Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/28/2007, 06:24 PM   #1
chopsuey
Registered Member

Pond Foam

Anyone have an idea as to what kind of Pond Foam is being used for this:

[/B][/QUOTE]

What the name of the product is and where you can get it? By the name of the product I 'assume' that its used for ponds. What is it used for in a pond? Just curious as I want to do this on my new tank. Thanks in advance.

chopsuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2007, 07:02 PM   #2
ReefJunkieOK
Registered Member

I would also like to know about this one.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon SPS dominated reef. 2x250watt XM 10K MH with 4x110 VHO actinic. 5000g koi pond.
ReefJunkieOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2007, 08:15 PM   #3
pdhenderson
Registered Member

beckett

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon, 20 g sump 20 g fuge, 2x175 w 14000k mh, 50 lbs diy rock 40 lbs lr, 25 lbs aragonite 1" SSB bed, sps dominant
pdhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2007, 06:54 AM   #4
smcnally
Registered Member

Here you go http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...11715/cid/3029

smcnally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2007, 08:05 AM   #5
steveo32
Registered Member

This foam is used to seal some rocks toget her or its used in hidding things for the pond so that it blends with the natural rock. I used it as my backround on my 180 gal. I'll try and get some pics up tonight. If you go slow with it and take your time you can get a natural look and blend some lr in there. It also picked up coraline pretty quick.

steveo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2007, 08:52 AM   #6
chopsuey
Registered Member

Right on guys thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally posted by steveo32
This foam is used to seal some rocks toget her or its used in hidding things for the pond so that it blends with the natural rock. I used it as my backround on my 180 gal. I'll try and get some pics up tonight. If you go slow with it and take your time you can get a natural look and blend some lr in there. It also picked up coraline pretty quick.
Can wait to see those pics.

chopsuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2007, 04:44 PM   #7
customcolor
Registered Member

I USED beckett also in my build also with crystal salt on it to give some texture (check out page 2 after clicking my red house). BTW u can get beckett at HD in the out door area by the pond stuff on a shelf. $12 a can

Great stuff====$5 a can
24-48 hour cure
Epoxy to cover it====little as $5 for small projects or up to $100+ for larger projects
and another 24-48 hour cure
I hope you covered it well cuz if you didnt it will start to break down in a few months
sand is another added cost to cover up the yellow.

Pond foams====$9-$15 a can
24-48 hour cure
DONE! You can cover it with sand if you want to (YOU DONT HAVE TO) though but thats added cost again

Current Tank Info: 75 gal under way
customcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2007, 08:15 PM   #8
smcnally
Registered Member

The HDs around me don't seem to carry it. I had to get mine at a local farm store and it wasn't cheap...It took me 2 cans to build this at $18.99 per can. You can see the type I got in the first picture on the right.

Unread 07/29/2007, 08:45 PM   #9
customcolor
Registered Member

that looks good, but how r u going to keep it down in the tank. are u going to put rock ontop or u going to silacone it to the tank?

Great stuff====$5 a can
24-48 hour cure
Epoxy to cover it====little as $5 for small projects or up to $100+ for larger projects
and another 24-48 hour cure
I hope you covered it well cuz if you didnt it will start to break down in a few months
sand is another added cost to cover up the yellow.

Pond foams====$9-$15 a can
24-48 hour cure
DONE! You can cover it with sand if you want to (YOU DONT HAVE TO) though but thats added cost again

Current Tank Info: 75 gal under way
Unread 07/30/2007, 01:52 AM   #10
IPT
Registered Member

Anything special about this "pond foam", or the great suff regarding reef use? Like does it need to cure a certain time, be sealed, etc? Or, can you just spray it, let it dry and put it into a tank with inhabitants?

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2007, 07:55 AM   #11
smcnally
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by customcolor
that looks good, but how r u going to keep it down in the tank. are u going to put rock ontop or u going to silacone it to the tank?
It will have some rock on it, but not enough to hold it down. I was thinking of filling the PVC legs up with sand and capping them and if that isn't enough weight, then I will silicone the whole unit to the bottom of the tank before I fill it.

Quote:
Originally posted by IPT
Anything special about this "pond foam", or the great suff regarding reef use? Like does it need to cure a certain time, be sealed, etc? Or, can you just spray it, let it dry and put it into a tank with inhabitants?
According to the can, it is fully cured in 24 hours. I haven't heard of anyone recommending waiting any longer before putting it in a tank.

Unread 07/30/2007, 06:01 PM   #12
customcolor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IPT
the only thing that sucks about pond foam and great stuff is that it floats to well. even though they are the same thing i think its worth paying 3 times the amount for the pond foam cuz it has a more apealing color of black or dark grey. u know not every side gets covered with coraline. so i realy dont think yellow will look good in my tank unless it was a tang.

