Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Padrino
Registered Member

Padrino's 90 Gal Reef Build

Well i can honestly say that after reading the build threads from TJ (Tswifty8) and the many other builds i am officially hooked and want to start a thread of my own to help other reefers new to this gain some valuable knowleadge.

From this point i have purchased a few components and will be purchasing others throughout this thread. Please feel free to throw in your ideas and comments at any time as it makes the thread more interesting and allows myself as well as other readers the chance to view the subjust from different perspectives.

Here are some of the following items i have purchased thus far:
1. 90 gal AGA glass tank with overflow
2. Custom Stand 36 inch high with removable center brace and doors on 3 of 4 sides.
3. Iwaki external pump 40RLXT 1200GPH (says 1344 on the box though.. well see)
4. Octopus Extreme 160 protein skimmer
5. Coralife 18 watt UV sterilizer
6. Current USA Outer Orbit HQI light fixture
7. 2 x TLF phosban reactors

Enjoy!

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Padrino
Registered Member

Here is the stand that was purchased through Big als aquarium services here in canada. This stand is made of pine it measures 50"x19.5"x38". it has a lip around the bottom to hide the rim of the tank. The tank sits 36" from the floor. I also had a piece made to go on the top rim of the tank to match the stand. Front center brace is removable should i ever feel like it is needed to install a large sump, ect. I also had 2 extra doors put on the sides so that the equipment could be accessed from any side.

Here are some quick pictures,
Photobucket

Photobucket

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:10 PM   #3
crvz
Team RC Member

Sounds like a great setup with quite some potential, look forward to seeing it come together. What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Glad you started your own build thread. I'll look forward to seeing it come together also.
where did you purchase your pump and protein skimmer?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Padrino
Registered Member

Here is a couple pictures with tank and overflow kit. I think this is the best place to put this tank since i live in a small house and its not in line with any direct windows. One issue is it is right near the front door but i feel like there isn't really an option for another location. I am planning to leave about 6" from the corner of the wall to the tank and about 4" from the back of the tank.

Here are some more pics,
Photobucket

Photobucket

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
Sounds like a great setup with quite some potential, look forward to seeing it come together. What do you plan on keeping in the tank?
ahh another great reefer .. thanks for joining,, my exact plans are not 100% yet but i would like to have some SPS, clams, the cast from NEMO, open to alot of coral right now not exactly set on just one type. I picked up the HQI fixture to be able to support the clams.

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:26 PM   #7
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Just don't be too quick to buy all your stuff from BA's
My list of BA's replaced stuff:
trickle filter and 30 gal sump
2 stage corallife ro filter
berlin skimmer
bioballs
glass heaters
maxijet power heads
coral life return pump
all second rate and all replaced---a big waste of big bucks

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 11/08/2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
Glad you started your own build thread. I'll look forward to seeing it come together also.
where did you purchase your pump and protein skimmer?
Capn,
I am so glad to see you join the thread, I bought the pump and skimmer from premium aquatics in Indianna. I have been in contact with Jason Frey, really a stellar guy and he really does put a lot of effort into answering any questions you email to him.

Actually i plan on purchasing a lot more from him infact i just recently bought a aqua controller 3 with the aquasurf and DC8 unit. Still waiting as it is in transit. I will also be picking up a GEO calcium reactor from him within a month or so .. if you ever want to go in onan order, we could save on shipping.

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
Just don't be too quick to buy all your stuff from BA's
My list of BA's replaced stuff:
trickle filter and 30 gal sump
2 stage corallife ro filter
berlin skimmer
bioballs
glass heaters
maxijet power heads
coral life return pump
all second rate and all replaced---a big waste of big bucks
hahahah i totally agree, i have been buying more stuff from premium aquatics, minus the tank and the stand which was built locally but purchased through BA.

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:38 PM   #10
Padrino
Registered Member

Actually I need your help with something relatively quick. I have a small issue with respect to my light fixture. So far i like it but it is quite big and the way it sits on the tnak in the pictures posted above doesn't really give me much space to get my arm in there to do maintenance.. I was thinking of using these ceiling mounts that were supplied with the fixture and not use those skinny feet. That light fixture measure 48" x 15"x 4". Its the width since my tank is only 18" wide. The fixture is a 2x 150Watt HQI MH with 4 x 54Watts actinics and 18 leds (moonlights). Would there be any disadvantage to raising that fixture a couple inches??

Here are some pics
Photobucket

Photobucket

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Padrino
hahahah i totally agree, i have been buying more stuff from premium aquatics, minus the tank and the stand which was built locally but purchased through BA.
you might want to try Salt Water Connection out of Winnipeg--same stuff, same price as the states but just straight shipping by CP with no duty or hold up at customs.

