Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 11/03/2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Tswifty
Registered Member

90 becomes 30... The takedown, breakdown, and rebound.

Well this should be a relatively short thread, but I decided to post it to chart my process of consolidating everything from my 90g reef into a custom acrylic rimless cube tank I originally had constructed for fragging and grow out purposes. Dimension-wise it's 28.6 gallons, but it probably holds 25 gallons when all is said and done.

The dimensions of the tank are 21" x 21" x 15" and it is made out of 3/4" acrylic. The tank was constructed by a guy from the local reef club. He did an absolutely amazing job on the tank.

The tank has an internal overflow box which was bent, and not constructed out of 3 separate pieces. There are two holes drilled in the overflow box for 1" bulkheads. Also, the back wall and the overflow box were both constructed out of black acrylic.

I'll be using the HGB or Hofer Gurgle Buster for the drain, and will be stepping the plumbing up to 1.5" after the bulkhead. The return line will be made out of 1" PVC, and will step down to 3/4" PVC which will attach to the 3/4" loc-line outlet in the tank.

Lighting is a 250w PFO Mini-Pendant HQI with a 12,000K bulb and M80 ballast. However I may switch to a 14,000K bulb or a 20,000K bulb later on. Also, I'm considering using some T5's for supplementation, but am going for the sleek floating light fixture look so I'd rather not.

Filtration for now is a 20g Long sump/fuge that I was using on my 30g QT tank. I'll be having something custom made once the stand is constructed though, and will be using the MSX-160 and Eheim 1262 return pump once the 90g tank is broken down. For now I'm running skimmerless, and am using a ViaAqua 2300 return pump. Also, the top-off system will be transferred with the Kalkwasser still reservoir for dosing.

The main purpose of the tank is to house my SPS & Clams for the time being, and stocking (fish-wise) will remain relatively light. Some of the current inhabitants of my 90g reef that will make it over include:

- 1 Female Mandarin Dragonet
- 1 Yasha Hase White Ray Goby
- 1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- 1 Engineer Goby

No tangs in this one

I'll probably look for a pair of Onyx, Black, or Picasso Clownfish to add also, but as I said above, the tank will primarily be focused on SPS and Clams.

Not sure if I forgot anything, but feel free to ask if something is missing.

Last edited by Tswifty; 11/04/2008 at 12:15 AM.
Unread 11/03/2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Tswifty
Registered Member

Oh yeah... pictures

Tank and some of the plumbing:

The makeshift setup for now:

1/2" foam pad:

Bulkheads underneath the stand:

HGB and Return pipe connected to the loc-line outlet:

Plumbing w/ easy disconnect unions so the plumbing can be redone easily once the new stand/sump is constructed:

All connected up:

Unread 11/03/2008, 11:18 PM   #3
raen
Registered Member

I must admit I ove a TJ thread, but this one made me a bit sad. I know good things will come for you.

She wasn't wicked, she only liked the shoes!!!

Current Tank Info: 60 Gall Hex, 3 #3's, no fuge..........YET!!!
Unread 11/03/2008, 11:23 PM   #4
Tswifty
Registered Member

Thanks Rae, I'm going to ask to have the 90g thread closed once I finish taking it down.

This tank is beautiful though, so it's not all bad.

Unread 11/03/2008, 11:26 PM   #5
raen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
Thanks Rae, I'm going to ask to have the 90g thread closed once I finish taking it down.

This tank is beautiful though, so it's not all bad.
Say it aint so....the ThOTM closing. Wow, so sorry teej. I think you should keep it open, you can always teach others on your thread.

Unread 11/03/2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Tswifty
Registered Member

Off comes the curtain!

Filling up:

Surface flow from the junky return pump I use for mixing salt. The Eheim should definitely kick it up a notch

Full Frontal:

Unread 11/03/2008, 11:31 PM   #7
raen
Registered Member

TJ, your guy did a wonderful job on that thing! WOW!!!Looks great!

If we keep this up we can split this thing tonight! Lets do it!

Unread 11/03/2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Tswifty
Registered Member

Tomorrow I'm going to transfer some sand, and try to aquascape the tank. Basically I'm thinking of trying to transfer the right half of my 90g tank into this tank, or at least try to construct a similiar rock structure.

I've thought about making a PVC skeleton, but am not sure if it's something I want to undertake. I have the 1/2 PVC and fittings to do it if I choose to though.

Also, a buddy of mine is going to lend me a Koralia Nano for some supplemental flow for now, but I'll be using 1 or 2 Tunze 6025 Nanostreams to provide flow inside the tank.

I also need to put rock rubble and macro in the refugium, and hang the light fixture tomorrow.

Unread 11/03/2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raen
TJ, your guy did a wonderful job on that thing! WOW!!!Looks great!

If we keep this up we can split this thing tonight! Lets do it!
Yeah it's way too purdy to be a frag tank

Unread 11/04/2008, 12:00 AM   #10
Tswifty
Registered Member

The system was initally filled up with about 30 gallons of water from my established 90g system, and the rest freshly mixed SW.

