Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/14/2006, 07:00 AM   #1
imbuggin
Moved On

TMCC Tropic marin coral cure & AEFW

I know there are various long threads about the AEFW. I have read them all and greatly appreciate the effort everyone is putting in to get rid of these pests.

My question is this: I know after trying many things FWE lamvisol..ect some people have had success with Trop Marin Coral Cure. I have been to scared to add any corals to my tank after getting rid of the AEFW for well over a year.

SO: For those using the TMCC for dips, has it been 100% effective? Do you turkey baste or blast the corals as well. How long are you doing the dips for? Has anyone tried to combine the dip with interceptor? Would it be best to dip in TMCC and then do a few hour treatment of interceptor?

Any and all input/experiences would be great!

imbuggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 07:50 AM   #2
poknsnok
Registered Member

I dipped my new frags in TMPCC. dosage is 1ml per 100 ml.. I totally overdosed mine, did 40ppm instead of 5 ppm. a;; are ok. now Ive read where Tropic Marin supposedly claimed it worked on red bugs too. a fellow member said he was at a club meeting where reps of TM claimed this. Im not sure about red bugs but ive read lots where TMPCC works on the flatworms.. i think it would be best to do the TMPCC for 15 mins and interceptor for several hours

poknsnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Wiskey
Registered Member

I got a frag that I knew had red bugs on it, dipped it in TM PCC and they came off. So far it has been 100% sucessfull. I can't comment on flatworms though.

Whiskey

Old 04/14/2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Pyrrhus
Registered Member

Just to clarify, TMPCC dosage is 1ml to 200ml seawater.

Old 04/14/2006, 09:42 AM   #5
CamBarr
Registered Member

tagging along

Old 04/14/2006, 09:55 AM   #6
poknsnok
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pyrrhus
Just to clarify, TMPCC dosage is 1ml to 200ml seawater.
where do you see that? not that I dont believe you but my bottle came without any sort of dosing instructions.. and I got my info from RC members

poknsnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Wiskey
Registered Member

On the bottle itself, it says to put 200ML of water in a container and put 1 squirt of TM PCC (1 ML) into the container.

Whiskey

Old 04/14/2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Hooligomy
Registered Member

Anybody see it work on nudis either zoas or montis??

Hooligomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 03:27 PM   #9
H22ATypeS
Registered Member

tagging....I'm about to setup a new tank..so i am going to nuke the heck out of my old running existing tank and use that whole tank as a QT while I'm setting up the new tank......I would love to be able to get rid of all the parasites in one shot before moving the corals over to the new tank.

H22ATypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 05:42 PM   #10
kirstenk
23.5 Degrees

Quote:
Originally posted by SharkysReef
Anybody see it work on nudis either zoas or montis??
I tried it on Monti Nudis it killed them but the dose was very strong and I had to leave them in there a long time. I think it would kill the Monti too. jmo

I use Lavamisole on the Nudis. A nuclear dose and it kills them fast (5-7 min) with no harm to the Monti.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

Reefer stabs Reefer in back over quarrel.

Current Tank Info: 150g, 58g
kirstenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 05:49 PM   #11
BraenDead
Registered Member

Anyone know where to get this product from? Seems like not too many carry it.

Bob

BraenDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 07:33 PM   #12
Hooligomy
Registered Member

Salty Critter does

Hooligomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 07:52 PM   #13
Travis
10 and over club

********** just got some in a day or 2 ago but I wouldn't be surprised if it was gone already.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Current Tank Info: 280 sps w/ 75 LPS, 75 refugium, 120 sump
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/14/2006, 09:28 PM   #14
arconom
Premium Member

Travis I ordered a Bottle from him to try. I will let you know how it goes.

arconom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2006, 01:43 AM   #15
clkwrk
Registered Member

I believe I was the first to post that it also worked on red bugs. Here are pictures from the orginal post for the bottle.

I have also found that it kills bristleworms , Of course AEFW's and se spiders (pic below)

Old 04/15/2006, 04:52 AM   #16
MiddletonMark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kirstenk
I use Lavamisole on the Nudis. A nuclear dose and it kills them fast (5-7 min) with no harm to the Monti.
What do you consider a nuclear dose?
[procedure?]

Considering adding a Montipora myself ... but having just started to believe I may have beat the nudis ... I don't want more

Current Tank Info: 58g stony reef [250w10k, 250w 20k MH, 2x vho act, Octopus150, 6060 + 6000] ; 60g mixed tub
MiddletonMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2006, 05:03 PM   #17
imbuggin
Moved On

HELP

HELP please I need to treat some coral later tonight.

