Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2007, 10:49 PM   #1
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Progress pics of my 90g AGA bare bottom

Coralife Auqualight Pro

SpectraPure MaxCap RO/DI 90GPD

I marked where I wanted to drill the two 2.5" holes for 1.5" buklheads. They will be used for the intake a closed loop. I decided to run a Sequence Barracuda (4300gph) thru a Oceans Motions 4way. I am still thinking about those OM revolutions.

This will be a bare bottom SPS tank so I got 3/4" HDPE starboard (cutting board). I also installed vinyl for my bg. The navy blue was a little see-thru so I added a 2nd layer of black on the back.

This is my 40g breeder with 3/8" baffles for bubble trap.

I converted the AGA overflow kit bulkhead from soft to hard plumbing.

xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2007, 10:50 PM   #2
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

I added 100lb of cooked Haitian LR today. I have been cooking it for 4weeks and the last water change was clear.

Unread 02/06/2007, 11:21 PM   #3
zma21
Registered Member

Very nice!

Current Tank Info: 20 High -> 40 Cube -> Nanocube 12 DX -> 25 Gallon Rimless -> 10 Gallon AGA Temporary Tank -> JBJ 24 LED -> SCA Starfire 50 Cube
zma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2007, 11:39 PM   #4
Jerry W
Registered Member

Looks great! I'll be following along.
Where did you purchase the starboard?

Current Tank Info: 37 gal; pair of mocha clowns, ywg and tiger pistol shrimp
Jerry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2007, 11:42 PM   #5
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry W
Looks great! I'll be following along.
Where did you purchase the starboard?
I got mine from a local plastic shop. It's a very comon material so its easy to find.

Unread 02/07/2007, 12:13 PM   #6
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

I should have more pic updates in a few days.

Unread 02/07/2007, 05:12 PM   #7
ricwilli
Registered Member

xenon, what made you decide to drill holes only on one side of the tank? The reason why I ask, is because I am having a hard time deciding where I should drill holes on my 72 gal bow front. Is there really an ideal place to drill holes? Will you have some fish in your tank? If you do won't they get sucked up by the pump?

Unread 02/07/2007, 05:32 PM   #8
chem-e
Registered Member

Nice tank. I like the clean look of the piping and the aquascaping looks good as well.

Did you have the plastics company cut the starboard for you too or did you do that yourself?

Current Tank Info: Elos [~] 70 powered by Profilux
chem-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2007, 05:33 PM   #9
mg426
Registered Member

Nice work !!

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef 110 lbs LR, 1x250watt XM 20K MH 2x175watt XM 20K MH on Magetics 2X96 watt actinic PC, 220 watt VHO actinic, 30 gallon refugium, closed loop system powered by Sequence Dart MSX 200 skimmer 38 gallon sump, Oceansmotions squirt
mg426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Randy1
Registered Member

I can see you've done this before, looks great. Will coraline algea grow on your star board? How will you keep it clean?

Randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2007, 05:43 PM   #11
dippin61
Registered Member

whats gonna be your total gph through the tank.. cuz from experience you need tons and tons of flow. I have 3100 gph through my 55g, and still think im on the very low end. id like to be around 6000 gph.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon BB Low Iron Glass, Dual 110w VHO Actinics, 250w PFO MH 20k XM
dippin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2007, 06:27 PM   #12
MR PALM BEACH
Registered Member

I like the computer desk, pretty clean looking. O ya, looking sweet on the 90.

Current Tank Info: 23" LCD with Windows Aquarium screen saver.
MR PALM BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2007, 07:01 PM   #13
kweidner1
Registered Member

cool new toys! welcome to the hobby.....uuuuh addiction!

kweidner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2007, 08:16 PM   #14
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Quote:
Originally posted by ricwilli
xenon, what made you decide to drill holes only on one side of the tank? The reason why I ask, is because I am having a hard time deciding where I should drill holes on my 72 gal bow front. Is there really an ideal place to drill holes? Will you have some fish in your tank? If you do won't they get sucked up by the pump?
The placement was decided because of the way the tank fits into my office closet. I have strainers in place to keep from sucking anything into the CL pump.

Unread 02/07/2007, 08:18 PM   #15
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Quote:
Originally posted by chem-e
Nice tank. I like the clean look of the piping and the aquascaping looks good as well.

Did you have the plastics company cut the starboard for you too or did you do that yourself?
They cut it to size and I routered a round edge on the bottom to compensate for the silicone on the bottom of the tank.

Unread 02/07/2007, 08:19 PM   #16
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy1
I can see you've done this before, looks great. Will coraline algea grow on your star board? How will you keep it clean?
This is my 1st SW fish tank. I had a 60g before but I broke it all down and sold it off before it was even cycled so that I could start over from what I learned.

Unread 02/07/2007, 08:22 PM   #17
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Quote:
Originally posted by dippin61
whats gonna be your total gph through the tank.. cuz from experience you need tons and tons of flow. I have 3100 gph through my 55g, and still think im on the very low end. id like to be around 6000 gph.
With head loss im at 4500gph so thats 50x turnover.

Unread 02/08/2007, 03:53 PM   #18
dippin61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xenon
With head loss im at 4500gph so thats 50x turnover.
you might want to start thinking now, about how to up your gph. Because your still going to have some dead spots. And the number 1 thing about going BB is to keep the detritus suspended so it can get down to your skimmer.

