Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2004, 11:42 AM   #1
YodaHart
Moved On

What is ORCA and How to Join

What is ORCA?

ORCA is a non-profit organization of aquarists dedicated to the care and conservation of marine life kept in reef aquariums. Our primary objective is to educate other area reef keepers on the requirements of caring for reef inverts, fish and coral propagation.

ORCA believes that in order for this hobby to continue and flourish, dedicated hobbyists must take a more active roll in their community to educate new aquarists on the less destructive methods of cycling tanks, fish cohabitation, beginner and advanced coral requirements.

With many different methods of reef setup and care available from books, Internet, and local fish stores it can create even more frustration for the hobbyist looking for answers. We believe we can help the new hobbyist and advanced aquarist in new methods of caring for these delicate and beautiful creatures.

As saltwater aquariums have gained in popularity, so has research into how equipment used can best emulate natural reef settings, provide better quality water, and give the hobbyist more control over every aspect of their tank. This has resulted in a large niche market of equipment. Deciding on which to purchase can sometimes overwhelm newer hobbyists. This is an area where our advanced hobbyist members will be able to provide advice.

In summary, the main goals of ORCA are to:

*Educate the reef aquarist

*Promote better standards for LFS

*Explain how to care for and propagate coral

*Disseminate information from books, Internet

*Provide a network of knowledgeable reef keepers

*Supply a source of propagated corals for other members

We have regular meetings on the last Saturday of each month. Non-members are always invited and encouraged to attend our meetings. More information for each meeting can be found on the ORCA site under the "Meeting Schedule" section.

ORCA Meeting Schedule

How Do I Join?

Becoming a member of ORCA is a quick and easy process. You only have to print the membership form, fill it out and mail it as directed on the application or bring it to a meeting and give it to a club officer. The following meeting you will receive a membership card and are instantle eligible for all of the member benefits.

More detailed club information can be found at our main website:

http://www.o-r-c-a.com

If any members would like to add comments or something I missed please feel free.

If there are any questions regarding our club procedures or details please post them here.

YodaHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2006, 11:45 AM   #2
YodaHart
Moved On

Just wanted to let everyone know that our club forum is up and running on the ORCA page, http://www.o-r-c-a.com

The direct link to the forum is http://www.o-r-c-a.com/modules.php?n...ums&file=index

We will still keep this forum open on Reef Central, but I would recommend everyone to start posting on the new forum. It will give us much better organization and control.

If you are an ORCA member, you get special privileges on the forum, too.

YodaHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2007, 09:35 AM   #3
gwrench
Registered Member

special privileges

What might these privileges be??
Just curious.
George

How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book.
(Henry David Thoreau 1817 - 1862)

Current Tank Info: 120 Reef System/55g Anemone System/55g Frag System
gwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2007, 02:40 PM   #4
JUICE!
Registered Member.

You know....if our ORCA forums were this active it would open the door to a number of possibilities. One being the ability to generate club funds in the forum of advertisement banner sales and things of that nature. funds that could be used to pay for bigger and better activities that could potentially be absolutely free for members. I have seen this in practice in some other out of state clubs I have been involved in.

Imagine acrylic workshops that ORCA could foot the bill for...that would work out to free(or very very cheap) sumps, skimmers, quarantine tanks, reactors, etc...for members

Imagine giant frag swaps where members who brought frags could take home 90-100% (minus sales tax)

Imagine very well known guest speakers...such as the ones we had at SRC...only at our regular meetings.

Imagine raffle items like the ones at SRC at our regular meetings.

Imagine sponsors listing their incoming shipments, special discounts, rare livestock weekly.

Granted.....all of these things aren't necessarily things that would happen over night....but definitely possible over time.

Food for thought.....

~D

JUICE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2007, 03:29 PM   #5
chrismich
Registered Member

membership info

i tried to click on your link to print out the membership form, but it did not work. Is there somewhere on the actual ORCA site that I can go to to print this out?

chrismich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2007, 08:48 AM   #6
WingnutSr
Registered Member

Click on the ORCA website link. Then go to the club info page. There you will find what you are looking for.

Current Tank Info: 125 AGA Mixed Reef, 55 AGA sump/fuge. 160 lbs LR, Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC, Rio 2100, Seio M1500. Tunze DOC 9010 skimmer. 6 X 96watts PC lighting.

Last edited by WingnutSr; 10/13/2007 at 08:55 AM.
WingnutSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 08:51 PM   #7
solutions
Registered Member

Here is the application that you can bring with you to the meeting.
http://www.o-r-c-a.com/content/2009_...pplication.pdf

SCRC supporting member
solutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2013, 08:55 PM   #8
zab34
Registered Member

So I'm looking to become a member of orca finally. I hear this month is the frag auction? Is there anyway I can I submit frags and bring my paperwork with me to the meeting or is there another way to submit the application.

zab34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2013, 05:47 PM   #9
raidendex
Registered Member

http://www.o-r-c-a.com/ you should be able to register and pay online.

Current Tank Info: 180g Discus Planted
raidendex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2013, 05:22 PM   #10
zab34
Registered Member

When's the deadline to submit application? And deadline for frag submission?

zab34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2013, 01:22 PM   #11
ccampo
ORCA Web*****

You can join ORCA club online by filling out this form:
http://www.o-r-c-a.com/forum/orca_ma_signup.php

The frag auction to submit frags is open and it usually closes on Friday night before the event, this month is on Saturday April 27th.

Go to this page for more information about the event:
http://www.o-r-c-a.com/forum/orca_fa_upload.php?faid=10

210g tank 72x24x29, sump with Refuge, Mixed fish and corals reef tank

Current Tank Info: 210g SW mixed reef, 30g SW
ccampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 07:51 PM   #12
rwpollack
Registered Member

It seems as though the image verification program during sign up isn't working. Is it still required to register to become a member?

rwpollack is offline   Reply With Quote