IF my math is correct according to instructions 1ml of tmcc per 200ml of saltwater equals 24 pumps (1ml squirts) per gallon? So a half full bucket from salt is 73 doses??

this seems high is it correct?

Old 04/18/2006, 05:25 PM   #18
clkwrk
Registered Member

TMPCC will treat approx 10g's

Old 04/19/2006, 08:20 AM   #19
kirstenk
23.5 Degrees

Quote:
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
What do you consider a nuclear dose?
[procedure?]

Considering adding a Montipora myself ... but having just started to believe I may have beat the nudis ... I don't want more
Hey Mark,

I use one scoop per 200ml. The blue spoon is from a Sailfert test kit. Nudis show stress within seconds.

This will not kill any eggs and that is my problem as I can't see them. I have had the montis for awhile now and corals look great and grow well. YMMV

imbuggun........people in my area have found that each coral needs it own dip of TMPCC unless you can fit mutiple corals into the dip at the same time. Dip last 15 minutes only.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

Reefer stabs Reefer in back over quarrel.

Current Tank Info: 150g, 58g
kirstenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2006, 08:49 AM   #20
imbuggin
Moved On

dip

I did the dip last night per instructions (maybe a little higher). I treated 6 frags together in one container and a large stag colonies in a bucket. These are some of the first corals I dare add to my tank after being pest free for about a year.

The dose they recommend will turn the water a nice dark yellow color. Reminds me very much of a strong lugos solution. I would turkey baste the corals every few minutes during the 15 minute dip. I was told the corals had been treated and were clean before the dip. I do believe this as well but want to treat anything before it goes in my tank.

the coral didn't seem to mind the dip much at all. Little or no slime off them. Most of the colors were unaffected. 1 small frag bleached out a little. In the end there were some dead pods in the bucket maybe a sea spider or 2. I think I saw 1 regular flatworm but am unsure.

So the corals made it through the dip well. I didn't see much die off the corals but hopefully that is because they were clean to begin with!!

I definitely prefer a 15 minute dip to 6+ hours

Old 04/20/2006, 11:19 AM   #21
purplereef
Registered Member

Hey guys,
I don't want to hijack the thread but every time I use my TMPC cure I get one or two Red colored worms. They have a black line up their back and they have hair coming out the side of their body. I have tried and tried to get a picture of them but they curl up and they are so small. Can anybody tell me if they are AEFW's or just a bristle worm? Thanks in advance, Dan.

Current Tank Info: 120xl Elos.
purplereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2006, 11:36 AM   #22
imbuggin
Moved On

not

Quote:
Originally posted by purplereef
Hey guys,
I don't want to hijack the thread but every time I use my TMPC cure I get one or two Red colored worms. They have a black line up their back and they have hair coming out the side of their body. I have tried and tried to get a picture of them but they curl up and they are so small. Can anybody tell me if they are AEFW's or just a bristle worm? Thanks in advance, Dan.
not a aefw most likely is a bistle or tube worm

Old 04/20/2006, 07:26 PM   #23
MSHUR
ugust 2011

just finished my 4th treatment.....i dipped 42 corals most of them are colonies...last time ( last thursday) i didnt find any fw's or eggs. today, i killed 4 big fw's on my big milli colonie and i found some eggs as well(( of cause i cover whole base with gel glue.
after 15 min dp only 2 came off,then i desided to add some more of pro-cure and left it for 10 more min. after strong blasting with my powerhead 2 more came off. i was so upset and left this millie for 10 more min...to see what happend...i blasted every branch to see if any more of those bustards came out. i found none..
i was so happy last week...i though , i am done with this ..i guess not((
will see what happend next thursday))
i am also planning to get some arrow crabs,maybe they will help too..

mike

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2006, 09:25 PM   #24
Leopardshark
Registered Member

Guys, I´m new to this pest.
Does anyone have a pic of this flatworms? how can you tell if you have them? does all the people who has AEFW have treated with interceptor their tank before?
Does this TMCC is a better substitute than interceptor?
Man, I can´t believe that I was so happy because I´m about to treat my tank with interceptor and now I came up to this...

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Leopardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/20/2006, 09:56 PM   #25
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Quote:
Originally posted by Leopardshark
Guys, I´m new to this pest.
Does anyone have a pic of this flatworms? how can you tell if you have them? does all the people who has AEFW have treated with interceptor their tank before?
Does this TMCC is a better substitute than interceptor?
Man, I can´t believe that I was so happy because I´m about to treat my tank with interceptor and now I came up to this...
imo, interseptor have nothing to do with afw's.
if u have red bugs ,u can go ahead and treat ur tank with interseptor

mike

MSHUR is online now   Reply With Quote