there. Good luck and keep us updated with the progress

Unread 04/04/2007, 01:25 PM   #15
drauka99
Registered Member

No I told you so's from me, just sugestions

good deal with using the existing holes in the bottom of the tank for the CL plumbing. Any ideas on how you are going to keep the CL pipe from being to prominate on the side where your couch is.

Unread 04/04/2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

good point, i have thought of that, but i havnt really come up with anything perminant yet. I plan on a DSB so the plugged hole will be covered, the intake screen i think ill add a 45 on it so it is angled toward the Live rock, then maybe conceal it that way. not sure yet...

im gonna make my cuts today been delayed so ill try and post some pics later

Unread 04/04/2007, 04:16 PM   #17
Duby
Registered Member

my 2 cents

I made a stand for my 75 and my 125. MDF does absorb but if you wipe it up quick it's not too bad. If you can cover it or seal it then i would. I painted my 125 with lacquor and covered my 75 with laminate. I had a HOT overflow on my 75 and it never failed but I had a little Aqua Lifter pump running on it too.

Duby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 06:36 PM   #18
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

wow nice woodworking, looks like that 125 would be an awesome penninsula setup similar to how im doing mine. look at that shop u got there, wish i had somewhere like that to do the work at. I dont have many tools and i have to do all my work on the patio of my apartment lol.

Unread 04/04/2007, 10:33 PM   #19
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

here is the first plumbing layout so far

the holes..

Unread 04/05/2007, 05:36 AM   #20
DeepBlueSea
Registered Member

Re: my 2 cents

I made a dumb comment... forget it...

DeepBlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2007, 08:16 AM   #21
Duby
Registered Member

I have to build another 125 stand for someone and I will be doing that on my apartment patio.

Duby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2007, 06:57 PM   #22
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

UPDATE: finished the panels etc, painted everything including the canapy. still have to touch up a couple spots (screws, scratches, wood showing)

but overall i think it turned out great. almost ready for water once CL is done. BTW i found a 3/4" seaswirl so return will be done soon.

i took these with flash, so every nook, scratch, and hole show up. u know how it is.

And as u can see in the pictures, instead of capping off a hole, im gonna get the om squirt with the bypass unit, the bypass will go back to the plumbing utilizing the extra hole for some "underneath" flow.

Unread 04/08/2007, 07:03 PM   #23
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

no flash

Unread 04/09/2007, 08:44 AM   #24
drauka99
Registered Member

Looks good man, keep it up

Unread 04/11/2007, 01:09 AM   #25
Sway_A_Way
Registered Member

decided to velcro on the access panel. also touched up any sscratches ect and added the intake for the CL. Should get the pump soon next week.

STAY TUNED i know u all are excited.