Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2008, 12:53 AM   #1
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Cool The Ultimate Eight Foot Softie Reef

The tank is being built by Envision Acrylics out of 1" Polycast Acrylic. The tank will be completely rimless and measure 96x25x14(high).

This shallow tank was originally dreamed up as an SPS dominated tank. However, as my fiance and I settle into our new home, it has quickly become apparent I will not have the time nor budget to invest into a true SPS system.

So say hello to the ultimate softie tank:

more to come, stay tuned...

InsaneClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2008, 11:47 AM   #2
mayo-92
Registered Member

lookin pretty sweet do you already have all the equipment

mayo-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2008, 01:22 PM   #3
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

mayo-92- I'm trying to use as much equipment from my old setup as possible. The tank should be here mid to late October, and my stand will be here a week prior. The stand is being built by a custom stair builder in our local CTARS built the gorgeous stand for my last setup. Since the room is blue with white trim, the stand will be finished in white with a very modern, Euro look.

I just ordered a 60" Aquamedics Sunbeam fixture- 2X80w HO T5s.

As you can see from the photos, there are 5 large powerheads depicted on the overflow. I'm cutting this back to two for now. I intend to use the two Koralia 4s I already have and possibly add a third Koralia 3 if needed.

The return pump will be an Eheim 1250 I already own.
The skimmer is a custom Euro-Reef I used on my last setup that I had picked up second hand from a fellow reefer.
I'll be using a 40 Breeder I had converted into a sump for my last setup as well, and I have one Ebo-Jager 150w heater- so I'll probably pick up two more.

My goal here is to use as much of the equipment I already have; and since I am no longer concerned with PAR and excessive flow, I will be attempting to make this reef as energy efficient as possible.

So far the planned system will only use 240watts without the heaters! This is pretty astounding considering the tank volume will be approximately 108gallons.
When I planned this out as an SPS dominated tank, I was easily projecting a continual usage of 702watts more power. So I'm effectively cutting power by 3/4 from 942 continual watts to 240 continual watts.

For those who are interested, here's the link to my initial build thread I will be closing in favor of this one: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...light=maldives

I'll also be using a small 5 gallon tank for top off.

Unread 09/20/2008, 02:14 PM   #4
algaeguy
Over-The-Top- Reef Geek

This is going to be a VERY unique aquarium, and I'm stoked that you're going with a biotope! Seems like not only have you chosen a really cool aquascape for your system-you're taking your time to integrate it into your living space. Can't wait to see this one evolve. Good luck!

Scott

Current Tank Info: 14,000+ gallons of saltwater!
algaeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2008, 03:22 PM   #5
melev
Moved On

If you want it to be energy-efficient, then you need to install solar tubes.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

I'm definitely along for the ride. Thanks for the invite in your other thread.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2008, 05:12 PM   #6
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

algaeguy- Yes, I like an open look with the rockwork. It should look nice with some islands for the fish to swim around. I have about 10-15lbs. of Brazilian live rock sitting at a fellow reefer's house along with some of my Zoas and Duncans.
I'm going to order 45-55lbs. of Eco Rox shelf and Pukani from Bulk Reef Supply and start cycling/seeding in a Brute can I picked up at Home Depot. I also snagged a clip on utility light and reflector for $9. and a sunlight spectrum 65w PC flood bulb.

No more distilled water for me! I ordered an RO/DI unit from Melev's Reef. I just need to figure out where to put the damn thing.

speaking of Melev....

melev- As always, nice to have you along for the ride Marc. Those solar tubes are neat....hmmm....since my tank is going to be in our finished basement, wouldn't that be fun trying to wire

I looked into every possible solution for cost effective lighting. I looked into different style LED bulbs, LED replacement T5, T8, and T12 tubes, and various types of PC bulbs. The bottom line is right now there is nothing that gives the initial bang for the buck and lumen output that T5s will.

Interestingly enough, my mindset was to really invest in lighting this time around. Since I realized I'm not going to have the time to invest in the care level that some of the more light demanding corals deserve, I'm able to save quite a bit of $$$
I think I'll enjoy a tank more that I can spend a little less time tinkering with- and a little more time relaxing in front of.

I'll likely end up with a nice mix of Leathers, Mushrooms, Ricordia, Yumas, Pink Frilly Mushroom, Blue Xenia, Anthelia, Clove Polyps and Zoanthids. I'll likely keep a few LPS, like the Duncans I've had forever that came from Julian Sprung. I's like one Squamosa clam positioned carefully under the T5s.

The tank will be going in the "Blue Room"

Unread 09/20/2008, 05:15 PM   #7
jbriddle
Registered Member

great plans keep sending update pictures!!!

Unread 09/20/2008, 08:08 PM   #8
melev
Moved On

Is your laundry room on the same floor as where the tank will go? If so, you could install it over your washer & dryer like I did. What's your real name? People don't include their usernames in their transactions.

Unread 09/21/2008, 06:40 AM   #9
malnurs
Registered Member

tagging along! Great work and design. look forward to seeing things fall in place!

malnurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2008, 04:43 PM   #10
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

jbriddle Thanks, I'm itchin to get the tank now

melev Marc thanks for all the insight over the phone. I was actually planning on installing it next to the washer and dryer, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better place for it in my little fish room first.

malnurs I'm still playing around with idea and placement of the overflow. I'm considering a corner trapezoid. Like I said, the acrylic is already cut, and the tank is ready to be slapped together for October, so I have time to play around with some ideas.

