Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2009, 11:22 AM   #1
elekamit
Registered Member

A net (roof) for my tank :) please help

Hi guys, my new tank is a rimless one, and I want to put wrasses in it, I'm afraid they'll jump so I remembered I saw here a few people that netted their tanks and it looked pretty professional. Can anyone give me a link to those?, and maybe tell me which net to use so it wouldn't block the lighting?

Thanks!

elekamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2009, 12:16 PM   #2
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

I'm going to try to cover mine tonight. I have a rim on mine, but I'm going to use bridal veil stuff and small pieces of wood fashioned into a cover. I will be painting the wood with krylon fusion to blend in a bit more.

Not sure what you could use on a rimless though....

GL,

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
flamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2009, 01:45 PM   #3
mapleredta
Reef addict

Check out this write up on my local reef club. I can pm you the link if this one gets taken down.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...light+friendly

mapleredta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2009, 01:58 PM   #4
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

I like the looks of that. I am going to have to give that a try too. could you upload some pics on here too? I can't view them over on that other board.

thanks,

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
Unread 09/14/2009, 02:09 PM   #5
mapleredta
Reef addict

Uploading them now.

Unread 09/14/2009, 02:13 PM   #6
mapleredta
Reef addict

Unread 09/14/2009, 03:34 PM   #7
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

Just went and bought all the stuff I need at lowes. 35 bucks and I will have a sweet top. Plus, I will have all the netting I could ever need, and may redo one of my window screens as well, LOL.

Unread 09/14/2009, 03:37 PM   #8
elekamit
Registered Member

Well, as I am from ISRAEL. I can't seem to find this stuff anywhere!!!!

elekamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2009, 03:53 PM   #9
mapleredta
Reef addict

Ouch..... Good luck with that.

Unread 09/14/2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Cuby2k
Cuby2k

Cool work, gives me some ideas.

Current Tank Info: 180 display, 100 gal DIY fuge/sump, DIY skimmer.
Cuby2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Mrbeachbum2
Registered Member

Flamron, did you just go with pond netting or screen door netting?

Mrbeachbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2009, 10:01 PM   #12
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

I used wildlife netting from Lowes. It has about 3/8" holes, so what I did was put two pieces on. One straight up and down and one at a 45 degree angle to make the holes smaller, as the wrasse I'm getting is fairly small.

I think window screening would block too much light. I put just one side on and I couldn't tell the difference visually. I'm sure there is some light being blocked, but not enough to be noticeable.

I just finished mine actually. They turned out very good, IMO. I bought the 72" door kit from lowes for 16.99, an extra set of corners for 1.89, and the "deer netting" was 12.87. I could have spent less on the netting, as they had a 14'x14' piece, but the one I bought was 7'x100'. Plenty if I ever need to give some away or do it over again.

I'd rate this as a 2 out of 5 on the difficulty scale. My hacksaw apparently wasn't meant to cut the metal pieces, so I had some issues there.

I will try to get some pics up tomorrow or the next day.

Unread 09/15/2009, 06:52 AM   #13
coralnut99
Registered Member

The fruit tree netting works pretty well. I can tell you from firsthand experience that it isn't foolproof. The material just has a lot of give to it. So if a fish hits the openings just right it can "squirt" through even in double or triple layer applications. At one point someone cam across netting used to cover ponds that had a 1/4" mesh. That would be perfect. By the way, both types of netting ar UV resistant and should hold up for years under MH or T5. Window screen material blocks way too much light, and will have a definite shading effect on your tank.

Current Tank Info: way too much to list, and still adding more!
coralnut99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2009, 08:12 AM   #14
mapleredta
Reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by coralnut99
The fruit tree netting works pretty well. I can tell you from firsthand experience that it isn't foolproof. The material just has a lot of give to it. So if a fish hits the openings just right it can "squirt" through even in double or triple layer applications. At one point someone cam across netting used to cover ponds that had a 1/4" mesh. That would be perfect. By the way, both types of netting ar UV resistant and should hold up for years under MH or T5. Window screen material blocks way too much light, and will have a definite shading effect on your tank.
No, it's definitely not a full guarantee but it sure cuts down the chance of it happening.

Unread 09/15/2009, 08:14 AM   #15
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

I would rather have something than risk losing a 45 dollar fish....

Unread 09/15/2009, 08:25 AM   #16
coralnut99
Registered Member

I couldn't agree more that it's better than nothing. But for me it was tough seeing a male anthias on the floor that I'd had for three years. I was just pointing out that if you're just starting the evaluation/planning process, netting with a 1/4" mesh has a better success rate for the intended purpose.

Current Tank Info: way too much to list, and still adding more!
coralnut99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2009, 08:28 AM   #17
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

By criscrossing two sheets, I've cut the size of the holes down to probably less than 1/4".

It looks fairly good too.

Unread 09/20/2009, 06:33 PM   #18
DAKOOP
Registered Member

Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in order for tomorrow.

Any ideas on keeping the jumpers out of the overflows too? Maybe a weighted piece of the net hanging from the framed part into the overflow??

DAKOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2009, 09:10 PM   #19
james3370
Registered Member

when i get around to doing another tank, i plan to just take a piece of 1/4" acrylic the inside dimension of the tank. then cut the center out leaving a 2" frame (just like a picture frame). then drill 1/16" holes 1/4" apart & 1/4" from inside edge all the way around. then take UV resistant fishing line & "lace" the holes side to side over/under like a tennis racket. you can also space the holes closer if 1/4" hole is too big

to the original poster, i think this would be a viable option if you are having trouble finding the bird netting & alum frame

you can make small "tabs" to hang it from the edge of the rimless tank. it would also be easy enough to re-lace as needed.

the main reason i like this way vs. the alum frame & bird netting is i plan to do my returns over the top, soi it is easier to make cutouts in the acrylic frame to accomodate these & lace around these openings.....much harder to do that w/ the alum frame

there's no place like 127.0.0.1

It's a shame that stupidity isn't painful....

Current Tank Info: currently tankless....but planning an AIO
james3370 is offline   Reply With Quote