Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Treg
Premium Member

Thumbs up Canon D10 for Underwater

Hi All.

I did a search in here and didnt find any threads on the Canon D10 so I thought I would post one.

My wife and I took another trip down to the keys for an anniversary recently and I picked up this Canon D10 to take with us.

I love this little camera. Very easy to use, both above and below the surface. I have went through several disposable underwater cameras on previous trips to only have a few good shots. This camera has an underwater setting that made for some pretty decent shots after some minor editing. Its not a professional underwater camera by any means but then again, it costs less then most underwater housings for a decent camera.

Videos are pretty smooth and it was pretty easy to toggle from still picture to video in the water.

It is just a tad bit bulky to slip in the pocket as a walk around point and shoot but still managable. Wasnt a huge deal to me.

Battery life was a little shorter then I would have liked. For my next trip, I will be buying an extra battery.

For $329, it was everything I wanted it to be...

Treg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 01:22 PM   #2
TitusvileSurfer
Registered Member

Those looks like some great underwater memories!

Unread 07/27/2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Recty
Registered Member

Not bad at all. How deep can that camera go? I thought about buying a real camera instead of the disposables for the next time I go to Hawaii, but that will probably be next winter so there might be something better out by then.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 11:29 PM   #4
AquaAgua
Registered Member

nice

Nice. The colours are really bright, how deep were you when you took those pics. Or does it have a strong flash?

Unread 07/27/2009, 11:30 PM   #5
AquaAgua
Registered Member

I forgot how much I liked diving the keys til I saw those shots.

Unread 07/30/2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Treg
Premium Member

We were only snorkeling. The water was anywhere from about 4' deep to maybe 15'. Sunlight was pretty bright the days we were out. Vis wasnt awesome but wasnt too bad really.

Camera goes to 10 meters.

I used the auto adjustments in Adobe elements, that helped to brighten up the images too. Some mayabe a little too much.

I didnt have much time to spare for editing these... Auto levels, cropped a few, save for net... Next.

I mostly just wanted to share for the camera, I see the question asked a lot on what camera or which disposable to buy for underwater. All of us being in the reef hobby too, I think its a pretty good $300 investment. Having the video, an aquarium setting and doing underwater...

You can see a few more on my photobucket.

Unread 07/31/2009, 08:55 AM   #7
hollback
Team RC Member

Nice shots Treg! I bet you two had a blast!

Μολὼν λαβέ
"Dressed up like plankton, sucked in by baleen."

Current Tank Info: 40,000 Tablespoons
hollback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Treg
Premium Member

Thanks Jason!

We always have a blast there but this was our best trip down for sure.