So I took some time to install my RO/DI unit from Melev's Reef last night:

I just need to pick up a y fitting to hook it into the cold water valve behind the washing machine.

This thing was super easy to connect and I was pleasantly surprised at the solid build quality. The instructions online are straightforward. Interestingly enough, the elbow that commonly breaks in shipping was broken on mine. Fortunately, Marc is wise enough to include an extra elbow. Took me all of 15 seconds to replace the damaged part.

This picture was taken from the doorway leading to the tank room. What you can't see is the
RO/DI unit hanging right above my head to the left- very convenient.

I actually spent quite a bit of time organizing my fish room. It's important for me to be completely organized, and have everything in one place, this time around.

It's great to have a fridge for fish food right next to my supplies.

Unread 09/23/2008, 05:09 PM   #11
melev
Moved On

It seems to be hanging at an angle. What's up with that?

That fish room is nice. I'd sheetrock it if it was me.

Unread 09/23/2008, 05:19 PM   #12
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Ha ha "Reefkeeper in Spacccccceeeeee!" is how I like to think of it. I used two I hooks to hang it- hence the tilt. It's actually in a nice spot. With the fluorescent fixture right there I can see the filters clearly.

Good idea- you can sheetrock it in November

8 Foot Envisions
Unread 09/23/2008, 05:24 PM   #13
melev
Moved On

Yeah, you should start by holding your breath right now.

Unread 09/23/2008, 10:35 PM   #14
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

^
LMAO hahahhaha

Looking good man! cant wait to see you setting up the tank! might come give ya a hand lol....

Current Tank Info: 24X24X20 AIO SPS Dom
MADtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2008, 12:22 AM   #15
pitbullguy
Moved On

Wow that is cool

pitbullguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2008, 09:06 PM   #16
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

So I get home from picking up the base rock, salt and brass y fitting. I hook up the RO/DI unit. It fills up nicely then sprays me in the face with water. Completely my fault as I didn't seat the tubing properly into the replaced elbow.

So I fix the tube and turn the valve back on. Water seems to be bubbling off the top of the y. I unhook everything and tighten up the y fitting. Since I realize there is no more to go I take it off and look inside. Low and behold no washer, so I figure, must have fallen out in the bag.

Uggggggghhh...nothing in the Home Depot shopping bag. Then I remember never tearing the top of the part bag open- I had just opened the zip lock edge. Sigh- Some jerk stole the washer out of the part bag at Home Depot. God it's things like this that really irritate me.

Unread 09/24/2008, 09:09 PM   #17
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

sorry man it must have been me that took it j/k

that sux, man i hate that.... u think you are good to go and all is well and dandy until you start it up and something is not working right !

So when is the tank due in your house ?

Unread 09/24/2008, 09:44 PM   #18
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Rich, tank is due to arrive second or third week of October.

I wouldn't have been so aggravated if everything wasn't already closed. Not to mention I have to trek back to Home Depot for a washer.

At least I'm making water. I just have to pick up the Y fitting tomorrow so we can continue to do laundry

All was not a loss however. I had an appointment to meet Bob of Cultured Aquatic Life today, and man did I score some nice Pukani and Shelf dry rock on that group buy. This is only 47lbs. super light and super porous:

Overall, I'm happy. The rock was dirt cheap and he had amazing deals on IO salt- so I bought 400g worth

Unread 09/24/2008, 09:57 PM   #19
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

Nice man, dude for being only 45lbs it looks like a lot of rock! gotta love that light weight rock!

Unread 09/24/2008, 10:13 PM   #20
melev
Moved On

Go steal the washer out of a garden hose, and pick up a set of washers on your next trip to Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart...

Unread 09/24/2008, 10:35 PM   #21
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Marc, that's the problem with being in a new house. I literally don't have "a" garden house laying around- or parts of any kind for that matter. My plan was to go out and pick up washers tomorrow- the irritating part is not having this stuff on hand.

8 Foot Envisions
Unread 09/25/2008, 06:28 AM   #22
wilmonkey5
Registered Member

tagging along for the ride.

this is gonna be a killer tank

wilmonkey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2008, 02:55 PM   #23
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

wilmonkey5- Good to have you along. Hopefully the tank is killer and I keep from "killing" my livestock

I liked the quality of the Aquamedic Sunbeam so much I ordered a second one:

Just ordered 4 of the 60" Tek2 Reflectors and bulbs from ReefGeek.

Unread 09/25/2008, 08:23 PM   #24
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

sweet!

Unread 09/25/2008, 08:34 PM   #25
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Thanks Rich! Oh btw I forgot to send you a pm. Build me a nice sump and you can have the tank and stand The buyer for the pendant fell through, so build me an awesome sump and you can have all three

Picked up the washer today, and the RO/DI and washing machine are now connected properly. I'm soaking the rock in RO water for 4-5 days to release any excess organics and ammonia before I start a cycle with salt.

8 Foot Envisions