Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2007, 05:55 PM   #1
szhttm
Registered Member

Talking New 210-gallon tank Designs and Plans

Hello!!!!,

I'm am in the process of finalizing my new reef tank system. I have had my current 92-gallon system for just over 8 years now. I think its time to upgrade. Would you agree??? LOL!!!

I will try and keep this as short as I can and will make every attempt to provide updates and soon as possible.

Aquairum:
AGA 210-gallon reef ready (72.5" x 24.5" x 29.5")

Stand & Canopy:
1) A steel stand will be constructed by a fellow member of FMAS (matt21ocean).
- The stand will be 39" tall.
2) The wood skin that will surround and hide the metal stand, and the canopy will be constructed by the same club member.

Sump:
Currenlty talking to a fellow FMAS member (thesaent14) to design and hopefully built it (38" x 17" x 22")

Lights:
1) Three 250 watt MH
- XM 10k bulbs
- PFO HQI ballasts
2) Four 72" (160 watt) actinic URI VHOs

Chiller:
A 1/2hp inline unit (still shopping for what brand to purchase)

Skimmer:
AquaC 400 running off a Gen-X/Mak4 external pump

Main Pumps:
Two Iwaki WMD40RLT

Additional Water Circualtion:
Two Tunze Turbelle Stream 6000 pumps running off of a 7095 Controller

Some related images are attached below:
1) Top and bottom of steel stand:

2) Front and back of steel stand:

3) Side of steel stand:

4) Sump plans:

5) Planned equipment layout in stand:

Good Luck And Have Fun!!!;

szhttm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Rogger Castells
Registered Member

Very nice, awesome planning, the only think I would do different is the Sump setup and the sock placement, I would like to have the overflow pipes offload in the skimmer directly (recirculating skimmer) first and the skimmer outlet offload in a sock, this will be way more effective and less maintenance.
Also three pumps is way too much electricity and more places were things could go wrong.

Rogger Castells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2007, 06:31 PM   #3
chrisaggie
Premium Member

Looks like you have a great start. I'm interested to see how this progresses!

Current Tank Info: 180 g tank w/ 3 250W 10K metal halides & 3 30w vho actinic. ~300 pounds mixed live rock. SPS dominated. 1/2 hp chiller, K2R calcium rector, GEO nilsen reactor, enaly ozonizer w/ milwakee orp controller, dual injector MR-2 w/ pan world
chrisaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2007, 07:48 PM   #4
illal
Registered Member

looks like you have a great plan

Unread 06/03/2007, 07:57 PM   #5
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

If this is drawn to scale, which I believe it is, I don't understand the baffle set up in the sump. It appears that you will be running it with about 4" of water in it ?

Metal stands are great. My new set up is like this. I'm just now starting on the shell. Make sure you get the frame powder coated.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!
coralfragger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2007, 08:03 PM   #6
szhttm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coralfragger101
If this is drawn to scale, which I believe it is, I don't understand the baffle set up in the sump. It appears that you will be running it with about 4" of water in it ?

Metal stands are great. My new set up is like this. I'm just now starting on the shell. Make sure you get the frame powder coated.
Yep, I tried my best to draw it all to scale.

The baffles are one of the last areas I need to look at in more detail. I really haven't given much thought to how high they are going to be. I actually started talking to the guy today who I hope will build it for me.

The third baffel, which does not go completely across the sump, is to be used to hold the water level float valve.

I'm actually waiting for one more estimate on the metal stand. This last estimate will be to make it out of stainless steel. (Less worries about rust...)

Unread 06/03/2007, 08:26 PM   #7
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

I'm not so sure that you need two supports with a metal frame as well. Mine is made from tubular steel and is 4' x 2' with no center brace at all. I'm sure you could do with just one center support. I'm going to basically make panels like cabinet doors that are formica'd and I'll embed earth magnets in them so they will simply stick to the frame yet pull away easily for access to the sump area.

Unread 06/03/2007, 11:45 PM   #8
thesaent14
Moved On

hey man its really good setup you will have we will be worcking on the sump just call me tomorow

manny

thesaent14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2007, 09:35 AM   #9
szhttm
Registered Member

Talking Hello again!!!

