Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2005, 09:28 AM   #1
janmadsen
Registered Member

Tunze DOC skimmers 9010 anbd 9015

Hey I am from Denmark.

Can anybody tell me how these new skimmers are preforming and are they silent?

There are only few people how are using these skimmers in Denmark, and thats why i´m asking here. Thanks!

Jan

janmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2005, 09:32 AM   #2
alrha
Premium Member

tagging along. i am interested in one too, but would first like to hear some feedback
(i am deciding between these and the Deltec Turbo 1250)

Current Tank Info: Design phase for 1200 gal Reef
alrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2005, 10:32 AM   #3
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Their are probably only about 40 in use here now, many people have probably just recieved them as the majority of the 40, came in last week. So far I have heard positive feedback. The 9010 I am running has been very quiet and it has double the performance at least of the old 3130/2. I think it will take more time to get an answer here but you might search the web using google.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2005, 10:42 AM   #4
alrha
Premium Member

Roger,
Do you have a PDF of the instructions available for download?

Unread 11/29/2005, 10:51 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Yes, I could email them to you. They are pretty bad, I didn't get a chance to proofread this one as we were to far behind and they just sent it to the printer. The directions are also missing a couple important details that I have learned from experience.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 11/29/2005, 11:05 AM   #6
alrha
Premium Member

ok, thanks.
I PMed you my e-mail address.

Unread 11/29/2005, 12:09 PM   #7
lunkerbunker
Moved On

rvitko,

can you post some pics of your 9010 in action? also what are your thoughts of the Tunze DOC Protein Skimmer 9020? do you know anyone who is running it and how has the performance been?

lunkerbunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2005, 12:09 PM   #8
lunkerbunker
Moved On

rvitko,

can you post some pics of your 9010 in action? also what are your thoughts of the Tunze DOC Protein Skimmer 9020? do you know anyone who is running it and how has the performance been?

Unread 11/29/2005, 12:13 PM   #9
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Sure, it isn't at my house or office though, I set it up at the LFS to test it out. FWIW, these guys usually rip on my skimmers and like Euroreefs and they want to stock them now and run their new show tank with the 9020. The 9020 looks super cool, I expect a couple people on here will post reviews soon, we got 7 of them last week and I opened one up and it looks really impressive.

Unread 11/29/2005, 12:16 PM   #10
lunkerbunker
Moved On

are the 9020's sold out? if so when is the next shipment?

Unread 11/29/2005, 12:51 PM   #11
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is possible Marine Depot or Premium may have them. They are stocking them. I was told that all orders I placed up to now will be shipped before Christmas. If that holds out I will get more 9020's. Keep in mind though if they ship something right before Christmas I probably won't get it until after the first of the year and the factory closes from the 24th of Dec until Jan3rd and production won't start for a few days after that most likely as usually the first days are inventory and year end tax work. Basically, I can't promise anything, January is a very difficult month for getting things in since our first shipment won't likely arrive until the end of the month. It all depends on what they get done before they close.

Unread 11/29/2005, 03:37 PM   #12
janmadsen
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply!

Roger - do you know if somebody are using them at BB tanks/are they good at wet skimming?

Jan

Unread 11/29/2005, 03:50 PM   #13
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The 9010 would be the best at wet skimming. The 9020 would probably be second best. The 9015 makes a very dry, dense skimmate. It is basically a 9010 with a bigger cup and taller riser, this allows you to open the venturi more and mix more air and the skimmate is much more concentrated. Just wait a couple more weeks and I'm sure some of the users will post.

Unread 11/29/2005, 03:55 PM   #14
lunkerbunker
Moved On

hmmm.... so would you recomend a 9010 for wet skim and anoter 9015 for dry? do you think these 2 skimmers would be overkill for a 120 heavily stocked?

Unread 11/29/2005, 04:01 PM   #15
rvitko
RC Sponsor

No, wet skimming would in theory take out whatever dry skimming would and then some, I wouldn't see why you need both, the drawback being you lose a lot of just plain saltwater that needs to be replenished. My point was, if you are a believer in wet skimming the 9010 would work, the 9015 won't.

Unread 11/29/2005, 04:16 PM   #16
ctxmonitor
Registered Member

would love to see the difference on wet and dry on the 9010 and 9015..

ctxmonitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2005, 11:23 PM   #17
just dave
11th in '11

I've got a 9005 in use(in sump) and it's a plug-n-play unit.

just dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2005, 12:15 AM   #18
alrha
Premium Member

Thanks Dave!
how long did you have that running?

Unread 12/01/2005, 02:23 AM   #19
fishrock
Registered Member

hi there,
i am also interested as to how the "tunze nano DOC" performs if anyone has anyone has any experience with it?
was thinking of combining it with the "nano filter" to surface skim and employ carbon?
thanks
adam

Current Tank Info: Aquaone UFO 880, Tunze 6045, 2 x Resun wavers, Deltec MCE 300 skimmer, Sump,DSB,fuge.
fishrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2005, 10:40 AM   #20
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I don't know about Australia but we are getting our first Nano products next week here in the states. If I were you I would get the nano reefpack, it is exactly what you plan to get plus a free magnet holder- a much better deal.

Unread 12/01/2005, 02:49 PM   #21
just dave
11th in '11

Quote:
Originally posted by rvitko
I don't know about Australia but we are getting our first Nano products next week here in the states. If I were you I would get the nano reefpack, it is exactly what you plan to get plus a free magnet holder- a much better deal.

Good .
I hope I'm getting some of that.

Unread 12/01/2005, 02:49 PM   #22
just dave
11th in '11

Quote:
Originally posted by alrha
Thanks Dave!
how long did you have that running?
A couple of months.

Unread 12/01/2005, 04:08 PM   #23
alrha
Premium Member

I made the plunge. After making this whole stink, I have decided to smell the stink first hand.

I just ordered the skimmer from Premium Aquatics. Jay assured me that I can return it within 30 days (even used) if I am not happy with it. It was not in their retrun policy on the website, but i asked him clearly and he answered me clearly, I trust them and would rely on his word. But i dont expect to return it anyway, it just makes it easier to be the ginea pig.

Thanks for all your help Roger!

Unread 12/01/2005, 05:12 PM   #24
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I will post pictures tomorrow, damn camera ran out of battery and the charger is at home. I promise I will get some pics up.

Albert, when you get it if you need help let me know.

Unread 12/02/2005, 11:38 AM   #25
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Skimmer 9015

This is how the skimmer is out of the box- ready for in tank use. Note the water line (blue squigly line) and the intake grate which can be closed to make the skimmer a plankton safe recirculating unit, anything between 90% and 20% recirculation can be set. This is also used to control microbubbles.

This is the first step in converting it to an in sump model- remove the front grate

We knock out the cap where the stand pipe will be inserted and install the sealing piece between the pump intake and the grating. The sealing piece gives us a 100% exchange of water within the skimmer- no recirculating.

Here is the result with the stand pipe installed

The last step is to change the base piece from the flat in tank unit to the one with suction cup feet. I want to note that the suction cups should not be adhered to the bottom of the sump, their only purpose is to give a sure footing that puts an upward pressure on the plate to help seal the skimmer.

Finally, here is a FAQ- what is this hole

In the skimmer the cup is a mm or so above the plate of the reaction chamber. Water serves as a gasket to force the air up and out carrying the waste. The water has to drain, this drain becomes an appendix or tonsils when used in sump- it isn't necessary but it is their. If the water draining out bothers you you can plug it, in tank though it is absolutely necessary.