Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Tc269
Registered Member

MY MINI Build.

Hi I am doing a mini build not nothing massive like jermey lol but still a upgrade for me. I have had a 55 gallon now for about 1.5 years now and before that a 24gl nano. Now its time for me to do anouther upgrade I found a 90gl predrilled with stand that I just recently purchased. I am in the process now of (beefing) up the stand dont like the pine stands the way they are, just doesnt seem like its very strong or steardy for holding about 1200 pounds. I have the tank filled on the ground about 3/4 the way with some vinagar water to help clean it up. I bought a 30 gallon tank (36x12x16) to go in the stand that I am going to make into a sump. First section skimmer (octopus extreme 200) , second part refugium, last section for my pump. I am going to change my crushed coral I have now for some carib sea special grade reef sand some live some dry arag. I am only going to buy about 30lbs more of live rock seeing as my 55 has close to 100 now. Want to get a group of 3-4 bartlett anthias in this tank also but in due time. My rock work will be done with drilling holes and using rods. My lights are (2) 250w 14k phoniex bulbs with lumenmax elite reflectors. I would like a calcium reactor also some day. If you guys have some good ideas you think I should try something let me know this is kinda going to be a slow process but I like new idea or if you have any supplies you think I will need let me know. Thanks

Current tank as of right now

New tank so far

Tc269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Pike614
Registered Member

should be a fun project! DId you decide to do a canopy, or just hang the lights again?

Pike614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Tc269
Registered Member

the tank will be in the exact same spot soo hopefully with the bigger tank not so much light will escape. if it still does than I am going with a canopy.

Current Tank Info: 55gallon with 300watt MH 14K lights and a turbo flotor multi skimmer
Unread 01/24/2009, 01:50 AM   #4
Tc269
Registered Member

and its already came to a halt!! took out the sand and water when I was done getting rid of the coraline algea. There is a crack that runs across the bottom of the tank? I am right to assume thats this means the tank is done?

Current Tank Info: 55gallon with 300watt MH 14K lights and a turbo flotor multi skimmer
Unread 01/24/2009, 11:08 AM   #5
bwoody62
Registered Member

It would be for me.....I wouldn't trust fixing it.

bwoody62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Bri Guy
Registered Member

OH NO, its a good thing you didn't have your 55 all torn down waiting to fill the 90, or did you?

Good Luck!

Current Tank Info: 40BR w/ 250w 14K Phoenix + 192w PC, 10g fuge w/ 55w PC, 10g sump, Eheim 1250 return w/ SCWD, ASM Mini G skimmer, Gravity fed ATO, Kalk doser, 1/10 HP chiller, 1 Vortec + 3MJs, all on an AC Jr. - Born on date 8-06 Pics in gallery! + 55g FOWLR w/ macro
Bri Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Pike614
Registered Member

Yeah, sounds like it is done. Ouch. Better you realized it now though...imagine if you had moved everything into it and never looked under the sand! You need to get your money back on that tank though...!

Unread 01/24/2009, 01:44 PM   #8
Tc269
Registered Member

NO its all good, Got the tank checked out today its just a scratch that looks just like hair line crack. THANK GoD. but I have pics it looks just like a crack but only is a scratch. WHEW

Unread 01/24/2009, 02:38 PM   #9
jlinzmaier
Premium Member

Tagging along. Let me know if I can help in any way Tony!!

Glad that's only a scratch and not a crack!! When you get to that part, I've got a few recommendations for picking an appropriate ca reactor.

Jeremy

jlinzmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Pike614
Registered Member

are you set on a reactor, or have you considered 2 part dosing?

Unread 01/24/2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Tc269
Registered Member

i am pretty sure I am set on a ca reactor but the only reason behind that is every totm runs one, so I figure they must be really good. not 100% yet trying to do this slow so its not to much of a burn on my wallet at once.

Unread 01/25/2009, 11:21 AM   #12
jlinzmaier
Premium Member

In the long run a ca reactor is the most cost effective and requires the least amount of maintenance. Not to mention it provides much more stable alk and ca levels than other methods.

Jeremy

Unread 01/30/2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Tc269
Registered Member

ok got some pics off the beefed up stand and my going to be sump.

Inside corners added 2x4 and anouther header also replaced all staples with screws. Stained and sealed the inside. Also added FRP board on the bottom. Prob not the right name for it lol its some kind of laminate board.

Had to add these knobs I saw at Menards

Here's a door I added on the side so that I can get my sump in and out. Sump is a 30 gallon tank.

And the whole tank now thats it all clean.

Unread 01/31/2009, 09:57 AM   #14
msch1999
Premium Member

Looks like it is coming along good. I like the door knobs.

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA mixed reef
msch1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2009, 10:40 PM   #15
Tc269
Registered Member

so anyone have any ideas yet? I also want to get some opinion on how deep my sand bed should be. I am planning to buy 40lbs of seaflor special grade dry arag and 40lbs of arag-alive special grade. Sound like too much or not enough? or I was going to buy 80lbs of seaflor special grade and only 20lbs of arag-alive? Which one sounds better?

