Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/22/2007, 09:24 AM   #551
mavgi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by klam114
Maybe it has something to do with air draw:
BM250 1,800lph 57watts
BM300 4,000lph 70watts
it's also the acrylic thickness , this skimmer rated 4000LPH and and IMO can handle without problem on big tank size 1000 gallon and even more .

Unread 05/22/2007, 09:42 AM   #552
rbdesigns
Registered Member

Will the BM300 pumps be connected the same as the BM250?

Whenever I shut off my skimmer and turn it back on, the pumps fly off of the body. This happens every single time. This started maybe 1 or 2 weeks ago, it's starting to get frustrating, I have the BM250 since the first week of January.

How drastic is the skimming compared to the salinity? When I had it at 1.025 on a tank with 300 gallon volume I was filling the cup in three weeks with dry skimmate. Now I have it running on a system with 250 gallons at a salinity of 1.018 and I'm not getting any skimmate at all. I feed heavily and have 50 fish in the set up.

It overflows between 7.5- 9inches of water and when I had it in 6 inches of water I wasn't getting any type of skimmate. I have shut off one of the pumps to get some type of skimmate, it's the only way I've been able to get it to work properly.

Unread 05/22/2007, 09:49 AM   #553
sjm817
On Yer left!

SG makes a big difference in any skimmer. Why are you running 018?

Unread 05/22/2007, 09:53 AM   #554
rbdesigns
Registered Member

I'm running my clownfish broodstock system at that salinity to get them to start spawning.

This was before:

This is after, the skimmate hasn't gotten any better:

Unread 05/22/2007, 09:57 AM   #555
rbdesigns
Registered Member

Here's the system it's on:

It's the only thing I can think of why it's not performing anymore. Since I feed heavily 3x a day and my water is yellow.

Unread 05/22/2007, 10:46 AM   #556
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

who has the BM 160?? What is the needed footprint for it in your sump.

Im thinking about getting rid of my ER cs-180 on my 90 and getting the BM 160 to replace it......

whadya think??

My BM 250 is working well today......short hoses and all....its finally about broken in i think.......

Unread 05/22/2007, 10:58 AM   #557
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:

Whenever I shut off my skimmer and turn it back on, the pumps fly off of the body. This happens every single time. This started maybe 1 or 2 weeks ago, it's starting to get frustrating, I have the BM250 since the first week of January.
This may be a dumb question.....but if this has only been happening in the last couple of weeks........do you think that maybe there is a slime coating on the flexible hose and where it connects to the skimmer......making a slick surface. Maybe if you clean the surfaces that connect it would hold.......??

Just a thought if you havent considered it already.......

Unread 05/22/2007, 12:15 PM   #558
rpeeples
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
I agree with jimdogg. There are members here that spend most of their time promoting "Ed's" business. Ed may be a good guy, and all, but that is not the point. It seems there is a bit of guerilla marketing going on here and that is not what these forums are here for.
I agree with SMJ/Jimdogg. I have bowed out of this thread or any thread related to the BM for exact reasons described. These issues that many folks are experiencing are the same issues discovered over 6 months ago!

As I recall, someone recently (2-3 months) was banned from RC for having such affiliations and/or posting against RC Rules.

Although "U can Do it" if you like it doesn't make it right

Unread 05/22/2007, 02:06 PM   #559
Baalz
Registered Member

I see the same tactics applied to a particular Clown breeder. Which believe it or not made it into this thread in the last couple of pages.

It gets old.

Unread 05/22/2007, 02:23 PM   #560
Freds
Registered Member

FWIW my BM200 is working great. I don't breed clowns, I have no idea who this Ed guy is and I've known that "U Can Do It" was a banned member in disguise forever. I thought it was obvious, "she" was a housewife that hired her LFS to do all her maintenance, yet had more knowledge and info than most people on here! Plus "she" had a few dwyer air meters lying around! My wife couldn't tell you which one was the protein skimmer if you asked her, other than "the one that makes the whole house smell"

Anyhow,
My BM200 makes a really thick nasty smelling skimmate. I've owned three deltecs that made a similar looking skimmate but it didn't smell that bad at all. I'm nor sure why the BM skimmate is far smellier but it is. I would place the BM200 along side the AP701 in terms of performance. As far as longevity I cannot say. I would imagine any eheim based NW skimmer to last you for many many years with very slight maintenance. Who knows how long this will last. The mesh has held up just fine for the last two months with no signs of unraveling. I may experiment with other mesh materials but only because I'm bored and like to tinker with stuff, it's really not necessary.

