Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 01/08/2008, 04:40 PM   #1
FB
Registered Member

Attempting to breed clownfish - log

My clownfish just laid their 3rd batch of eggs. After following many peoples advice I was able to place a tile in the tank and they took to it immediatly. Here is a pic of the new eggs.

I had started a phyto culture last week and it appears to have crashed. It has gotten lighter the last two days and now looks kind of yellow. I'm going to have to figure out what went wrong.

I had bought the phyto from the LFS. It came in a small water bottle for $6.99. I aslo bought the fertalizer which is based on the f/2 formula. I had a 1.7 litre clear orange juice container that I had rinsed out and let dry. I poured the phyto from the water container into the orange juice container. I then added my pre mixed RO/DI saltwater @ 1.019. I then added 19 drops of the fertalizer using the tools provided as per the instructions. I placed the airline in the bottle and started to bubble the mix. I had it bubbleing pretty fast but the bubbles were not collecting at the top like a skimmer. I placed the bottle in front of 2 20W flourecent tubes that I had from an old hood. The lights were on a 16 hour timer.

Anyway if you see something I messed up let me know.

I picked up the Clownfish last night and read to about page 100. I have not read anything from the breeding section yet but am looking forward to it.

Things I have to grow the fish out.

1 brine shrimp hatchery
2 10 gallon tanks
1 20 gallon tank
1 50w heater
1 air pump
1 4 way air valve
1 aqua clear 200 (don't know if this will be useful)
A euro-reef RS135 skimmer (got a great deal on it but have not bought the bigger tank for it yet).
I have a couple of maxi-jets lying around to use as needed.

If I can get the fry to grow I will buy more tanks as required. I don't want to put to much money out until I'm sure it's somthing I can and am willing to do.

I ordered the live rotifers from the LFS and have to pick them up on Wednesday. I will have to buy some phyto to feed them until I can get my culture going.

Any words of wisdom or suggestions would be great. I will probably have to let this batch go as I will probably not be ready. But atleast I know they like the tile I placed in the tank.

Thanks

FB

Unread 01/08/2008, 06:26 PM   #2
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Sounds like your getting a good start. As for your phyto, did it get nice a dark looking before it yellowed? Based on the time frame, I think it peaked and started dieing back. Usually it only takes a week from inoculation to a culture being ready for harvest. At this point you really need to harvest regularly to keep the culture in the exponential growth phase. Depending on how far gone it is, and what phyto it is, you might be able to renew that culture by putting a couple of ounces into a fresh bottle of medium.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
Unread 01/09/2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Abominable Reef
Registered Member

Congrats on the spawn and on them taking to a tile

I had the same trouble with the nanochloropsis culture that I bought in bulk. I had better luck with a culture disk:

https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/...=LIVE_CULTURES

Several people have mentioned too, that it's a whole lot easier and less mess to just use the algae paste, so that is what my main food source for my rotifer culture is.

Also, be sure and check out the links on the stickied thread at the top of this forum.

Unread 01/09/2008, 09:26 AM   #4
FB
Registered Member

What are you refering to when you talk about algae paste.

Out of curiosity how much phyto do the rotifers go through. I was thinking of buying phyto until I can get a culture going to keep the rotifers to atleast try to raise this batch.

What do you guys recommend a batch rotifer culture or the continuous. The book recommends the batch to start.

Thanks

FB

Unread 01/09/2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Abominable Reef
Registered Member

"algae paste" refers to concentrated microalgae in a bottle:

https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/...ICHMENT_DIETS+

http://www.reed-store.com/?category=46&subcategory=29

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/...Pastes-c6.html

Unread 01/09/2008, 03:57 PM   #6
FB
Registered Member

Thanks for the links.

If I am successful I was thinking about getting 6 30 gallon tanks and connecting them all together in seiries. The last tank would have some sand and live rock in half and then my RS135 in the other half. The water would then be pumped back to the first tank. This way each tanks water would keep being recycled the live rock and sand would process nutrients and the skimmer would pull out everything else. Now that I'm typing this I guess it would be exactly like most fish stores. I imagine this would be a good system to grow them out to size in.

FB

Unread 01/13/2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Jay F
Registered Member

I am breeding Ocellaris also, with descent success. I have aboutut 45 in a rearing, 3 to 5 weeks old, and about 200 in the larvae tank.

I feed my rotifers a concentrted microalgae from Reed mariculture (Great success with all of their products. I got my rotifer starter culture from them, as well s my brine eggs). It comes in 6 and 16 oz. bottles. It will stay alive for two months in the fridge. My rotifers are doing great (so far) in a 5 gal. bucket with an airstone.

