Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/21/2004, 03:59 PM   #1
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Check Out My Electrical Panel; Step by Step Pics....

I wanted to share my electrial system with everyone. Maybe it will you an idea or few for your future system.....

My electrical system consists of 2 dedicated 20Amp breakers. There are currently 11 outlets, 6 switches, 4 digital timers, auto top-off system, temp controller, Lunar-Cubes dimmer, and Tunze Streams Multicontroller. Here goes the pics of how the panel was constructed......

First, a 1/2" piece of plywood was cut and 12 surface mount junction boxes were mounted.

Last edited by LunarCubes; 05/21/2004 at 04:53 PM.
LunarCubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2004, 04:13 PM   #2
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Next the ground wires wer run throughout the junction boxes. Note that the last box on the bottom right doesn't receive any grounds or neutrals since it will house the relay for the auto top-off system.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:14 PM   #3
LunarCubes
Registered Member

The neutrals were then run to all boxes except the realy box.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:17 PM   #4
LunarCubes
Registered Member

The outlets were then added and the neutral and grounds were connected. Note that the 2 rows on the left are 1 circuit and the 2 rows to the right are on another circuit. Each has its own GFCI for protection which all of the standard outlets are daisy-changed through.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:22 PM   #5
LunarCubes
Registered Member

The Hot wires were run and then the outlets were screwed in. The covers were also added. Note the bundle of wires to the left go to the source and the bundle of hot wires to the right go to the switch and timer panel.

Here is a breakdown of how the outlets are wired... I will name them by number in this format...

- 1 & 2 are always on
- 5 goes to timer #1
- 6 goes to timer #2
- 9 goes to timer #3
- 10 goes to timer #4

- 3 is always on for the temp controller
- 4 goes to switches #1 & 2
- 7 goes to switches #3 & 4
- 8 goes to switches #5 & 6
- 11 is for the auto top-off system
- 12 houses the relay

Last edited by LunarCubes; 05/21/2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05/21/2004, 04:23 PM   #6
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Here is a close-up of the relay.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:26 PM   #7
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Next junction boxes for the digital timers and the switches were mounted and wires were run through them.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:28 PM   #8
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Here is another picture of the junction boxes. You can see the electrical panel mounted in the stand in the background.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:29 PM   #9
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Here you can see the electrical panel mounted and the supply line come in that was run through the attic from the breaker box.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:30 PM   #10
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Although its side-ways, you can see where the conduit comes down through the wall and runs to the panel.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:36 PM   #11
LunarCubes
Registered Member

The digital timers were then added along with the switches. Each of the 2 switches to the right actually has 3 switches built in to it for a total of 6 seperate switches in a dual junction box, which saves space. The first timer is for the dual MH, the second is for the single MH, the third is for the PC, and the forth is for the moons and I may add the fuge light to it if I dont run it 24/7. The reason I didnt put all 3 MH on one timer is the fact the timer couldn't handle that much of a load.

Old 05/21/2004, 04:41 PM   #12
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Here you can see the panel all finished and mounted. The Blue boxes to the right are the drivers for the Tunze Streams. The left outlet next to the relay box is unique. The top socket is always on (the black AC adapter plugged into it powers the auto top-off system) and the bottom socket is switched on and off by the auto top-off system (the white AC adapter plugged into it powers the solenoid valve on the RO/DI system)

Old 05/21/2004, 04:47 PM   #13
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Here are the controllers mounted to the door. The grey controller to the left is the dual stage temp controller which is in charge of the chiller and heater. The big black controller to the right is the Tunze Stream controller. The white controller underneath the Tunze is my auto top-off system controller which I created. It has 3 LEDs which indicate its status; green = on, red = off, blue = system active and adding water. The switch allows the system to be turned off easily when doing water changes. The last controller which is inbetween the temp and Tunze is the Lunar-Cubes dimmer which allows the moon lights to be dimmed at the touch of a button.

Old 05/21/2004, 05:04 PM   #14
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Thanks for looking and if you have any questions about it, please feel free to post them.....

