Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/19/2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Stipe
Registered Member

How to frag a mushroom video *video included inside*

Hey guys,

I decided to make a propagation video on how to frag a corallimorph, and i decided to do a blue discosoma spp. in the video. If you can watch the video you can tell how camera shy i am, i was all still and stiff and my voice so blunt, i hope i wasnt too bad, comments please...

Its 23.4mb movie hosted off photobucket.

Please leave feedback on how i can improve or on anything....

direct posted

link to website

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...illamorphs.flv

"Detritus is NOT a Filter media"
"Detritus is NOT a substrate type"
"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Current Tank Info: 80gal AGA and a 1 gal hexagon nano.
Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2006, 08:12 AM   #2
Stipe
Registered Member

I just relised that they cut of the last 30 seconds, so i will fix that mistake when i have time. But you get the point.

Also i just relised how bad my english was, sorry its my second language.

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Last edited by Stipe; 07/19/2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07/21/2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Stipe
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I thought i might give you an update on the mushrooms. Ok the one i cut up in quaters and put in the tub of LR rubble, have attached and formed into hearts. This means they are almsot done in the healing prosses. Not bad for a week aye?.

The one that i cut in four and was still attached to the rock has formed fofur seperate polyps or shrooms. They are slowley moving apart.

heres a picture for those people who thought i was killign the mushroom, looks like your wrong , i know what im doing .

I am also turning my video into an article for those who do not want to watch it or thought i didnt explain enought etc.

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/21/2006, 09:27 AM   #4
tekknoschtev
Registered Member

Its funny, during the night I wake up and have a sticky note pad near my bed to write down ideas I have, and videos of fragging and other DIY things were on my list, but between school and work I havent had a chance to make it home to the tank every weekend like I used to.

Awesome video. While I've fragged a number of shrooms in my experience as a salt-water-tank-owner, its always nice to see pictures and video of the process done by others. Pictures are great, but nothing beats a video, because in pictures, steps that one might consider trivial during the process might get skipped, but in video, everything is there.

I'm excited more and more to be heading home in a week or two to work on some things like this. Keep up the good work!

tekknoschtev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Stipe
Registered Member

Thankyou very much, I too have to balance my hobby between school and work. My work is a lfs but its not my reef, thats the thing. I also have a list of Diy and fragging videos, well 1 video done, diy skimmer on the way (hopfully) and at the top of my like, build a 2000gal reef (god i want it so bad )

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/21/2006, 09:56 AM   #6
tekknoschtev
Registered Member

Haha, I agree. I work in the college of engineering, and for that matter, I'm a full time student in the college of engineering at Michigan State University. I live 100 miles away from home and the tank(s) so I get home maybe once every other weekend, and when I am home, I'm always so busy. Next time I'm home though, its fragging time so I'll just con, er um, convince my sister into recording it

Old 07/21/2006, 07:33 PM   #7
Stipe
Registered Member

Haha, i had to pay my brother with lolies to tape it for me. I'm a student at st Particks College, also my main studies are engineering. I plan to complete a course on aeronautical engineering soon.

Who looks after your tank. Me being in australia, most peopel dont even know what a reef tank is, so its harder for me .

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/21/2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Ehgemus
Registered Member

nice video, keep-em coming! I just did a ricordea shroom today, I cut it off the rock and than cut it in four pieces, how long do thay take to heal? my regular shrooms take a week and than i can glue them to a rock.

Ehgemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2006, 08:21 PM   #9
Stipe
Registered Member

they should take anywhere from 3days-1week to heal and start to form a circle. To attach, it usualy takes 1week to 2weeks. What i found is that you place your cuttings in a container of tank sand and water (that usualy goes back into your sump) and fill it with sand instead of LR rubble. The reasone for this is that they will attache to the sand anywhere rom 1day to a week, this thewn gives your the perfect opputinity to glue them on a rock.

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/22/2006, 10:09 AM   #10
tekknoschtev
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stipe
Haha, i had to pay my brother with lolies to tape it for me. I'm a student at st Particks College, also my main studies are engineering. I plan to complete a course on aeronautical engineering soon.

Who looks after your tank. Me being in australia, most peopel dont even know what a reef tank is, so its harder for me .
Good luck finishing the program! as for the tank watching, its a whole family deal. When I'm home on the weekends here and there, I do the major work (water changes, pump cleaning, reworking of the rock work, etc.) but my family takes over the day-to-day business of watching the tank for anything odd happening and they are quick to call/email me if/when something happens out of the ordinary.