Unread 02/01/2009, 01:42 AM   #16
jlinzmaier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tc269
so anyone have any ideas yet? I also want to get some opinion on how deep my sand bed should be. I am planning to buy 40lbs of seaflor special grade dry arag and 40lbs of arag-alive special grade. Sound like too much or not enough? or I was going to buy 80lbs of seaflor special grade and only 20lbs of arag-alive? Which one sounds better?
The thickness of a sand bed is an extremely controversial topic. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I'm adament that a DSB is bad. I'm sure that like ten people will chime in and say they've always had a DSB with no problems, but IMO a shallow sand bed of 1-2 inches is ideal. It's deep enough to provide plenty of surface area for bacterial colonization but not too deep that the sand sifting critters won't stir it "ALL" up and prevent any nutrients or toxic gases from building up in deeper layers.

Don't waste money on the arag-alive. It's more expensive becuase of the bacterial colonization is contains. I tell you what, order the seaflor special grade and I'll come over and dose 3 drops of zeobak into your tank and it'll instantly contain as much bacteria as the arag-alive says it has. And, that will be cultured bacteria that are specificaly isolated and grown for denitrification.

To determine how much sand you need, go to this site and enter your tank dimensions and desired sand depth and it will calculate how many pounds of sand you will likely need.
http://reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php

Jeremy

Unread 02/01/2009, 02:12 AM   #17
Tc269
Registered Member

is this going to be like starting a tank all over again? I mean will it have to cycle and not have any fish in it and everything or will the live rock and bio balls and water from my old tank carry over enough bacteria that it wont be like that?

Unread 02/01/2009, 02:20 AM   #18
Tc269
Registered Member

oh and thanks ill take you up on adding some of the zeobak that will save allot of money, that arag-alive is a pretty penny more. I was pretty decided that i wanted a two inch layer. The bio balls are not going to stay in the new tank just for about a month or so, so things can get stable.

Unread 02/01/2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Hella
Registered Member

Looking real nice. Love the side door.

Click the red house for my 125 build thread.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon reef Solaris H4, 2x2 frag tank 125 gallon fuge/sump, Lifereef VS3-60 skimmer GEO Kalk reactor.
Hella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 10:26 AM   #20
chachijoe75
Registered Member

Tagging along...

Check out my new build by clicking in the little red house!

Current Tank Info: 120gal Mixed Reef - Tek 8x54 T5 lighting, Hurricone CAT-2 External Skimmer. ADS CaRx. All controlled by Profilux Plus II Controller
chachijoe75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2009, 11:05 AM   #21
jlinzmaier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tc269
is this going to be like starting a tank all over again? I mean will it have to cycle and not have any fish in it and everything or will the live rock and bio balls and water from my old tank carry over enough bacteria that it wont be like that?
Tank definately needs to cycle a bit. If your transferring over LR, water, and bioballs from your other tank it will certainly establish the biological filtration faster, but it will definately need some time before anything live can go in.

When you take the bioballs from your current tank, don't take too many at one time. Removing too much too fast could cause an ammonia spike.

Oh and another thing. When you start cycling the new tank don't waste your money on an ammonia or nitrite kit. I bought brand new kits for when I cycle my new tank. I'd be happy to let you use them.

Jeremy

Unread 02/01/2009, 02:43 PM   #22
Tc269
Registered Member

Thank for everyone who is tagging along and for those throwing ideas and concerns in hard to catch all the details in something this complicated. And jermey thanks for the offer of testing kits but I still have some from when I last set up my tank. some strips for quick test and some tetration for accurate ones.

Unread 02/01/2009, 04:50 PM   #23
DABruecker
Registered Member

Looking good. Keep up the great work!

DABruecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2009, 02:03 PM   #24
Tc269
Registered Member

And the sump is done!!! all except the drying, chamber 1 is 15x12x9 (LxWxH) this is for my reef octopus extreme 200 or atleast for when people get them back in stock!! Chamber 2 is 11x12x9 this will be my refugium, with refugium mud a little live rock and some cheato and a 3 inch layer of crushed coral from my old tank so i can boost some of my old bacteria cycle in my new tank. Chamber 3 is only 4x12 this little spot holds some egg crate up this will be for my chemipure and phos pad also to stop large particles from the fuge from being able to get into my pump. and last will be the spot for my pump rio 2500 for right now but open to other ideas. just had this around and it puts out 780 gallons so figured that would be about right after all the head lost and such. Please let me know if something doesnt sound right!! Like running a refugium and phos pad? I have never ran a refugium before but want to try it out on this tank. THANKS

Tony

Unread 02/04/2009, 02:07 PM   #25
Tc269
Registered Member

oh that means I am looking for some fuge lights also if anyone has a set lying around that they want to sell. hoping for something around 12" long and somewhere is the 20-30 watt power range. but open to other ideas if you have stuff to sell.