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:41 PM   #12
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
you might want to try Salt Water Connection out of Winnipeg--same stuff, same price as the states but just straight shipping by CP with no duty or hold up at customs.
This is very valuable information... i hate UPS.. i have asked all companies in teh states to ship by other means aka usps, dhl ect. I will have to check this out now.. See its great to have somewhat local reefers for information like this

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:42 PM   #13
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Actually I need your help with something relatively quick. I have a small issue with respect to my light fixture. So far i like it but it is quite big and the way it sits on the tnak in the pictures posted above doesn't really give me much space to get my arm in there to do maintenance.. I was thinking of using these ceiling mounts that were supplied with the fixture and not use those skinny feet. That light fixture measure 48" x 15"x 4". Its the width since my tank is only 18" wide. The fixture is a 2x 150Watt HQI MH with 4 x 54Watts actinics and 18 leds (moonlights). Would there be any disadvantage to raising that fixture a couple inches??

Here are some pics
Photobucket

Photobucket
none what so ever---esp since your tank is not a high tank.
This will also alleviate some possible heat problems you might have and allow you more space and water churning for gas exchange at the surface of the display tank.

Look at it this way--raise the light six inches--raise the reef six inches and sps corals won't know the difference.

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:45 PM   #14
Padrino
Registered Member

NICE! i will be doing this first thing tomorrow morning. Now because it is 150Watt MH will it still penetrate to the bottom if i raise the fixture 6" just because i want to have at least 1 or 2 maxima clams in teh future.

Unread 11/08/2008, 06:56 PM   #15
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
NICE! i will be doing this first thing tomorrow morning. Now because it is 150Watt MH will it still penetrate to the bottom if i raise the fixture 6" just because i want to have at least 1 or 2 maxima clams in teh future.
the max penetration for that light fixture is about 18 inches and then it drops off considerably.
You really don't need light to penetrate to the bottom if you plan out your corals well
eg lps like mushrooms--low light low flow--near the bottom
sps high flow high light---right up on the top of the reef.

Unread 11/08/2008, 07:18 PM   #16
Padrino
Registered Member

Well that makes me feel alot better knowing this, I just checked out Salt water connection.. haha like EXACTLY the same as the Octopus Extreme skimmers with just a different logo on the skimmer. I wonder how their CA reactors compare to the GEO that premium Aquatics sell, Also i didn't see any prices on their reactors.

Capn, while all of this is happening i am still trying to design a sump that will be able to house the octo extreme 160 skimmer, a ca reactor (most likely the GEO 612 but could change) 2 phosban reactors all in the sump while trying to keep a small fuge. Like i really am cramped for space under that stand. I am currently designing a sump that i will post in the future once i figure everything out. It will probably be limited to 34"x 15" wide x 15.75" tall just because i have to leave room for my external pump and a small 5lb CO2 tank and the electrical panel. From my rough calculations though the fuge would be approx 24.25 x 5 x 13 tall.roughly 7 gal. I know you have a lot of knowledge on this with your one thread, refugiums, the good, the bad, and the ugly My concern is will this small section be beneificail enough to warrant the room in the sump and sqeeze eveything togther? or scrap the fuge and allow for more room in the sump? I plan of having the main return line T off so that i can control the flow into the fuge should i decide to go with one.. Capn, what do you think?

I can see this thread being quite extensive over time.

Unread 11/08/2008, 07:25 PM   #17
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Well that makes me feel alot better knowing this, I just checked out Salt water connection.. haha like EXACTLY the same as the Octopus Extreme skimmers with just a different logo on the skimmer. I wonder how their CA reactors compare to the GEO that premium Aquatics sell, Also i didn't see any prices on their reactors.

Capn, while all of this is happening i am still trying to design a sump that will be able to house the octo extreme 160 skimmer, a ca reactor (most likely the GEO 612 but could change) 2 phosban reactors all in the sump while trying to keep a small fuge. Like i really am cramped for space under that stand. I am currently designing a sump that i will post in the future once i figure everything out. It will probably be limited to 34"x 15" wide x 15.75" tall just because i have to leave room for my external pump and a small 5lb CO2 tank and the electrical panel. From my rough calculations though the fuge would be approx 24.25 x 5 x 13 tall.roughly 7 gal. I know you have a lot of knowledge on this with your one thread, refugiums, the good, the bad, and the ugly My concern is will this small section be beneificail enough to warrant the room in the sump and sqeeze eveything togther? or scrap the fuge and allow for more room in the sump? I plan of having the main return line T off so that i can control the flow into the fuge should i decide to go with one.. Capn, what do you think?