Old 07/22/2006, 11:23 AM   #11
Stipe
Registered Member

lol, mine too call me but they have no idea whats happening so they would tell me, "omg i cant find that wavey coral with the bubble tenticles", "uh mum thats my anemone and i told you befor he will move where ever he wants", "um hunny theres this thousand bungs crawlign around your tank", "omg mum there natural, only bother me if a rock slides of or somthing dies or the pumps/lights fail", and it goes on........

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/23/2006, 01:07 AM   #12
Mark NJ
Premium Member

Mushroom frag video

EXCELLENT Video!!!! I have a small colony of orange shrooms and one of blue/purple that I would like to see spread over more of the rock. I never thought of cutting them on the existing rock in the main tank to encourage splitting.. And now I know what bridal mesh is.. Great job..Thanks P.S. Your English is great by the way. No worries mate!! (Thats all the Austrailian I know) LOL
Keep those videos coming. Mark

Mark NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2006, 02:05 AM   #13
Stipe
Registered Member

LOL, i try to learn to speak better everyday . The best method is cutting them on the rocks, no waiting period or them to attach, and they seperate by themselves and move apart you all you do it cut, replace and watch 10 turn to 40 .

LOL, being a wog i to do not know much aussie, even though i live here, all i know is 'g'day mate' and 'shrimp on the barbie' which i use when i want to get rid of some mantis shrimp, .

My next propergation will be a torch coral and a tree coral. Want me to do anything specific? jsut ask.

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/24/2006, 01:32 PM   #14
Brock Fluharty
Registered Member

Excellent video! One draw back to cutting them on the rock is that they could heal back into one shroom again. if you separate them, then there is nothing to worry about, except a longer period for attaching.

Brock F.

Current Tank Info: 75g aggressive reef, 20g A. percula tank, 29g H. erectus seahorse tank
Brock Fluharty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2006, 06:21 PM   #15
Stipe
Registered Member

Thats why i use tyler crosses to seperate them apart.

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/24/2006, 07:07 PM   #16
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

"tyler crosses"

Can you explain what this is? I was thinking you could use a piece of eggcrate cut down...

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/25/2006, 01:21 AM   #17
Stipe
Registered Member

a section of an eggcrate cut into a shape of a cross is what a tyler cross is. The thing about the tyler cross is its a bit shorter and works good with small corals. Eggcrate being much larger would be much better for bigger ones.

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/25/2006, 01:29 AM   #18
Stipe
Registered Member

I couldnt find a pictuer but it looks like this. I dont know if i said it proparly, it is those plastic crosses tile layers use to seperate tiles.

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/25/2006, 06:08 AM   #19
moussa
Registered Member

keep us posted wid pics stipes good work

moussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2006, 08:37 PM   #20
r0bin
Registered Member

can you do separate ricordeas this way also?

Old 07/28/2006, 12:59 AM   #21
Stipe
Registered Member

Yes you can they are jsut as simple. May i suggest thou that you only try cuttign it in half. This is since you are not as experienced in this field yet. This gives the most chance of survival. Also make sure it is a big, healthy speciman.

"Detritus is NOT a pet"

Old 07/28/2006, 09:11 AM   #22
Mark NJ
Premium Member

Hello again Stipe.. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a colony of orange mushrooms in the main tank. The rock is too big to remove and is supporting others in the mix. CAn I propagate these while they are in the main tank without removing if I can get a good position or will the mucus cause problems? Thanks
Mark

Old 07/28/2006, 09:57 AM   #23
tekknoschtev
Registered Member

In a 75, I don't think youd encounter problems. In a nano, there might (key word might) be an issue depending on what other inhabitants were in there with the mushrooms.

In our 150 we have the same situation and though originally we planned to not have corals on rocks that couldn't be easily removed, that plan failed and now its mostly the big rocks that cant be moved that have corals on them As long as you can get in a good position to cut the mushroom cleanly I dont think you'll have a problem. There have been times where I didnt have the best angle of attack and I ended up shredding the mushroom but guess what?! It just made tons more! Aint nature weird?

The bigger problem (in my opinion) in fragging in the tank is floaters. You have to be quick with the tweezers or fingers or what not to catch the mushrooms as they fly loose from the rock (if you choose that method) lest you risk spreading mushrooms to areas you dont want mushrooms to spread. We currently have a mushroom field behind some of the rockwork Make sure you turn off your powerheads too - and return pump if you've got one. That'll at least give you a fighting chance.

Old 07/28/2006, 04:16 PM   #24
Mark NJ
Premium Member

Smile

Thanks Tec. Never thought to turn off flow devices. Great info. Thanks. Now time to actually get out the blade and make frag some mushrooms

Old 07/28/2006, 07:24 PM   #25
Stipe
Registered Member

yeh what tekknoschtev said, He/she sumed it up good (a he right?)

Photos? , we WANT PHOTOS

"Detritus is NOT a pet"