Good luck!

Unread 01/14/2008, 09:59 AM   #8
FB
Registered Member

My eggs are a couple days away from hatching now. I have had no luck with my phyto culture but my rotifer culture seems to be doing well. My wife was able to bring a microscope home from work this weekend so I was able to take a look at what was going on. I don't think I have enough to raise this batch but I sure am going to try. I have started a second batch of rotifers on Saturday, hopefully this batch will be more than ready for the next batch in about 3 weeks. I am just buying phyto to feed the rotifers until I can get a viable phyto culture. I plan on co-culturing my rotifers in the larvae tank hopefully my rotifers keep growing as my clowns eat them up and this can get me through to the brine shrimp stage.

Anyway here is a pick of my rotifer. (I posted this in my other forum

Unread 01/15/2008, 12:14 AM   #9
FB
Registered Member

Well the eggs were ready to put into the breeding tank. I removed about 3 gallons of water from the main tank where the eggs were into my 10 gallon tank. I setup the bubbler, heater, ammonia indicator and my thermometer. The breeding tank is a 78.9 about .5 lower than the main tank. I set the thermometer earlier this week and it was running between 79.6 and 80.1. I am hoping it will raise the temp just a little more. I added the rotifers and some green water. My second batch of rotifers has been started I am realy hoping it will be producing enough to keep up but I really don't think it will be ready. I moved the eggs into the breeding tank on the tile and placed it near the bubbler so that they were gently but constantly swaying with the water movement.

Anyway we will see if it happens tonight or tomorrow night. I had to keep the main tank lights on an extra 2 hours to move them.

Wish me LUCK I am really gunna need it.

FB

Oh I also started another bottle of phyto. Lets hope this one takes. I have enough concentrated phyto to last a week feeding rotifers and if I need more I can buy some.

Unread 01/15/2008, 09:25 AM   #10
FB
Registered Member

Well they did not hatch last night and I lost at least 25% off the eggs, I'm guessing because I didn't have enough bubbles on them. Lesson learned. I moved to have more bubbles and am hoping they will be good when I get home.

Unread 01/16/2008, 07:32 AM   #11
FB
Registered Member

Well I have about 100 larvae in the breeding tank they seem to be swimming around very well. Many of them seem to be doing the lurching. I hope they are finding food. This is my first attempt so if there is anything important I should know about the first couple of days, tips, tricks anything please let me know. I have to leave for work at around 9:00 and won't be home until 6:00. I hope they have enough food to last that long. Will they be eating rotifers today or are they only living of the yolk sac.

Thanks

FB

Unread 01/16/2008, 01:28 PM   #12
sox
Registered Member

My ocellaris just laid ~40 eggs for the first time on Saturday or Sunday (I think). On Monday and Tuesday the eggs appeared orange and now they're purple. I set up a breeder tank, but I still need to get the microalgae and rotifer cultures started (hopefully today). This looks to be a learning experience for both of us.

Jim

Unread 01/17/2008, 12:55 PM   #13
FB
Registered Member

Well the start of day 2 has gone well. I've had a small number of deaths on the bottom of the tank. I have siphoned the bottom three times so far. About 3 litres in total. They are swimming actively which probably means there is no food in the tank. The last batch of rotifers I bought were completly dead. I have to go pic up two bags tonight. Hopefully these will be in better shape.

The ones that are alive do have silver stomachs which I believe means they are eating. (Can anyone confirm this)

Anyway hopefully I can get enough rots in tonight to keep them happy.

I started a brine shrimp last night just in case, althought the death rate on brine at this point maybe higher than doing nothing.

FB

Unread 01/18/2008, 12:08 AM   #14
FB
Registered Member

I can't say that I have much faith in this group. I just can't see them getting enough to eat. If any survive the night I may try the brine shrimp in the morning if they are ready.

The pair should be laying another batch in the next couple of days. I have started a rotifer culture with actual live rotifers in it so hopefully this one will take off. This should put me in a position to have enough rotifers for the next batch.

FB

Unread 01/18/2008, 08:11 AM   #15
FB
Registered Member

The ones that were not dead, died shortly after the lights came on. I don't see any moving now. 48 hour mark. They obviously never got any/enough food. I have a bucket of rotifers going and I took a couple of samples of my breeding tank water and there are rotifers in there. Should I just leave the tank and use it as a rotifer culture.

I new batch should be ready within 10 days or so. I'm hoping I am more than ready for them.