Another noteworthy mention as this skimmer caught on huge in my local club, don't go "oversized" with these. ATI recommends a BM200 for a 120 and under. Don't put a BM250 on a 120, or worse a 90 because you can. Just like any WAY oversized skimmer, it will pull out tons of funk until it catches up with your tank and then it will be too large to be efficient and you'll trash it and say it sucks. If you follow their guidelines you may like it as I do.

I run a low nutrient sps tank btw.
If you'd like pictures they are here:

(Pics are down at the bottom of the page)
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...skimmer+thread

Unread 05/22/2007, 02:40 PM   #561
Baalz
Registered Member

Fritz I have been trying for months to get my BM200 to perform like this

I have the Gate valve and I put a ball valve on the air inlet. Even though I can get it to skim. i can never get it to push the foam up over the top of the collection cup like I see yours and others do. When I adjust it drier all I get is a dirty rim at top of riser. With my old needlewheel I would get a THICK layer of gunk on the top of my riser and nice skimmate in collection cup. I am still trying to get this to work.

And my skimmate does not have much of a foul odor. My needlewheel did.

Quote:
Originally posted by Freds
FWIW my BM200 is working great. I don't breed clowns, I have no idea who this Ed guy is and I've known that "U Can Do It" was a banned member in disguise forever. I thought it was obvious, "she" was a housewife that hired her LFS to do all her maintenance, yet had more knowledge and info than most people on here! Plus "she" had a few dwyer air meters lying around! My wife couldn't tell you which one was the protein skimmer if you asked her, other than "the one that makes the whole house smell"

Anyhow,
My BM200 makes a really thick nasty smelling skimmate. I've owned three deltecs that made a similar looking skimmate but it didn't smell that bad at all. I'm nor sure why the BM skimmate is far smellier but it is. I would place the BM200 along side the AP701 in terms of performance. As far as longevity I cannot say. I would imagine any eheim based NW skimmer to last you for many many years with very slight maintenance. Who knows how long this will last. The mesh has held up just fine for the last two months with no signs of unraveling. I may experiment with other mesh materials but only because I'm bored and like to tinker with stuff, it's really not necessary.

Another noteworthy mention as this skimmer caught on huge in my local club, don't go "oversized" with these. ATI recommends a BM200 for a 120 and under. Don't put a BM250 on a 120, or worse a 90 because you can. Just like any WAY oversized skimmer, it will pull out tons of funk until it catches up with your tank and then it will be too large to be efficient and you'll trash it and say it sucks. If you follow their guidelines you may like it as I do.

I run a low nutrient sps tank btw.
If you'd like pictures they are here:

(Pics are down at the bottom of the page)
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...skimmer+thread

Unread 05/22/2007, 02:43 PM   #562
Baalz
Registered Member

I will mention that Greg at Reef Geek has made several attempts to help me and I didn't even buy this skimmer from him.

Blue Ribbon Koi who I did buy this from basically took my money. A few feeble attempts to give advice and that was it.

Unread 05/22/2007, 03:47 PM   #563
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

I have to say in a biz as the Saltwater Hobby, Reef Industry it's hard to find someone you can trust. I've dealt with a lot of shady people already and I've only been doing it for 6 months. It's nice to find someone that will stay up until 4:45 in the morning trying to get your skimmer to work for you, even if you didn't buy it from them. Even if it's not a skimmer you sell or endorse. Any other person would say, "Sorry man, " and leave it at that. Who else would do something like this? Ed is a great person. I honestly think it's really lousy how people are bashing him and they don't even know him.
Wouldn't everyone like someone to help them, that they can trust? Someone to stay up all hours of the night and help them? Does anyone know another person like that?! Not a local friend, or LFS. People that have ordered from Ed, DO NOT GET KICK BACKS! I've ordered from him and I haven't gotten any kick backs. He's offered nothing but help. I believe when people post good things about a company, it helps fellow reefers out a ton. I'd like to hear good things from a company I order from, before I place my order. That way you don't get a too bad outcome.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
Unread 05/22/2007, 04:31 PM   #564
Freds
Registered Member

Baalz,
What was your old NW skimmer, out of curiosity?

Unread 05/22/2007, 05:07 PM   #565
Baalz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freds
Baalz,
What was your old NW skimmer, out of curiosity?
Geo with a Sen 9000

Unread 05/22/2007, 05:45 PM   #566
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

I need to correct the time on my above post. It was 1:00 am when Ed was helping someone until. So far I like my BM150. I do have to say though, it is a pain in the butt to get the pump back into the body. I hopefully will get the hang of it. =) Does anyone know why the BM150 was discontinued?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
Unread 05/22/2007, 06:11 PM   #567
Freds
Registered Member

There's a lot of info about it in the ReefGeek forum. The 150 was discontinued and replaced by the 160.

