Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

My 65 gallon build log

Just getting this tank up and running, so I thought it would be a good time to start the thread.

A little background.
My last tank was a 180 with a 90 gallon prop tank 40 gallon refugium and 70 gallon sump. I was spending all my time just keeping this thing topped off. It was time for something a little less intense.

I tore down the 180, and sold off a lot of stuff.
We moved into a different house a few months back, and were very pressed for room for a tank.

After measuring, it was decided that I coupld go no more than 3ft. So the natural choice was a standard 65 gallon tank. 36"18"x24".

I spent about 2 months planning, measuring, and preassembling this tank and its support systems, before any reall work was done. Once I had most of the peices and an idea for where things needed to be, I started by drill the tank.

Unread 02/09/2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Here you can see I have begun mocking up the plumbing.

Then I was able to locate the location for the closed loop intake.
I went with Sch 80 plumbing for the clean proffesional look I feel it gives. All the valves are true union which will make things a bit easier in the long run.

The tape around the bottom of the tank is to represent the sand bed. I had decided early one that I would run a DSB. With the limited space for a sump, I knew I would not have much ( turned out any) room for a refugium/algae filter.

I also knew that I wanted to have as much surface area of the dsb exposed as possible. SO, with that in mind, I took some 4" pvc, cut holes in it and cut it into 6" sections.

This would give my liverock a sturdy platform off the sand bed.

Unread 02/09/2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Here you can see the plumbing finished, and the back of the tank painted. Also, notice I painted the housing of the closed loop pump to better blend in with the plumbing.

For an overflow box, I went with the "Calfo" design, which I have been using for several years now. I used black acrylic, and bent the piece with a bender, so the front and bottom are one piece.

The lack of a seem along the bottom really helps the box blend in with the back of the tank.

Unread 02/09/2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Inside the sump I made a hinged panel to be my 'control center'.

As you can see, I have 2 american DJ Control panels mounted.

Also, my ph meter, and soon my temp meter will be on this panel as well.

Unread 02/09/2009, 06:13 PM   #5
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

My first attempt at aquascaping the tank came up with this.

Unread 02/09/2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Corndork2
Registered Member

lookin good man. Can you post some more pics of your overflow and drain plumbing? Im building a 58g and am trying to figure out how Im going to design my overflow. Id like to try what you did, so some extra pictures would really help me out. Thanks!

Corndork2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

What else do you need to see? The drains are the 2 pipes starting at the top of the tank and going down into the left side of the sump.

Unread 02/09/2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Equipment infomation.

Return pump. Mag 5
Closed Loop pump Panworld 100Pxx-MD40x
Closed loop wavemaker 1" SQWD

Lighting. After years of talking about it, I finally took the plunge to T5 lighting. My past reefs had all been lit with 400 watt XM 20k.

Currently I have 4 36" T5 bulbs, overdriven by and Ice Cap 660. All have icecap reflectors.
I plan to add 3 more bulbs on another 660 very soon.

I had origonally set the sump up with a middle refurium section. The first section was for a skimmer, which initally I had an Aqua C Remora Pro with the mag pump. I soon began shopping around for a better skimmer, and ended up with a MSX 200.

In going with this skimmer I had to eliminate the refugium area. I do not feel this should be a problem, as this skimmer is more than up to the task of this tank.

Unread 02/09/2009, 07:41 PM   #9
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

I ended up re aquascaping the tank, and came to a much better (imo) structure. The returns are temporary, I plan to replace them with locline.

It is all epoxied togehter as well.

Unread 02/09/2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Mike, this is the inside of the overflow box,

Unread 02/09/2009, 07:42 PM   #11
spleify
Registered Member

Looks really cool man!! I can't wait to see this thing stocked.

Keep the updates coming.

Spleify

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2009, 07:56 PM   #12
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Thanks.

I am looking forward to stocking as well. I have a few things in waiting right now.

