Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/29/2008, 12:24 PM   #1
birdman204
Registered Member

Bracing issue

Afternoon.

I must say, reefing has been fairly trouble free the past few years.
Of course, now that I said that.. I better go get some buckets and extra water right? :P
Anyhow, My issue is that a Portion of my bracing has failed. I am including a somewhat grainy picture, but you can tell that the Failure is in the silicone. It has detached from the tank rear wall and adjacent bracing. This portion is now dipping into the water, and I am afraid the front portion will fail and it will fall on a few corals. Although I must say the corals aren't my biggest concern at the moment. It's my downstairs neighbors and my flooring I am worried about.
The tank is a large display at 96x30x24.
What am I to do? Is this something I can fix with the tank pumps off? Am I doomed to trash this tank?
Any experienced and knowledgable suggestions will be appreciated.

~Bird~

birdman204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2008, 02:02 PM   #2
TheFishGuy,LLC
Registered Member

Can't tell from the pic. Has the brace pulled away from one side of the top of the tank? Years ago I had a client with a 72" tank that had a glass brace in the center that let go. He decided to just leave it for a short while till he figured out what to do. Unfortunatly a "short while" is all it took for the tank to fail. His fish room ended up as a pond. Hope it doesn't happen to you. If I were you, I'd drain the tank and maybe purchase a new one from a different manufacturer. Put a reptile in the one you have.

TheFishGuy,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2008, 02:38 PM   #3
birdman204
Registered Member

So am I to assume that repair is out of the question.
The brace piece does not seem to have pulled away.
If you follow the brace piece with the pump return thru it, you can see it is dipping into the water.
It appears to be a simple failure of the silicone.
This tank has been setup for 3 and a half years. I'd hate to see it need to be "rebuilt".
**Crosses fingers**

birdman204 is offline   Reply With Quote