Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/21/2007, 01:53 PM   #526
klam114
Moved On

Yes, us Bay Area guys are pretty lucky, IMO. Recently, I bugged so many LFS to carry Rod's frozen reef food (yes, same as rodonyx clowns) and not one would blink an eye at my request or suggestion. I even bugged Ed 3 times and finally he gave in and helped our local group to a group buy on the food, saved us a bundle.

I don't think it matters it local or not as long as RC sponsors are directly being helped profit wise. And it's nice to have a limited time free s/h/i discount, so really doesn't matter where you live.

Unread 05/21/2007, 02:28 PM   #527
Jim_S
Timo Boll

But why should "Ed" get all the bennefits via mark-up from all the RC users? Is that fair in your opinion?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but there are plenty of LFS owners that I would love to advertise for on RC, but they don't pay RC for sponsorship, so why should they get to bennefit from this site??

I understand that "Ed" is a nice guy. But it also seems like a lot of his friends are advertising for him on RC. And while that may be a nice thing to do for kick-backs and what not, RC users are the ones that cheated.

Until I see him as an active participant/sponsor on this forum, I just see all the hype as shameless plugging for his business.

Pretty convenient IMO.

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Unread 05/21/2007, 02:33 PM   #528
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

One of the benefits of a reef forum such as this, is to share positive experiences and spread the wealth, regardless if a specific vendor is a RC sponsor or not.

No offense Jimdogg187, but yours is a funny outlook coming from someone who doesnt support RC themselves.

I dont pay RC membership either, RC is not my primary forum i hang out at, but i do enjpoy coming here for the massive wealth of information abnd sharing that a member base of this size can provide.

Unread 05/21/2007, 02:34 PM   #529
Jim_S
Timo Boll

But, you see, I don't gain financially from this site. Thats the difference.

And there are specifc clauses in the RC User Agreement that clearly state the rules......

Bradley Nowell

Current Tank Info: We're recreating the ocean in our livings rooms. With that said, I've had some ups and downs.
Unread 05/21/2007, 02:37 PM   #530
summer6
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flyyyguy
[B]I am also having a rpoblem with one of the pumps keeps starting to rattle.........the hoses that came with mine are too short and i dont think im getting the air flow i should be. It is an odd hose diameter. Waiting to hear back from Ed and he is hopefully going to ship me some longer ones.

Although I bought my BM250 from Reef Geek, I was having a little difficulty with the short air hose also.
It just made it too difficult in setting up the pumps, and not having the hoses kink.
RG sent me longer tubing and it made the difference, so I'd suggest the same in your situation.

Unread 05/21/2007, 02:40 PM   #531
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Thanks Summer. Ed didnt have any. I just talked to Greg and they are on the way.

Out of curiousity, are the replacement hoses you received a different material than the original??

Unread 05/21/2007, 02:41 PM   #532
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Not to beat a dead horse, but I thought this might help clearify my post, flyyyguy.

2. COMMERCIAL POSTING: Reef Central exists for the non-commercial exchange of information. Sponsors of this site are given banner space and/or a forum to promote their business in accordance with the sponsor agreement. All other posts or signatures that are deemed to be commercial in nature are a violation of this user agreement and will be removed. As it pertains to the User Agreement, Reef Central defines “commercial post” as knowing and willful posts made by private individuals or businesses, directly or indirectly seeking commerce. Additionally, posts made by individuals or businesses in regard to other commercial activities, in anticipation of direct or indirect economic benefit or relief from the subject activity, will generally be regarded as “commercial.” Recognizing that it is impossible to construct a definition which will satisfy every situation or circumstance, Reef Central reserves the right to determine whether or not a post violates the “intent” of the “commercial post” policy or definition. Violation of this policy will be grounds for removal from our community.

2.1. COMMERCIAL RELATIONSHIPS: Any member that has any commercial connection to a product or company, or a to a directly competing product or company, is requested to clearly divulge that relationship when posting a comment about that product or company.

Bradley Nowell

Unread 05/21/2007, 02:45 PM   #533
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

I understand your point, but i personally dont see any breach of that contract going on. At least all that I am aware of is people who are not gaining financially praising a specific vendor. If there was any wrongdoing going on, i dotn think there would be many threads about the individual in question as well as many other non sponsor vendors in the vendor feedback forum.

