Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Old 04/16/2007, 10:31 PM   #851
melev
Moved On

Reefer McDreamy.

Typically in nature, certain corals would never grow together. Yet in our tanks we often combine species that really have no business being in the same zone and the same water. You don't normally find anemones in SPS zones, and leathers are the same. You don't find LPS with SPS either. Each has unique needs from lighting to flow to feeding regimes.

My tank has a large Devils Hand, a pretty big Toadstool and the original Colt that I got years ago (first coral purchased). Add to that 30 small frags of that one leather, zoanthids, mushrooms, anemones, fish, lps, plate corals and tubastrea - it can be quite the soup unfortunately. I like too many things, and as they grow in and gain mass, they exude more and more 'stuff' (exponentially). When things are small and cute, it doesn't matter as much as when they've taken hold and spread out.

I'm using more carbon than ever before, constantly changing it at least twice a week. Water clarity is good, but there are things we can't see nor test for. Which is why it is important to observe the corals for signs of distress.

And I need to really stay on top of things instead of being lax when it comes to some mundane tasks. I was really stunned to see my salinity was so low two weeks ago. If I can just leave everything alone and maintain the standard parms, the reef should improve. Seeing tanks like Weatherson's that continues to look better and better is a huge challenge. You don't hear about any real losses, and his corals are filling in beautifully. Exactly what I want in my tank.

Old 04/16/2007, 10:33 PM   #852
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

Me too. I think weatherson has some seious ADD, ADHD, OCD or all the above What ever it is, I wish I had 10% of it!

Current Tank Info: 300-gallon in-wall system (mixed reef)
Old 04/17/2007, 06:55 AM   #853
Micki
Premium Member

Marc about a month ago I got a pin point thermometer. I love it! I've never had luck with thermometers so I'm hoping this one will hang in there.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!

Current Tank Info: 125 gal. reef, 90 gal. sump, 10 gal. fuge, 40 gallon. 150 gallon fish only.
Old 04/17/2007, 11:24 AM   #854
melev
Moved On

I'm wondering how long the batteries will last. I have to say, the number on this (current temp 79.5F ) doesn't match the Aqua Controller II nor the Big Temp Alert. They are all near each other, but it would be nice if they actually matched.

Old 04/17/2007, 11:59 AM   #855
TCU Reefer
Premium Member

Hey Marc-

The two mille pieces seem to be doing well. Both are polyp'd out in my tank and are showing good color.

I'm still leary about their chances because there are still some bleached spots on both pieces. I may have to do a little more trimming today to prevent any more spreading.

I hope I can save them for you.

Click on the red house to view my build thread

Current Tank Info: 215g starboard SPS in-wall, AC Jr, 3 x 250w MH's, 10k Reeflux, 320w VHO actinics, closed loop w/ Sequence Dart and OM 4-Way, Tunze wavebox, VorTech, 2x modded MJ 1200's, ASM G4 recirc/meshwheel, Geo 618 Ca reactor, custom Melev sump, Mag 9.5 return
Old 04/17/2007, 12:18 PM   #856
Micki
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I'm wondering how long the batteries will last. I have to say, the number on this (current temp 79.5F ) doesn't match the Aqua Controller II nor the Big Temp Alert. They are all near each other, but it would be nice if they actually matched.
Who knows which one is correct? I'm just happy to have one that isn't bouncing all over the place.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Current Tank Info: 125 gal. reef, 90 gal. sump, 10 gal. fuge, 40 gallon. 150 gallon fish only.
Old 04/17/2007, 12:26 PM   #857
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by TCU Reefer
Hey Marc-

The two mille pieces seem to be doing well. Both are polyp'd out in my tank and are showing good color.

I'm still leary about their chances because there are still some bleached spots on both pieces. I may have to do a little more trimming today to prevent any more spreading.

I hope I can save them for you.
Thanks Steve. I checked on the frags and they are mostly intact. The main colony looks like a haircut gone horrible awry, but I don't think the progression continued. It's hard to tell, and kind of sad to look at.

Old 04/17/2007, 07:28 PM   #858
IBASSFSH
Registered Member

Just another Thank you for posting all of your experiences good and bad. One of your past experiences just helped me out!! Could have been much worse if I did not know what to look for.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1100769

Old 04/18/2007, 01:50 PM   #859
melev
Moved On

At our last meeting, I did a presentation about lighting and I even mentioned that exact instance. I wish I had included the pictures of the bulb still lit with half the glass shielding completely missing (found it in the rockwork in the tank!) in that power point. Maybe I'll locate those and add them to the presentation in case I give it again some day.