Unread 11/04/2008, 12:08 AM   #11
Taqpol
Registered Member

That tank absolutely glows! Its been so sad reading your other threads, but this tank is already looking like its going to be top notch. If all you want is a few really nice colonies of rare SPS/Clams I am sure you will be more than happy with a 30 gallon for now. After all, nanos can be very beautiful if done right (I saw a 29 gallon in a picture and could have sworn it was a 90).

Please don't have the 90 gallon thread closed. I have it bookmarked and whenever someone needs advice on a bigger tank or I want some more ideas for the one I'm planning I always end up back in your thread.

P.S. I'm already subscribed to this thread!

-Alex
Unread 11/04/2008, 12:23 AM   #12
kudora
thread reader

well you know i will be here for support, sad to see the other thread close tho. this new tank is very "purty" lol

"Paul b"

Current Tank Info: 84 gallon(60x18x18) tank, 40 breeder frag, 30 gallon lps
Unread 11/04/2008, 12:27 AM   #13
kudora
thread reader

dont wait to long on the tunze, i have a k nano and i have it in a normal 30 gallon, doesnt move much water

"Paul b"

Unread 11/04/2008, 01:04 AM   #14
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

Beautiful tank! I just love a rimless tank, hopefully I'll have one someday. Almost looks jewel like...

Unread 11/04/2008, 03:13 AM   #15
Rustylugnuts
Powdered Toast Man

Knowin you that lil reef box is going to be gorgeous when you're done with it. I'll be taggin along for sure.

Current Tank Info: Buncha parts and tanks of various size. Nothing currently running :(
Unread 11/04/2008, 07:44 AM   #16
Linina
Premium Member

Curious about your light and how you'll like it. I simply cannot make my mind up on a light for my new 40 - t5 vs MH. My 90 was a very similar setup to yours so curious of your opinion of the MH.

Love the tank, it's awesome!

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder, elos mini
Unread 11/04/2008, 07:52 AM   #17
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

i dont doubt for a minute that your tank will look fantastic when you have it all finished, your a great reefer, good luck buddy, cant wait to see some pics in a few months when its alive

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 11/04/2008, 08:13 AM   #18
OwNeD162
Registered Member

The tank looks great already TJ, that guy did a great job putting it together! Can't wait to see it with a bit of life in it ! Tagging along as always
Mitchell

^ Click on my username and 'Visit OwNeD162's Home Page!" to view my Australian nano reef build!

(CH) - Clubhouse Represent!

Current Tank Info: 2 x 1 x 1ft + EcoSystem Pro 40 HOB + 1 x 150W DE MH, 2 x 24W Actinic, Hailea HC- 150A 1/10 HP Chiller, Vortech MP20
Unread 11/04/2008, 08:38 AM   #19
ser_renely
Registered Member

looking good.

why the change?

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 15g sump/fuge,Tunze 9010 skimmer, Reefbreeders Photon 16" - 2 Osc. Clowns,2 Lyretail Anthias, Blue Chromis, mp20, mp10....another DAMN pistol shrimp!
Unread 11/04/2008, 09:22 AM   #20
Rae C.
Registered Member

Great looking tank. It does look like a jewell. I'm tagging along on this one too, it'll be beautiful!

It's 8:30, kids. Turn off the tank and go to bed!

Current Tank Info: 65 gal, softies, 1 mandarine, 1 clown
Unread 11/04/2008, 10:38 AM   #21
Fig70g
Registered Member

I had kept up on your recent threads as well, looks like this new venture will be a good looking tank! I am just now deciding to break down my 70 into my 29g for the next few months, for some upgrades on the 70 and to keep things more simple. I will be tagging along to see how you setup the smaller tank, I am sure it will be impressive!

"The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow.
You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N"

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 30g sump, Little Giant 3MDQ return, split to 5g fuge. ASM G1x skimmer. T5 lighting
Unread 11/04/2008, 01:06 PM   #22
mg426
Registered Member

Nice job !!!

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef 110 lbs LR, 1x250watt XM 20K MH 2x175watt XM 20K MH on Magetics 2X96 watt actinic PC, 220 watt VHO actinic, 30 gallon refugium, closed loop system powered by Sequence Dart MSX 200 skimmer 38 gallon sump, Oceansmotions squirt
Unread 11/04/2008, 01:07 PM   #23
Rustylugnuts
Powdered Toast Man

LOL Wow my last post really made sense . No it wasn't drunk RC'n just check the time stamp! It did look right @ 3am.

Current Tank Info: Buncha parts and tanks of various size. Nothing currently running :(
Unread 11/04/2008, 02:08 PM   #24
LAK
Registered Member

i looooove this tank!

im excited to put a clown goby in it if TJ lets me, lol

Unread 11/04/2008, 03:17 PM   #25
kudora
thread reader

Quote:
Originally posted by Rustylugnuts
LOL Wow my last post really made sense . No it wasn't drunk RC'n just check the time stamp! It did look right @ 3am.
i have a hard time sleeping, i do alot of my reef stuff in the middle of the night, i checked all my parms at 1 am since i was having probs with the tank, it was hazy on sunday night after feeding and my orange monti cap was starting to bleach, i had not done any test in a couple of weeks and found out my alk went from 8.2 to 10.9 in a matter of weeks. check out my post times sometime i stay up late almost everynight.

"Paul b"

Closed Thread