Anyway.......sorry if i contributed to getting this thread off topic.....i surely dont care one way or another, but i will gladly continue to indirectly advertise for anyone I get good (or bad) customer service from.

Unread 05/21/2007, 02:46 PM   #534
sjm817
On Yer left!

I agree with jimdogg. There are members here that spend most of their time promoting "Ed's" business. Ed may be a good guy, and all, but that is not the point. It seems there is a bit of guerilla marketing going on here and that is not what these forums are here for.

Unread 05/21/2007, 02:46 PM   #535
summer6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
Thanks Summer. Ed didnt have any. I just talked to Greg and they are on the way.

Out of curiousity, are the replacement hoses you received a different material than the original??
Exact same material, which I like, because they should hold up for a long time.
BTW outstanding customer support from Reef Geek, next time I need major equipment, it will be my first stop.

Unread 05/21/2007, 02:52 PM   #536
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Im NOT getting the same material. I KNEW i should have bought directly from Reefgeek.

Actually...I was warned that i couldnt get the same material immediately..........but as soon as it gets in I should. It probably wont matter as long as it is long enough in the first place

Unread 05/21/2007, 04:03 PM   #537
TwistedTiger
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
I understand that "Ed" is a nice guy. But it also seems like a lot of his friends are advertising for him on RC. And while that may be a nice thing to do for kick-backs and what not, RC users are the ones that cheated.

Until I see him as an active participant/sponsor on this forum, I just see all the hype as shameless plugging for his business.

Pretty convenient IMO.
I have to respectfully disagree 100%. I am very glad that businesses are willing to be sponsors on RC and they should be looked at first when buying goods IMO. However to say anything about kickbacks or RC members being cheated seems very inappropriate.

I have been in the saltwater hobby for many years and have used many many vendors, I've only bought from Ed once. Since his price includes shipping he is cheaper than everyone else so I the RC member am not cheated there. Ed answered numerous detailed emails long before he got my business something many vendors refuse to do, still not feeling cheated. I definitely have not and will not recieve any kick back of any kind nor would he have reason to do that.

Like many others here I read the positive and negative feedback from other posters so when I purchase something I will not get cheated. I like many other RC members wish there were more vendors like Ed whether RC sponsors or not. No one that treats RC members so good is cheating us in any way. This isn't a plug for anyone, just the honest truth.

Unread 05/21/2007, 04:30 PM   #538
Jim_S
Timo Boll

Quote:
Originally posted by TwistedTiger
I have to respectfully disagree 100%. I am very glad that businesses are willing to be sponsors on RC and they should be looked at first when buying goods IMO. However to say anything about kickbacks or RC members being cheated seems very inappropriate.

I have been in the saltwater hobby for many years and have used many many vendors, I've only bought from Ed once. Since his price includes shipping he is cheaper than everyone else so I the RC member am not cheated there. Ed answered numerous detailed emails long before he got my business something many vendors refuse to do, still not feeling cheated. I definitely have not and will not recieve any kick back of any kind nor would he have reason to do that.

Like many others here I read the positive and negative feedback from other posters so when I purchase something I will not get cheated. I like many other RC members wish there were more vendors like Ed whether RC sponsors or not. No one that treats RC members so good is cheating us in any way. This isn't a plug for anyone, just the honest truth.
2. COMMERCIAL POSTING: Reef Central exists for the non-commercial exchange of information. Sponsors of this site are given banner space and/or a forum to promote their business in accordance with the sponsor agreement. All other posts or signatures that are deemed to be commercial in nature are a violation of this user agreement and will be removed. As it pertains to the User Agreement, Reef Central defines “commercial post” as knowing and willful posts made by private individuals or businesses, directly or indirectly seeking commerce. Additionally, posts made by individuals or businesses in regard to other commercial activities, in anticipation of direct or indirect economic benefit or relief from the subject activity, will generally be regarded as “commercial.” Recognizing that it is impossible to construct a definition which will satisfy every situation or circumstance, Reef Central reserves the right to determine whether or not a post violates the “intent” of the “commercial post” policy or definition. Violation of this policy will be grounds for removal from our community.

2.1. COMMERCIAL RELATIONSHIPS: Any member that has any commercial connection to a product or company, or a to a directly competing product or company, is requested to clearly divulge that relationship when posting a comment about that product or company.