- Jeremy

Old 05/21/2004, 05:08 PM   #15
gonefishin
Registered Member

Where does that one lose wire in the third picture go? J/K nice job man.

gonefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2004, 08:49 PM   #16
Navymedic
Registered Member

Good Job bro, Come over and do my stand next

Navymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2004, 09:23 PM   #17
5y5tem 0verload
Registered Member

Wouldn't happen to have a wiring schematic of your panel would you?

I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
5y5tem 0verload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2004, 09:52 PM   #18
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback Sorry, I dont have a schematic of the wiring. Well, I guess I do but its in my head hehe. If you really want one I could probably draw it out for you when I get a chance....

- Jeremy

Old 05/21/2004, 10:10 PM   #19
Bene'
Registered Member

LunarCubes,

I have a few questions.

1) Why did you connect the boxes with the punch holes instead of using conduit? Why orient the openings at the top of the boxes and not the bottom side instead? That panel is located under a tank isn't it?

2) Is that 2 or 3 dedicated circuits coming through the wall to feed the array? Those 20 amp each?

3) With the several open outlets what's up with the pair of 3-way plugs in the second row from the top?

Wish I had the time and cash to put something like that together. It's so clean and complete I'm almost drooling. Having the electricians wire me up 7 20 amp dedicated circuits in my basement pales next to your array.

Current Tank Info: 1-40 gallon Freshwater Community Tank, 3-10 gallon Experiment/Holding Tanks, 1- 75 gallon Reef Tank, and over 350 gallons of Rubbermaid
Bene' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2004, 10:27 PM   #20
markw78
Registered Member

Why are only 2 of them GFIs?

markw78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2004, 10:32 PM   #21
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Bene'

1) I didnt use conduit cause I didnt feel it was necessary inbetween the boxes but I did use it comming into the panel. I would just be more of a hassle and looked gordy with conduit running throughout the panel. I would have also had to space the boxes out more to accomodate conduit. I used the openings at the top rather then the bottom cause the main wires comming in were comming from the top. Its not a big deal and water is not going to leak in there unless the tank starts to leak from the bottom and soak through the top of the stand which would cause a whole bunch of other problems. I didnt use the sides cause the openings I used werent the big circle punchouts, rather the smaller rectangular ones located only at the top.

2) There are 2 dedicated 20A circuits comming in. They each get spliced at the junction box seperate from the panel. The one with flex conduit comming in.

3) hehe. You would think that with all those outlets I wouldnt need a 3-plug, but I did. The reason is the top one is the 2 Tunze Streams and the bottom is the skimmer (which has 2 sedra pumps). On the 3 switched outlets I have, I removed the tab which allows the top socket and the bottom socket to operate independantly. This allowed me to use 3 dual outlets as 6 single outlets. Do you follow? I needed to plug 2 Tunze Streams into one switched outlet instead of having each Stream on its own switch. Same goes for the skimmer. If I didnt put the streams or skimmer on a switched outlet, I could have just plugged em into 1 of the 3 unswitched outlets on the panel (which are the open ones you are referring to).

- Jeremy

Old 05/21/2004, 10:37 PM   #22
LunarCubes
Registered Member

Mark,
I only needed 2 GFCIs, one for each circuit. They are the first outlet on each circuit and all of the other standard outlets are daisy changed through them so all of the outlets are protected by the GFCIs. On the back of the GFCI there are 2 sets of terminals; one is LINE and the other is LOAD. LINE is where the main line comming in connects to. Any standard outlets or switches or whatever is wired to the LOAD terminal is then protected by the GFCI. This saves a lot of money considering GFCIs cost around $10 each and standard outlets cost around .40 cents each.

- Jeremy

Old 05/21/2004, 11:00 PM   #23
LunarCubes
Registered Member

This pic will tell you exactly what each outlet does or is connected to...

- Jeremy

Old 05/22/2004, 12:03 AM   #24
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

nice job man. i guess if i sat down and actually knew somethign about wireing i could do it pretty easy!

nice clean set up man!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Lunchbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/24/2004, 04:36 PM   #25
LunarCubes
Registered Member

thanks lunchbucket....

- Jeremy