Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/06/2005, 02:19 PM   #1
assassinco97
Registered Member

Question Blue Throats Reef Safe ????

http://www.acropora.net/fish.htm

According to this website blue throat triggers are reef safe, which seems to be contradictory to everything I've ever read......But now after seeing this I want to add a trigger to my reef (mainly because I've always wanted one)

Does anyone here see a problem with this ----> please give as many feedbacks as possible as I truly want to make an informed decision.

Thanks
Ed

Current Tank Info: 75 gal reef
assassinco97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2005, 02:23 PM   #2
blackwagon
Registered Member

No real experience with them but i've read on here people have had sucess with them and also nigers in a reef.

blackwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2005, 02:48 PM   #3
JENnKerry
Premium Member

No trigger is reef safe. People just get lucky with them.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gallon Reef
JENnKerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Julio
Registered Member

Blue Throat triggers are reef safe to a big extent, i know a lot of people who have them in theri reefs, the only thing they would eat would just be ornamental crabs.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef w/ 250 watt SE XM10Ks and AP1003, 12 gallon reef, 40 gallon reef
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2005, 03:15 PM   #5
floridareefs
Registered Member

reef

I had one for about 6 months, never bothered a thing. Like any saltwater fish or invert, theres always a chance when introducing it. If it does cause probs, dig er out .

floridareefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2005, 03:45 PM   #6
Wayner2
Registered Member

I have 1 in my reef, about 4 months, it has never touched a thing, It certainly has an appetite for Mysis, I can actually here is teeth chattering through the glass when he's devouring a chunk of mysis, he's a bottomless pitt.

Wayner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2005, 04:21 PM   #7
B Pierce
Registered Member

IMO blue throats are reef safe(along with sargassum and crosshatch trigggers)

These triggers feed mainly on zooplankton and do not feed on sessil inverts. You coudn't keep them with small fish, shirmps and crabs; but you could keep them with coral.

Some other people do sussesfully keep niger and pink tail triggers in a reef too.

Bill

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon reef tank
B Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2005, 05:12 PM   #8
JENnKerry
Premium Member

Quote:
You coudn't keep them with small fish, shirmps and crabs; but you could keep them with coral.
IMO, crabs, snails and shrimps help make up a reef just as much as corals do. Alot of people think when they hear the word "reef", it's mainly about corals, but really it isn't.

Unread 07/06/2005, 05:19 PM   #9
VolitanLioness
Registered Member

IMO - Reef safe is a term that is used to loose in this hobby & a term I try to stay away from.

There is a Pinktail in TOTM, check it out http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/totm/index.htm

Kaye

Unread 07/06/2005, 06:58 PM   #10
COreefer
Premium Member

They are hit or miss...I had a Sargassum that took a liking to cleaner shrimp. The fish was so tame though, when I went to catch him I didn't need a net. I just picked him up with my hand.

Current Tank Info: 45 and 20G mixed reefs...
COreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2005, 08:18 PM   #11
assassinco97
Registered Member

OK well the person from reef exotics is stating that this fish won't bother my chromis or damsels...anyone have a say about that?? thanks for all the info so far I really appreciate it.....I leaning towards getting it if you guys don't think it will touch my damsels or chromis

Ed

Unread 07/06/2005, 08:36 PM   #12
JENnKerry
Premium Member

I wouldn't trust it.

Unread 07/06/2005, 08:49 PM   #13
COreefer
Premium Member

I think your damsels and chromis will be fine...

Unread 07/06/2005, 08:57 PM   #14
assassinco97
Registered Member

Ok so we have a tie......Anyone have damsels or chromis with a blue throat in their reef. I'll defer to those that have experience, but please chime in with your thoughts too

Ed

Unread 07/06/2005, 09:14 PM   #15
COreefer
Premium Member

Right now I have one in a 55 with a hawkfish, dwarfs lions and a solar wrasse. No problems. I kept a Sargassum with green chromis, no problem. If these fish develop a taste for any live organism in the tank it will be crustacean.

Unread 07/07/2005, 12:38 AM   #16
stank
Premium Member

I have a pair of them along with chromis, false percs, 2blood shrimp, 2 skunks and a few peppermint, purple linkia starfish and plenty of cleanup crew. Never seen them look at anything other than frozen and flake food. They are the most shy fish in there. I also have some tangs and a pair of cardinals. Its a 175 bowfront by the way.

Current Tank Info: 240 rimless cube
stank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2005, 07:13 AM   #17
VolitanLioness
Registered Member

I had cardinals & chromis with my pinktail before and no problems, they are a little more aggressive than the blue throat.