I'm just trying to follow rules. Thats all. If you guys want to bend the rules, thats fine. Be Ed's workhorses. But eventhough I have friend's who own LFS, who would be wore than willing to give the kinda CS that Ed provides, I hold my tounge. Maybe its not the most benneficial for other RC members, but I am following the rules.

Bradley Nowell

Unread 05/21/2007, 04:39 PM   #539
TwistedTiger
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
I'm just trying to follow rules. Thats all. If you guys want to bend the rules, thats fine. Be Ed's workhorses. But eventhough I have friend's who own LFS, who would be wore than willing to give the kinda CS that Ed provides, I hold my tounge. Maybe its not the most benneficial for other RC members, but I am following the rules.
Are you sure you're not the one getting kickbacks from somewhere?

Unread 05/21/2007, 04:42 PM   #540
klam114
Moved On

Jimdog and sjm, if you're referring to some of my postings. You can be sure I will tone it down from now on as I don't have any financial interest to gain, never have and never will be accused of that.

I loved my rodonyx clowns and the frozen food that I purchased from Rod's Reef. It seems almost everyone in Rod's state, Illinoise, has nothing but good things to say about Rod. Are they are all promoting him and getting a kickback? I don't think so. Well, I am local to Ed and he has been a great help to me in this hobby, most of what I've is from picking his brain for the last 6 months. I pass the word along about Ed because he is who he is. But for you two, I will tone it down as I don't want others who may be borderline in their thought process to think I'm trying to sway someone one way or the other.

How did we ever get so sidetrack. Oh yeah, it was my fault as I disagreed with the statement about supporting RC sponsors only, but I know that if authorized dealers for those sponsors are supported, the RC sponsors are supported as well. I should have kept my post quiet as these last few posts are way off base here. My apologies to everyone, didn't mean to cause this stirr.

edit - I have asked RC mod to edit or remove my post above and don't want to to be called a "Ed's workhorse".

Last edited by klam114; 05/21/2007 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 05/21/2007, 04:44 PM   #541
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Did I mention that my ^%#^&%$& hoses are too short??

Unread 05/21/2007, 04:47 PM   #542
klam114
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
Did I mention that my ^%#^&%$& hoses are too short??
Getting back to the subject on hand. Glad you're getting new longer ones from ReefGeek directly. They are the main support for ATi parts. Your dealer can help if they can. It seems strange that there's a couple of skimmers with short hoses already. Mine was actually way too long on my BM200 and I trimmed it down a couple of inches.

Unread 05/21/2007, 06:39 PM   #543
kslick
Registered Member

Plain and simply: knowledge is king, sharing info, all info with fellow reefers is what it is all about.

Unread 05/22/2007, 12:31 AM   #544
mavgi
Registered Member

some good news on the news BM300 :

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1103565

Unread 05/22/2007, 08:46 AM   #545
scottfarcuz
Registered Member

wow $1390 for the BM300? I didnt think it would be that much more than the 250.

Unread 05/22/2007, 09:09 AM   #546
wolfpack
Premium Member

I was shocked at that as well... Almost double!

Unread 05/22/2007, 09:13 AM   #547
klam114
Moved On

Maybe it has something to do with air draw:
BM250 1,800lph 57watts
BM300 4,000lph 70watts

It's like having a 4x-5x Eheim pump skimmer, that's a lot of air. Let's see, 4x Eheims would use approximately 160watts, and 5x 200watts. Beginning to look good for only 70watts.

Last edited by klam114; 05/22/2007 at 09:19 AM.
Unread 05/22/2007, 09:13 AM   #548
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Well you hav'nt heard a tank rating yet, I dunno how many people need a skimmer bigger than the BM250. Its not like people will be running out to get the BM300 for a 200 gallon tank.
It would be like me putting a CAT diesel in a chevy colorado.
on my 180 i would not put anything more as it would be a waste.
JMO

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Unread 05/22/2007, 09:16 AM   #549
wolfpack
Premium Member

I guess I can forget about the external model...

Unread 05/22/2007, 09:17 AM   #550
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere, of a bunch of different skimmer models and how much air they are drawing respectively?? Unmodded and modded would be a bonus.............but either way.....just curious.