Old 04/22/2007, 06:39 PM   #860
JTEAGUE
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1102825
Marc, if you get time check this thread. Your name is metioned a bunch but I believe only you can answer the questions they have in the correct perspective.
Also I picked up a new Euro-Reef RS 80 today!!!

Old 04/22/2007, 08:52 PM   #861
melev
Moved On

That's a thread I've been meaning to read. Thanks!

Old 04/22/2007, 09:03 PM   #862
JTEAGUE
Registered Member

I was suprised you had not read it. Thats why I waited instead of jumping right in. Also my new Euro-Reef is starting to pull some foam. It's only been in the sump for 6 hrs.

Old 04/22/2007, 10:28 PM   #863
11fishes
Registered Member

wow this was a long and rather boring thread, i enjoyed it so much

Current Tank Info: 90 gal. reef and it's empty
Old 04/22/2007, 10:49 PM   #864
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by 11fishes
I'll try to improve on that in the next 400 pages, okay?

Old 04/22/2007, 11:53 PM   #865
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 11fishes

Current Tank Info: 300-gallon in-wall system (mixed reef)
Old 04/23/2007, 11:29 PM   #866
melev
Moved On

Tested the water tonight and all my levels are elevated. I have to imagine this occured because salinity was raised from 1.020 to 1.026, although RHF isn't around to confirm that WAG on my part.

Is it any wonder that some of my SPS look pathetic. I'm going to turn off the CO2 to the Calcium Reactor for 24 hours to let it the levels drop a tad.

Temp: 81.1
pH: 8.29
sg: 1.025
PO4: .5+ *
Ca: 500
Alk: 13.1
Mg: 1440

* I recently got a bunch of turbos in a group buy, but neglected to pick them up the day that they arrived. I forgot. Two days later I went over to get the 100 I ordered, but when I reached into the reef tank the water was easily in the 90s! I pulled out 60 that looked intact, but on the way home the bag wreaked of death. I rinsed them with good tank water repeatedly and placed them in the sump. 10 survived, the rest died, rotted and obviously added to the PO4 in the tank.

Old 04/26/2007, 06:03 AM   #867
Micki
Premium Member

That sucks. Why was the temperature so high?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 04/27/2007, 02:20 AM   #868
melev
Moved On

I don't know precisely, but he attributed the hot water to his MH bulbs warming up the tank. The cooling fans weren't working, the chiller wasn't hooked up, and his thermometer was accidentally stepped upon. Hopefully that has all be resolved by now.

I was out of town for a couple of days, but my tank seemed to do fine while I was away.

Old 04/27/2007, 05:40 AM   #869
Micki
Premium Member

Wow, that's a lot of things not hooked up or working...

Glad your tank did fine while you were gone.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 04/27/2007, 02:59 PM   #870
TCU Reefer
Premium Member

Who watched you tank while you were away? Why didn't you call?

Current Tank Info: 215g starboard SPS in-wall, AC Jr, 3 x 250w MH's, 10k Reeflux, 320w VHO actinics, closed loop w/ Sequence Dart and OM 4-Way, Tunze wavebox, VorTech, 2x modded MJ 1200's, ASM G4 recirc/meshwheel, Geo 618 Ca reactor, custom Melev sump, Mag 9.5 return
Old 04/27/2007, 03:13 PM   #871
melev
Moved On

I thought I would have come back sooner, but was able to call my son to come check on the tank. I think he had laundry to do, so it was no problem. Do you still have a key?

Old 04/27/2007, 09:12 PM   #872
TCU Reefer
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I thought I would have come back sooner, but was able to call my son to come check on the tank. I think he had laundry to do, so it was no problem. Do you still have a key?
No, I don't have your key still. Aren't you going to be out in a few weeks? If so, I'm gonig to take your skimmer offline and run it on my system until you get back. Cool?

Old 04/28/2007, 12:17 AM   #873
melev
Moved On

Like you could make it fit in that thing you call a sump! When are you going to put a thread on RC of your tank? You can use the pictures I took if you like.

I do need to get you a key again. I'll be gone in a few weeks to speak to a club in Upper State New York. Can't wait, I heard they have snow! (Hope it lasts until then...)

Old 04/28/2007, 01:27 AM   #874
Aquabucket
Premium Member

Marc, do you think your black out period contributed to your SPS troubles or did you have other issues going on? I hope things are starting to improve and not getting worse.

Old 04/28/2007, 02:18 AM   #875
melev
Moved On

I really don't know. I'm not too happy with my reef currently, and am not sure what I'm going to do about it.

I finally got over to Ikea and bought the new legs for the angled tank's stand. I need to find a nice slab of stone for the top next.

Closed Thread