Its been quite a while since I started this thread, but I have made progress!! LOL!!!!

Here are some recent pictures after the metal stand was primed, painted, moved into its location, the tank was placed on top, and the filters were added and plumbed.

Unread 12/27/2007, 08:02 PM   #10
sickyute
Registered Member

hey where did you get your stuff from ... tank etc?

setup looks good.

Current Tank Info: 29 mixxed biocube on fire!
sickyute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 08:21 PM   #11
cubano2480
Moved On

cubano2480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2007, 08:24 PM   #12
cubano2480
Moved On

este esta mas loko q yo que regero de tubos jajajaja

cubano2480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2007, 07:54 PM   #13
szhttm
Registered Member

Sickyute,

Both Bernard and Carlton at Fishes of Eden were an absolute great help to me in not only deciding on what equipment I wanted but actually acquiring the exact items I wanted.

I purchased all my dry goods came from them (including the tank and the sump tank).

I do greatly appreciate all the help they have given me so far on this project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stand was built locally by Eric. Eric is the same guy who built Joe's (NYVP) stand. The canopy and wood skin is currently being built my Matt (fellow FMAS member).

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!;

Unread 12/29/2007, 07:56 PM   #14
szhttm
Registered Member

Cubano2480,

Thank for including the latest pictures in the thread!!!!

LOL!!!

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!;

Unread 05/07/2009, 06:59 AM   #15
szhttm
Registered Member

Talking

Well, it has been a long time since I updated this thread...

I was finally able to get it up and running. Its been running for about 2 months now.

I cycled it with shrimp from Publix. After that, I then added 4 Chromis, and 2 weeks later added an additional 7 Chromis for a total of 11. I let the tanks run for about a month and then shut down my 20g and moved the two Ocellaris Clownfish and some of the rocks over to the 210g. Since then I have added some corals like a ORA Red Planet, green Bali Acro, red and green Monti, and a brown with lavendar polyps Monti.

Below is a pic of the overall system when I was first cycling it. I will take more recent photos of the critters and upload them later.

Sorry for the small pictures, but I don't know how to show it larger with the 50K file size limit.

Unread 05/07/2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Pani16
Registered Member

dud that picture is too close can u zoom out a bit lol

Pani16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2009, 04:51 PM   #17
Driftdiver
Registered Member

I'm curious whether you modifying your original plumbing plans or if you kept it the way you initially stated. Personally, I am running a 220 g with a single Iwaki 40RXLT...hence my curiousity.

Driftdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 06:58 AM   #18
szhttm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Driftdiver
I'm curious whether you modifying your original plumbing plans or if you kept it the way you initially stated. Personally, I am running a 220 g with a single Iwaki 40RXLT...hence my curiousity.
The only difference was that we flipped everything around. If you look at the my Equipment Layout In Sump Plan, just flip it 180 degrees. Basically, the two pumps and skimmer are now on the left, the sump was moved to the right, and the single pump is now on the right side. This just made it easier to work on each of the units individually when it is time to perform maintainance on them. Plus, if I ever had to for any reason, I can pull the sump out easier from the right side of the steel stand.

You can see it in the picture where there is no wood skin covering the stand.

Unread 05/08/2009, 07:14 AM   #19
szhttm
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
The only difference was that we flipped everything around. If you look at the my Equipment Layout In Sump Plan, just flip it 180 degrees. Basically, the two pumps and skimmer are now on the left, the sump was moved to the right, and the single pump is now on the right side. This just made it easier to work on each of the units individually when it is time to perform maintainance on them. Plus, if I ever had to for any reason, I can pull the sump out easier from the right side of the steel stand.

Unread 05/08/2009, 07:32 AM   #20
szhttm
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:

Unread 05/08/2009, 09:10 AM   #21
szhttm
Registered Member

Talking Larger size photos

Unread 05/08/2009, 09:27 AM   #22
smchais
Registered Member

Nice!!!!!

Current Tank Info: My swimming pool with inflatable fish
smchais is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 09:52 AM   #23
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

Sweet Tank.

Great woodworking too.