Kaye

Unread 07/07/2005, 09:07 AM   #18
assassinco97
Registered Member

Just curious guys how big were your chromis and or cardinals/damsels?

Keep giving thoughts people this is really informative....Thank You

Unread 07/07/2005, 09:19 AM   #19
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I currently have a crosshatch in my reef. I have kept bluethroats and pinktails in reef and they bothered nothing. Nigers are riskier - they can become invert eaters as they grow. It is cool to watch a cleaner climb into a triggers mouth and then come back out.

If anybody can supply a good home (and afford) a pair of crosshatch triggers, they are some of the best fish that you can own.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2005, 10:02 AM   #20
MiddletonMark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JENnKerry
Have you had one in your reef?

Some are reef-safe.
A friend has a blue-throat trigger, which seems to only hassle some shrimp/crabs.

Given many other `reef safe' fish also eat snails, shrimp, etc ... IMO as reef safe as many of our creatures.

And given many [like Dr. Ron] do not recommend all the shrimp, crabs that many put in our tank ... IMO, many shrimp, crabs aren't completely `reef safe' either.

Current Tank Info: 58g stony reef [250w10k, 250w 20k MH, 2x vho act, Octopus150, 6060 + 6000] ; 60g mixed tub
MiddletonMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2005, 10:24 AM   #21
Ereefic
Moved On

I love trigger threads.

We had a bluethroat trigger in our 120 long with a variety of fish, small and large as well as corals and a medium sized clean up crew of a wide variety as well as different shrimp. The trigger never bothered anything in the tank while it was in there for 6+ months. Unfortunately, the fish jumped out and perished.

The only problem I had was when I floated a bag with a new shrimp in it. The trigger attacked the floating bag trying to get at the shrimp. After floating the bag elsewhere, I turned off the lights and added the shrimp at the opposite end of the tank and the trigger never bothered it again.

----

We now have a new bluethroat trigger in our 110 gal. BB SPS tank. There are cerith, nassarius and turbo snails as well as a couple of peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. A clam and over 60 different SPS frags as well. The trigger has a nice little spot he spends time when not swimming about. This trigger has been in this tank for about 1 year now and the ONLY critter it eats are the stometella snails, it loves them. This doesn't bother me as they reproduce like crazy and they are still visible grazing the rocks.

----

IME and IMO, a bluethroat is a great choice as far as triggers go to put in a reef system. As long as you understand the possibility that the fish may reek havoc. But that can be said about any critter we put in our tanks.

If you were to do a search about bluethroat or bluejaw triggers, I am betting that 98% of the people keeping them in a reef environment have no problems at all.

What bugs me about this topic, and many others is that people will respond with no actual experience on the topic. Please don't say that 'they will eat this and that' or other statement like that unless you have first hand experience with a bluethroat trigger.

-----

With all that said, I would never hesitate about adding a bluethroat trigger to another reef of mine. I understand that the possibility of the fish causing problems is there, but IME chances are that won't happen.

I must go now and enjoy watching my trigger swim.

Ereefic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2005, 10:27 AM   #22
JENnKerry
Premium Member

No I have never owned one, but when an informative website says "with caution" that steers me away. That's saying that you have just as much of a chance keeping a dwarf angel in your reef as a trigger. Anything that is considered "with caution" for a reef is not truly reef safe. As I said in an earlier post, inverts are just as important and vital to a reef as corals are.

I guess I'm not one of those people that would take a chance with something like this. I like knowing that all of my animals are safe with each other.

Unread 07/07/2005, 10:29 AM   #23
VolitanLioness
Registered Member

Beautiful trigger! I added my chromis after the trigger (Pinktail) and had no problems, the trigger was 4 1/2 inches and the chromis were tiny, the cardinals I had before the trigger.

Kaye

Unread 07/07/2005, 10:43 AM   #24
Triggerfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JENnKerry
this makes no sense.
planktovores are reef safe.. if you want to keep a bunch of shrimp in a tank, then get a separate tank for them.

Triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2005, 10:57 AM   #25
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

What informative site says "with caution"?

All tangs can be coral eaters, even the "reef safe" ones. All angels (except for maybe genicanthus) can eat coral. Hermits, snails and shrimp can all eat coral too on occasion... not to mention each other. Even damsels and clowns eat baby snails, coral and shrimp. ...so is nothing "reef safe"?

Bluethroat, sargassm and crosshatch are more reef safe than any tang or angel IMO. These triggers will eat dead fish and shrimp, but don't think that they were the ones that killed them.

Here are pics of my crosshatch that has never bothered anything and my bluejaw that never bothered anything either:

jda is offline   Reply With Quote