A Geo with a Sedra 9000? I'm not familiar with Geo skimmers but I've run ASMs with the Sedra pumps. I wasn't impressed as far as NWs go. A guy in my local club mod'ed a Sedra 5000 into a MW and recirced it. It made for a nice skimmer.

Unread 05/22/2007, 06:19 PM   #568
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Quote:
Originally posted by rbdesigns
Here's the system it's on:

It's the only thing I can think of why it's not performing anymore. Since I feed heavily 3x a day and my water is yellow.
Ron, I need to come over and look at your system again along with the skimmer.

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Unread 05/22/2007, 07:33 PM   #569
klam114
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mavgi
it's also the acrylic thickness , this skimmer rated 4000LPH and and IMO can handle without problem on big tank size 1000 gallon and even more .
I think the 5mm thickness is the same as the BM250. I wished they would increase the thickness of the BM200 to the same. It would not surprise me if it can handle 1000+gal capacity.

Unread 05/22/2007, 07:38 PM   #570
rbdesigns
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyyyguy
This may be a dumb question.....but if this has only been happening in the last couple of weeks........do you think that maybe there is a slime coating on the flexible hose and where it connects to the skimmer......making a slick surface. Maybe if you clean the surfaces that connect it would hold.......??

Just a thought if you havent considered it already.......
I tried cleaning it and still have the same problem. The way the pump is connected to the body sucks! If I look at it the wrong way it falls off. I'm going to try and connect it another way because even when it's on the body I see little bubbles escaping from the connection.

Unread 05/22/2007, 07:46 PM   #571
klam114
Moved On

rbdesigns, that is some crap your skimmer was pulling out.

what a nice setup, what type of clowns are you breeding?

salinity could have a little to do with the collecting, but it shouldn't. are the air hose kink? did you try putting some warm RO/DI water into the air hose/venturi to clean them out? is the silencer clogged? my filter floss was clogged once and my dealer asked me that question and it was and took care of my problem.

also, those pumps flying off doesn't sound right? what steps have you tried already to correct?

Unread 05/22/2007, 07:47 PM   #572
rbdesigns
Registered Member

Quote:
[iOriginally posted by Konadog [/i]
Ron, I need to come over and look at your system again along with the skimmer.
Hey Ken, don't know if you want to wait until how I figure to get the skimmer going again, you'll be disappointed with it the way it's working right now.

Unread 05/22/2007, 08:06 PM   #573
bluenassarius
retired algae slanger

Quote:
Originally posted by jimdogg187
But why should "Ed" get all the bennefits via mark-up from all the RC users? Is that fair in your opinion?

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but there are plenty of LFS owners that I would love to advertise for on RC, but they don't pay RC for sponsorship, so why should they get to bennefit from this site??

I understand that "Ed" is a nice guy. But it also seems like a lot of his friends are advertising for him on RC. And while that may be a nice thing to do for kick-backs and what not, RC users are the ones that cheated.

Until I see him as an active participant/sponsor on this forum, I just see all the hype as shameless plugging for his business.

Pretty convenient IMO.
Hey Jim,

Ed does deserve some praise for his excellent customer service. I purchased a BM200 from ReefGeek (RC Sponsor) and was having trouble with it. Ed took his time out to help me trouble shoot the problems although I did not purchase the skimmer from him. Customer service like that sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm definitely not getting a kick back nor do I think others are just from my experience with the guy. Customer service like that does need to be mentioned.

Sam

Current Tank Info: tankless, on hiatus until further notice
Unread 05/22/2007, 08:31 PM   #574
rpeeples
Premium Member

Sam, I M N Love....just kidding...referencing the pic. That can't possibly be you ...could it?

In all seriousness .....these BM threads should be titled:

"Days of Our Bubble Master"

I enjoy the drama far to much however someone made a comment earlier about just getting into the hobby and there being a lot of shady folks along the way. How True!!

However there have been some very helpful people as well and as with life in general....there will always be a couple of bad apples along our journey.

Anyways....I would like to qualify myself as a BM250 owner as I received the 2nd shipment of 250's back in Oct06. I currently run this on a 240g with total system equaling approximately 310g.

I actually compiled a two page review which drew a lot of attention and it has withstood the test of time.

I wish new owners of the BM much success and for those wanting to purchase this skimmer....be sure to do your homework.

l8tr,
rpjr

PS. Special thanks to Ralph Gibson and JimDogg........straight up cats who I hold with high regard. Many thanks for your insight, balance, and knowledge.

Unread 05/22/2007, 09:16 PM   #575
TwistedTiger
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by rpeeples
I actually compiled a two page review which drew a lot of attention and it has withstood the test of time.
Link?????

Closed Thread