I can see this thread being quite extensive over time.
Crappy tire special--15 bucks and it will fit under your stand--55 gals

Unread 11/08/2008, 07:27 PM   #18
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
This is very valuable information... i hate UPS.. i have asked all companies in teh states to ship by other means aka usps, dhl ect. I will have to check this out now.. See its great to have somewhat local reefers for information like this
don't rule this site out---really fast shipping--prices 1/3 less at least then retail. Dan, the owner is a most knowledgable and support guy.

www.mops.ca

Unread 11/08/2008, 07:31 PM   #19
Padrino
Registered Member

i have looked at MOPS before bt always thought they were more expensive than going to someone in the states. I guess i will have to revisit the numbers.

Aslo about the 55 gal container you posted.. lol i ve seen that picture a few times in different threads.. not to say it wouldn't work but i think i will have an issue fitting the rest of the items that would sit outside of that like the CO2 tank, external pump ect, exactly what are the dimensions of that container??

Unread 11/08/2008, 11:29 PM   #20
Tswifty
Registered Member

Looks like you're off to a good start... That stand sure is sharp

Have you given anymore thought on how you might vent it?

Also, as capn stated... Hanging the fixture higher will help with some heat issues. I can't really speak to the intensity/penetration of 150w Hallides. I believe capn has ran the same fixture for a while, and should be able to help you out as far as what you can and can't house, and placement decisions.

The MSX and ReefOcto's are the same skimmer as you noticed... Great skimmers too.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily pick up a Ca reactor just yet. Unless you want to. For a while you should have no problem maintaining your levels with a 2-part dosing system or dosing Kalkwasser via your ATO, and could save some cash.

Have you decided what size tank to use for your sump? I used a 30g Long under my 90, and it left enough room to house a Ca Reactor setup or small ATO reservoir.

Oh and are you planning on anything for supplemental flow?

btw... subscribed!

Tswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2008, 11:45 PM   #21
Padrino
Registered Member

Excellant questions, As i am familar with your build threads, you used a internal pump on your 90 gal build. I am not 100% sure how i will setup up the sump at this time but i want to design it with the intention of needing the ca reactor. I really don't want to find myself saying i wish i did this or that.. lol somehow it happens to all of us. Anyways rest assured i will take some screendumps of the sump once it is designed in unigraphics.

As for venting. I plan on making a nice electrical panel out of an industial electrical box that was supplied from my work.. lol that will be posted once my aquacontroller arrives and will be housed inside. That will be posted in a week or so. In this panel i will have a small transformer that will be able to run low voltage items 12V, 24V DC applications such as computer fans. I am thinking something like what Melev has here,
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/fan_tray.html

Also I will be keeping the one side of the tank 6" from the wall in which i plan to crack the side door open in between the stand and the wall. Not exactly sure if this will be suffice?

Supplemental flow will consist of my return pump Iwaki 1200GPH (this pump will T off to a UV sterilizer and the fuge) then my aquacontroller will be hooked up to a aquasurf which will control 3 turbelle stream 2 6105 controllable pumps. Each pump is reated like 700gph to 3200gph or something very close to that. The aqua surf will control these pumps and probably keep them at around 50-60% capacity but can be controlled differently if needed.

BTW, TJ super glad to have you and Capn aboard!

Unread 11/08/2008, 11:47 PM   #22
Padrino
Registered Member

Also should add that i made a small manifolf out of 1/2" PVC tube. Im thinking of getting an efficient internal pump arond 500gph that will feed this manifold and pump the ca reactor, and both phosban reactors.just not sure where to house that. Maybe i will get creative in teh skimmer section and raise the ca reactor above it.. have not made it that far yet

Unread 11/09/2008, 12:10 AM   #23
Vapour1ze
I'm an Addict.

im gonna follow urs I'm in the process of mine as well, I've really became addicted to 90s, I'm loving all the build threads, My biggest fear though is aquascaping, thats basically the step I'm on, and am unsure on how to do it, because I'm used to by nano, and this is 25 inches tall, I don't know whether to just stack on top of each other or what, so I'm tagging!!! looks good thus far, how much was ur light ?

Unread 11/09/2008, 12:18 AM   #24
Padrino
Registered Member

Glad to have you aboard. I actually went to buffalo 2 months ago for a chicken wing festival .. HAHAHAHAHAHA it was awesome!! anyways i bought the light there along with a 90GPD RO/DI unit from spectapure from A reef creation. I paid 750 US for the light and just drove it over the border.

Because of the size of the house that im living in, space in kind of an issue. If it was my way, i would rather go for a 120 gal being 48"x24" x24". I think it makes it easier to aquascape with the extra depth but well see how it goes.. I'm a little far from that stage but stay tuned. Tomorrow morning i will be installing the light fixture to the ceiling which will allow me to set the height to whatever i like.

Unread 11/09/2008, 12:21 AM   #25
Vapour1ze
I'm an Addict.

will do,