FB

Unread 01/18/2008, 09:15 AM   #16
billsreef
10 & Over Club

I would clean it out for good luck and reset it up with a good inoculation of green water and rots in preparation for the next batch.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
Unread 01/19/2008, 07:30 PM   #17
FB
Registered Member

There was a new batch of eggs on the tile when I got home yesterday. So by next weekend I should have another batch.

Unread 01/19/2008, 10:10 PM   #18
FB
Registered Member

I've now got two good rotifer cutlures started. Right now they are about 15/ml. I have lots of concentrated phyto available and also received a phyto culture disk which I shall attempt soon. I think I will be much more prepared for the next batch.

Thanks for everyones help so far.

FB

Unread 01/20/2008, 09:20 PM   #19
timthetoolman
Registered Member

Excellent, keep us informed. I'm thinking of trying it myself.
Tim

Unread 01/20/2008, 10:27 PM   #20
sandman5sanders
Registered Member

thank you for sharing your experience. I've recently put some effort into breeding Ocellaris Clowns in my 29Gal., but my French Angle disturbs them I think but it's a nice little set up, I made a little cove/cave with a piece of 1/2 inch flat live rock, they seem to have become teritorial of it but no eggs again I think the french angle has a lot to do with it. After reading your post (again thanks) I may not be even close to being prepared. I have other tanks (4 10Gal., 1 75Gal. and can probably get my hands on more if needed) for the rearing process but the feeding process appears to be more complex than anticipated, copuld you possibly give me a little better explanation of rotifers? Are they the first step in the feeding process? Again thanks and hey good luck this week I will be following your progress, hoping to make my first batch when and if it happens a little more sucessfull

Unread 01/21/2008, 07:20 AM   #21
FB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sandman5sanders
thank you for sharing your experience. I've recently put some effort into breeding Ocellaris Clowns in my 29Gal., but my French Angle disturbs them I think but it's a nice little set up, I made a little cove/cave with a piece of 1/2 inch flat live rock, they seem to have become teritorial of it but no eggs again I think the french angle has a lot to do with it. After reading your post (again thanks) I may not be even close to being prepared. I have other tanks (4 10Gal., 1 75Gal. and can probably get my hands on more if needed) for the rearing process but the feeding process appears to be more complex than anticipated, copuld you possibly give me a little better explanation of rotifers? Are they the first step in the feeding process? Again thanks and hey good luck this week I will be following your progress, hoping to make my first batch when and if it happens a little more sucessfull
I am new at this so i'm certainly no expert.

I will recommend one thing. If you don't have it get this book. It is really good and explains everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-Jo...0921418&sr=8-1

I have read it like three times in three weeks.

Good luck with the spawn.

FB

Unread 01/21/2008, 11:08 PM   #22
sandman5sanders
Registered Member

thanks for the info on the book I have one already (clownfishes and sea anemone's bye John Tullock) I googled rotifers and quite a few sites where available and of course they made culturing the microrganism easy, my lfs doesn't carry live cultures so I'll have to order them but I think since I also have corals I'll get started practicing very impressed with the microscope picture, how long till your new batch hatch?

Unread 01/22/2008, 01:02 PM   #23
FB
Registered Member

They should hatch friday night. I have been splitting rotifer cultures several times and now have 4 on the go. I am going to be ready this time. The new one is a 10 gallon tank. Currently 1/4 full but I plan to keep adding water until it is a full 10 gallons.

I checked the water after the last batched died and there were rotifers in the tank. Not nearly enough, but I am also going blame part of it on not enough light, so I will be adding more light this time. Most were swimming at the top of the tank.

Last edited by FB; 01/22/2008 at 01:12 PM.
Unread 01/22/2008, 05:46 PM   #24
sandman5sanders
Registered Member

I've been doing some research on the rotifer and I read rotifers didn't require much light, I'm saying what I read was correct and up until 2 days ago rotifers were of no use to my operation heres the websites I've been getting my info from, reed-mariculture.com/rotifer/small.asp I found the other website to be quite helpful also, more intuitive, microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?... also I went bye my lfs to pick up a mushroom this afternoon and was talking to one of the guys who work their and he was saying you can feed the rotifers and the hatchling cualerpa not the powder mix kind regular live cualerpa again what do I know, but if feeding is the problem maybe adding some to your regular mix will hold them till you get home from work???? good luck friday and if you can post some pictures

Unread 01/22/2008, 05:51 PM   #25
sandman5sanders
Registered Member

I'm sorry it was suppose to read. I'm "NOT" what I read was correct. I must of gotten ahead of myself when typing, good luck and remember if I knew what I was talking about I would not be asking so many ???????

Closed Thread