In going with the extra oversized skimmer, my plan has been to stock fairly heavy, and do a lot of feeding, both fish and coral feeding.

Unread 02/10/2009, 04:00 PM   #13
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Details on liverock and sand.

Liverock consists of 17lbs of fiji shelf rock(base)
20 lbs of Fiji Bottlebrush
3 lbs of Marshell Island

All live rock has been in other tanks for months to years. All was washed clean with saltwater, then dipped for 1 hour in flatworm exit.

Sand 120lbs of Tropic Eden Aragasnow

So far I have added,
3 peppermint shrimp
3 cerith snails
3 astrea snails
3 blue leg hermits
2 emerald crabs
1 scarlet crab

All are doing well, except 2 peppermint shrimp died a few days later.

Water is testing out pretty good. Very minimal cycle.

I am using instant ocean salt, and it actually mixed out with high mag and high alk. Calcium was low.

Skimmer is starting to break in.

Unread 02/10/2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Next up, is figuring out what reactor (calcium or kalk stirrer) to get, and where to put it.

I am kind of leaning towards a kalk reactor, but I may end up with the calcium reactor.

Anyone care to share theirs experinces, or suggestions on either?

Unread 02/10/2009, 06:14 PM   #15
mc-cro
(macro)

looking good. love the calfo overflow box, although if its not set up correctly it can be noisy. I am sure you have planned that out, as you said, you have been running them for years.

One thing I dont understand, is why you have what looks to be your main return coming in at almost the bottom of the back wall? can you explain the theory behind that one a little bit

Current Tank Info: 60x26x24 AGE 3 sided starphire
mc-cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

I had the return coming in low just to help with flow in the lower portions of the tank.

It has a clear true union check valve, which I can see and maintain with ease.

Unread 02/10/2009, 07:13 PM   #17
Arati
Registered Member

lookin good!

Current Tank Info: 150 ish gallons of Reef
Arati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2009, 08:05 PM   #18
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Thanks!

Unread 02/10/2009, 10:05 PM   #19
nebraskareef
MFCEO

Is the filter floss in place to prefilter the water for the scwd?

(nice setup, btw)

Unread 02/10/2009, 11:19 PM   #20
MSX-Jeff
Registered Member

Looking good Jeremy!!

For that size tank, I think you should be able to maintain calc/alk with just the kalk reactor. You might need to do occasional alk boosting down the road when the SPS really start to grow in...but for know, IIWM, I would just do kalk. I mean, really, where are you going to fit a CO2 bottle in that stand

MSX-Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2009, 11:42 PM   #21
Eel-byte
Premium Member

Nice looking build. Is your ph really 9.67?

Eel-byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2009, 07:48 AM   #22
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

The filter floss is there to stop microbubbles from the skimmer as it is still breaking in.

The sqwd is fed by the closed loop pump. There is a large strainer on it, but it is not 'prefiltered'.

I am leaning towards a kalk stirrer. The CO2 tank was a concern, as is the RO storage container for the kalk. The tank sits at the end of my couch, I had thought about placing the co2 tank on the other end!

No, my ph is not 9.67.

My moniter seems to get a surge every so often, it will read fine, but then it jumps a full point or better, then it goes right back to normal. I tried calling the manufacture, but was not able to talk to anyone. I have calibrated it twice. It is running with the ac adapter, so I do not know if that is part of it. I am going to try and get ahold of them today.

Unread 02/11/2009, 10:07 AM   #23
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Just spoke with the guys at American Merine USA (pinpoint makers).

They said the problem is with the ac adapter, that it is recieving interfernce from another electrical device.

Unread 02/11/2009, 10:38 AM   #24
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

I am pretty sure I am going with a kalk reactor. Most likely Geo's.

I am looking around at auto top offs now to feed the top off water to the reactor.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Unread 02/11/2009, 11:00 AM   #25
MSX-Jeff
Registered Member

The Tunze Osmolater is supposed to be the best!

MSX-Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote