Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/02/2005, 09:22 AM   #1
stugray
Premium Member

Off Topic - My other hobby

Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of where some of your tax dollars go:

See the following websites about the upcoming launch of the Deep Impact Spacecraft from Cape Canaveral.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/

It should (hopefully ) make for some good 4th of July fireworks.

Stu

stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Scuba Oz
Registered Member

interesting

Current Tank Info: 12g nano, 37g,175g,25g,54g
Scuba Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2005, 12:40 PM   #3
stugray
Premium Member

Bump...

- Odd that 'PS2 vs Xbox' got more response than a NASA mission to whack a comet.... Perhaps I should have made the title more descriptive.

NASA spends millions for Education & Public Outreach to get their efforts made public. They need the support from the public or the NASA budget suffers. I was just trying to get some free press ( and hopefully some interest )

Sad that PS & XBOX posts get more response than cool science.
( I not putting down the xbox post, I posted to it myself.. )

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
Old 01/03/2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Generic
Premium Member

Oh yea, definitly will be watching that! Its been 1 year since my GF and I went DMNS to watch the JPL Feed of Spirit arriving on Mars. That was exciting!

I built this a few weeks later
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Murdock

Generic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Skatereef
Registered Member

I also think it is cool. I hope I get to see that on tv.Ive also built the space leggos.Dont know where it went.My other intrest is skateboarding.Not much.

Current Tank Info: 75 soft coral reef(zoos,shrooms,leathers,polyps of all sorts) 4X110 VHO
Skatereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Mr.Lizard
Registered Member

Another of my expensive hobbies/interests! I have a Celestron 4" refractor (900mm) When I'm not using it, it's stored in my music room away from the saltwater tanks....with the scuba gear....far from the oil and such of the Harley and the IROC Camaro.... LOL Put me on your buddy list and keep me posted on anything of interest going on in space! Or refer me to Space Central....?(currently out of skateboards- been there, done that, too!)

Old 01/05/2005, 01:55 PM   #7
derrikd
Registered Member

cool,

derrikd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Neptune270
Registered Member

GO Cubbies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cubs fan in colorado!!!

Neptune270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Androdicus
Registered Member

I find it very exciting. Although right now I’ve been waiting for something that’ll take place next week.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ns_041224.html

Androdicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2005, 08:04 PM   #10
stugray
Premium Member

Wish us luck ( the Deep Impact Program ).

I am helping with spacecraft final closeouts tonight, we are stacked on the Launch Vehicle and they are installing the fairing tomorrow.
I'll post some pics when I get back if I get a chance.

This will be the last time I'll see the hardware that I have spent the last three years building.....

Launch at around 13:00 EST on the 12th.

Stu

Well, We KNOW GOD exists, but for US to exist without a GOD is preposterous….Umm wait a minute…. Sounds a bit circular to me…

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. display w/80 gal mud/caulerpa sump. Basement sump w/ LED Grow Light,Gravity fed Reeflo200 skimmer w/ ORCA Recirc, DIY calc reactor & kalk stirrer. Inline plumbed 75 Gal frag/settling tank.
Old 01/06/2005, 10:01 PM   #11
justmiles
Registered Member

Make sure to grab all of the RBF (Remove before flight) flags.
My name is on the disk

Current Tank Info: None at this time :(
justmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2005, 09:01 AM   #12
Mr.Lizard
Registered Member

I use an RBF on my Harley's fork lock to keep myself reminded....

Old 01/08/2005, 01:40 PM   #13
stugray
Premium Member

Here is a picture of the Deep Impact spcaecraft in the Boeing Delta II fairing. Only 1/2 of the fairing has been installed so far.

Old 01/08/2005, 03:41 PM   #14
wanecek
Registered Member

Very Cool! I hope all goes well with your launch and misson afterward. Must be hard to see it go after working on it for the past 3 years?

Thanks,
Michael

wanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2005, 04:40 PM   #15
FishnWishn
Premium Member

Hey Stu,
Is this the rocket I've been hearing about that is supposed to collide with an asteroid? It is actually a comet that it is going to interact with. Huh! Uncle Sam's version of Asteroids video game (sorry had to throw that in with the Xbox remarks ). That is really cool though. Do you know if the webcast that they are advertising is going to cover the launch and mission? I am trying to figure out how to subscribe to the webcast. It sure would be something to watch. Don't get too used to that FL. weather. Good luck with the launch! And run like hell when you light that fuse.

FishnWishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2005, 08:01 PM   #16
stugray
Premium Member

FishnWishn,

Yes half of the spacecraft will collide with a comet while the other half watches from a safe distance.

wanecek, Yes it will be hard to see it go, but a HUGE weight will be lifted from my shoulders once it is out of here.

The launch coverage is best from www.spaceflightnow.com @ http://www.spaceflightnow.com/delta/d311/status.html

Or you can see live video coverage with countdown clock at http://countdown.ksc.nasa.gov/elv/
One of the four screenshots will show me on launch day running the console ( the triple headed sun workstation ).

Old 01/08/2005, 08:35 PM   #17
FishnWishn
Premium Member

Thanks for the sites. I'll be watching. It sould be an interesting 4th of July also!

FishnWishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2005, 05:04 PM   #18
justmiles
Registered Member

Spectacular launch!!
Thats what the right stuff is all about.

Old 01/12/2005, 07:46 PM   #19
stugray
Premium Member

Yes very nice ride from Boeing.

The countdown procedure was a bit hairy and we fell behind. We got our s%&t together in time, and we went on the first attempt.

The spacecraft managed to drop into safe-mode ( not really the best way to start a mission ), but it is safe, power happy, and talking with us.

Overall, I think everything will be fine, and we will have a nice peaceful six month coast to the comet.

See the website http://www.spaceflightnow.com
for some spectacular images & video clips

Stu

Old 04/15/2005, 10:12 PM   #20
stugray
Premium Member

Deep Impact progress

Time for a bump!

I posted months ago about how I was seeing my child take it's first steps, and was glad to see her go ( she's now about 2 light-minutes away... fast learner! )

Since then, I have been assimilated into the mission operations team, and have been chained to a sun workstation....

We are only about 80 days out from impact, and thought those that responded to the original post deserved an update.

The spacecraft is working beautifully, and the only issue we have is that our best camera has a focus problem ( very similar to the hubble optics debacle... ).

We expect to still get the best closeup pictures of a comet ever, and to see a crater forming will be just a little bit cool

more updates to come ( By next Tuesday I will have taken the first pics of the comet FROM the spacecraft ... , I'm sure they'll be on the website. I'll post em when I get em )

Stu

Old 04/15/2005, 11:49 PM   #21
burkleman
Registered Member

That is awesome stu, I absolutly love this kind of stuff, just sorry I was a member on RC untill the end of Jan. I am actually taking an astronomy class at Metro this simester and plan to take more in the future. Say any chance that you might be looking for an intern any time soon, that would be one of the best internships ever, IMHO. Can't wait for more updates now that I know this thread is here.

Brandon

burkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2005, 12:38 AM   #22
justmiles
Registered Member

2 light minutes sounds so insignifigant, but its (according to Google) 35,975,094,960 meters

Thats a long way away.

I am sure it will go better than Genesis!

Old 04/16/2005, 12:03 PM   #23
stugray
Premium Member

Burkleman,

Yes Ball Aerospace accepts summer interns. Email me @ [email protected].

justmiles, dont get me started about Genesis..... I was the test lead. At least I wasnt the one personally responsible for the reentry avionics ( I was resp. for C&DH & ADCS which worked flawlessly ). However I WAS responsible for Stardust's reentry avionics. We'll see how that goes next Feb.

Stu

Old 04/16/2005, 01:02 PM   #24
burkleman
Registered Member

you've got mail.

Brandon B.

burkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/25/2005, 08:54 PM   #25
stugray
Premium Member

I took this picture today:

It only cost $310,000,000.

It is a picture of the Comet Tempel1 from the Deep Impact Spacecraft. The blob in the middle is the comet, and all the other dots are stars. It isnt very impressive, but we are still millions of miles away. It will run over our poor little impactor in 70 days. We will be getting much more impressive pics in the future.

Stay Tuned.....

Stu