One of the best ways, it to make sure you have plenty of flow shooting at the bottom. Otherwise, stuff will start to settle, and you will find yourself siphoning more then youd like.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon BB Low Iron Glass, Dual 110w VHO Actinics, 250w PFO MH 20k XM
dippin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2007, 03:34 PM   #19
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Unread 02/10/2007, 09:17 AM   #20
Nano Chris
Registered Member

Wow, that looks very professional! I find it nice the way you display everything for us to see (Like the way you display the SALIFERT kits )

(Just got back into the hobby)

Current Tank Info: 34 Gallon RedSeaMax!
Nano Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 09:33 AM   #21
EWC88
Registered Member

I am liking that so much!! Keep us updated as much as possible!!! Also when ever you put that pump on, how loud is it?

EWC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 09:44 AM   #22
Brewen
Premium Member

Very clean set up, cannot wait to see it fully stocked and running.

Brewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 10:23 AM   #23
crumbletop
Registered Member

Looks nice. Some thoughts/suggestions:

1) You might consider reversing where you have your return pump and your drain/skimmer. I'd run the return pump so it is as straight up as possible (minimal bends). You've got 3 90's which really restricts the flow.
2) That looks like a mag return pump -- can't really tell from the pic. They don't run well with 3/4" plumbing. I'd plumb it bigger right up to the bulkhead. That will help it run better.
3) I'd run bigger pipe also on the drain. 1 1/4" at least and maybe 1 1/2" and run it across to the left. If you get flexible PVC for it, you can slope it instead of sharp bends. This + the increased diameter will reduce turbulance, splashing, and microbubbles.
4) I'd consider painting the wood on the inside of the stand. Salt spray will get on things -- especially where the drain empties into the sump. Another consideration would be to get some thin plexiglass panels and wedge them inbetween the edge of the sump and the stand. That way things are easy to keep clean and dry.
5) Since it's barebottom, don't you want to have a recirc skimmer and feed the drain directly to the skimmer?
6) What are you going to do about heat? That return pump will add a bunch, the sequence will add some, and so will the lights and the skimmer pump. You may want to look at a lower watt return pump like the ocean runner, as well as a way to vent the closet. You may even need a chiller to keep the temp down.
7) It looks like it could get mighty damp in there which could cause mold problems, so a way to vent the closet would be good for that as well.

You may have already considered all of the above, so I'm really just throwing these out there as things to think about...

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon AGA RR. 20 gal sump. 6x54W T5. AquaController Jr.
crumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 10:27 AM   #24
crumbletop
Registered Member

Oh, and one other thing. The bottom of the stand doesn't give enough space/room to mess with the return/drain bulkheads. I'd drain the tank and cut those holes in the wood a little bigger so you can easily access them. The last thing you want is to have a leak start from a crack or something else, and then have to drain your entire tank just to get to the bulkhead nut, etc. Since you are just setting this up, I'd address that now to avoid headache in the future.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon AGA RR. 20 gal sump. 6x54W T5. AquaController Jr.
crumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2007, 12:08 PM   #25
xenon
Owner of Canada Corals

Quote:
Originally posted by crumbletop
Looks nice. Some thoughts/suggestions:

1) You might consider reversing where you have your return pump and your drain/skimmer. I'd run the return pump so it is as straight up as possible (minimal bends). You've got 3 90's which really restricts the flow.

I am running a Mag 9.5 (950gph) The overflow can only handle 600gph so its actually a match made in heaven due to head loss from the elbows.

2) That looks like a mag return pump -- can't really tell from the pic. They don't run well with 3/4" plumbing. I'd plumb it bigger right up to the bulkhead. That will help it run better.

Like I said above.. any more flow and I would have to throttle it back.

3) I'd run bigger pipe also on the drain. 1 1/4" at least and maybe 1 1/2" and run it across to the left. If you get flexible PVC for it, you can slope it instead of sharp bends. This + the increased diameter will reduce turbulance, splashing, and microbubbles.

The drain is currently a 1 1/4"

4) I'd consider painting the wood on the inside of the stand. Salt spray will get on things -- especially where the drain empties into the sump. Another consideration would be to get some thin plexiglass panels and wedge them inbetween the edge of the sump and the stand. That way things are easy to keep clean and dry.

Interesting idea but so far so good becasuse my filter sock really cuts down on salt creep

5) Since it's barebottom, don't you want to have a recirc skimmer and feed the drain directly to the skimmer?

I couldint justify the RC Series skimmers so I will probably end up modding this one.

6) What are you going to do about heat? That return pump will add a bunch, the sequence will add some, and so will the lights and the skimmer pump. You may want to look at a lower watt return pump like the ocean runner, as well as a way to vent the closet. You may even need a chiller to keep the temp down.

Right now I am bang on at 80.. and my heater kicks in at night.

7) It looks like it could get mighty damp in there which could cause mold problems, so a way to vent the closet would be good for that as well.

I have only had it running for a few days so far so I am not usre how that will play out. I live in a bungalow so I could install one VERY easy.

You may have already considered all of the above, so I'm really just throwing these out there as things to think about... [/B]