Unread 07/30/2007, 06:34 PM   #13
IPT
Registered Member

cool, I may use some when I expand my tank. Seems like a good filler, or even to "bond" some rocks more seemlessly and not have P Ties and acrylic dowels everywhere. I do like the look.

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2007, 12:35 PM   #14
32flavors
Registered Member

Could it be used on the back wall of a tank with LR rubble embedded in it for an in-tank background?

"Inside of me there are 2 dogs. 1 of the dogs is mean & evil. The other is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." "Which dog wins?" "The one I feed the most." Native Amer

Current Tank Info: Have had several- nano, 25, 65 & 75. Currently have Evo 13.5 and 40B, both mixed reefs.
32flavors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2007, 12:04 AM   #15
Delta_zeta
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by 32flavors
Could it be used on the back wall of a tank with LR rubble embedded in it for an in-tank background?
I basically did this but rather than putting it directly on the tank I put it on eggcrate and cut it to fit. That way I can remove it if I don't like the look of it in the future. And, this is purely speculative, but because it's on eggcrate and thus there's room for water to flow behind, along with bacteria to grow and some debris to collect, I think I may get some of the benefits of having a plenum almost.

Delta_zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2007, 12:18 AM   #16
32flavors
Registered Member

Delta,

Did you put anything else on the fixture to weigh it down or secure it?

"Inside of me there are 2 dogs. 1 of the dogs is mean & evil. The other is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." "Which dog wins?" "The one I feed the most." Native Amer

Current Tank Info: Have had several- nano, 25, 65 & 75. Currently have Evo 13.5 and 40B, both mixed reefs.
32flavors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2007, 12:37 AM   #17
Delta_zeta
Moved On

In my particular situation I'm not going to have to secure it w/ anything. I cut the eggcrate to fit snugly in place before I put the foam on it. Then I removed the eggcrate from the tank, put the foam over it and let it dry. When it dried, it expanded over the edges of the eggcrate. I then started to slowly cut away the foam and it now fits VERY tightly. I left a little bit of foam around all of the edges and I have to push down pretty firmly to get it all the way back against the back of the tank. But because of the fit I highly doubt I'm going to need anything else to weigh it down.

Unread 08/06/2007, 06:40 AM   #18
smcnally
Registered Member

I siliconed mine in and it seems to be holding well. I put end caps on the PVC legs and then a big glob of silicone on each and let it sit for 2 days before filling the tank. I'm sure it will really suck if I need to pull it out though I'm really surprised with how real it looks in water...please excuse the cloudy water. Everything was placed in there shorty before the picture was taken.

Unread 08/06/2007, 09:21 AM   #19
Delta_zeta
Moved On

that actually looks pretty nice. I imagine it'll look amazing once it's covered in coralline

Unread 08/06/2007, 06:30 PM   #20
TitusvileSurfer
Registered Member

Its nice to see that 70 up and running, that just blows my mind.

Unread 08/07/2007, 03:57 AM   #21
smcnally
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I really am liking the way the pond foam looks under water. Here's a picture after the water cleared. I would definitely recommend that anyone that does this spend the extra money on the actual pond foam instead of the "Great-Stuff" because the color looks so much better and you don't have to worry about painting it. I was worried it wouldn't look that well because up close, when not in water, it looks almost like graphite...kind of blackish gray with tiny tiny spots that are almost sparkley. But it looks so much more like real rock when it is in the water.

Unread 08/07/2007, 06:04 AM   #22
30mini
Registered Member

Quick question...did you put the emspon salt in the pond foam right after you covered your structure with it? I'm guessing that the epsom salts is what created the cavities that may be needed for the porosity?
I am setting up a 30 gal work tank, and at the current moment, the 15 that I have has about 20 lbs or so of LR, but I wanted to do this to fill it out a little more. Any harm in doing a little bit, salting it, doing a little more, salting it, finishing it, salting it? Or is that what everyone is doing?

Current Tank Info: 24x24x18 SPS reef
30mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2007, 10:28 AM   #23
smcnally
Registered Member

If anyone does what I did, make sure you come up with a plan to anchor it down well. I siliconed mine to the bottom (which held), but the foam let go of the PVC and I came home to this today.

Unread 08/12/2007, 10:35 AM   #24
Delta_zeta
Moved On

wow, that really stinks. Let us know what you do to resolve it...because I was going to do pretty much the same thing you did.

Unread 08/12/2007, 10:36 AM   #25
smcnally
Registered Member

There's nothing I can do unless I drain the tank. I'll have to replace it with real rock.