Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/26/2006, 10:45 AM   #1
Runner
Registered Member

Repair cracked skimmer? (Acrylic work)

I just bought a skimmer from a fellow reefer here at RC. When it arrived, it was cracked. Apparently the pump was next to the acrylic tube and the package was squished or otherwise mishandled and pushed the pump into the outer skimmer tube. My question is, can I repair this by tracing the cracks with Weld-On #4 or the like? Or is there a better recommended method? Here is a picture:

It is a Red Sea Berlin skimmer (with the triple-pass tubes). I managed to pop the plastic pieces back to where they go and smooth it out. But there are a lot of cracks in this thing -- including one from top to bottom. The cracks are only in the outer water return section, though, which will be in the water of my sump with probably only an inch of the cracked area above the water line.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. I could still return this and initiate a lengthy investigation and refund effort through UPS, but it hardly seems worth the effort if this thing can be repaired easily.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Current Tank Info: 24G Reef cube with Cree LED DIY Retrofit
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2006, 12:41 PM   #2
AUS
Registered Member

Hi Runner,

Running Weldon 4 along all the cracks should allow the glue to wick into most cracks. I would then run a fine bead of Weldon 16 along each crack line to be safe. Won't look pretty but it will work fine and not leak.

All the best
Andy

Old 09/26/2006, 12:44 PM   #3
fade2black
Premium Member

Are you sure it is acrylic and not just clear plastic?

fade2black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Runner
Registered Member

It appears to be acrylic. I am not too sure what the materials are. What is the best way to test?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Old 09/26/2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Runner
Registered Member

According to Red Sea, it is acrylic. The cracks go all the way through wherever you see them, so I hope this works...

Old 09/26/2006, 03:23 PM   #6
pdwife
Moved On

A few years back I dropped my Excalibur and it did the same thing. My husband took an empty 2 liter Coke bottle cut off the top, bottom and cut a piece to fit the cracks. He then superglued the piece in place, running a thick line of gel around the parimeter of the repair piece and everything worked fine. It looked ghetto, but who cares, it worked! Best of luck on fixing yours

pdwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2006, 04:00 PM   #7
RichConley
Registered Member

I was thinking along the lines of pdwife.

Go down to home depot, and get a small piece of acrylic. Heat it up in the oven so it starts to get soft, and then form it to the tube. Just weld-on it on there, and you should be good to go.

Old 09/26/2006, 04:02 PM   #8
fade2black
Premium Member

I would just use some #16 like was stated before to repair it. I wouldn't start heating up acrylic in your oven just yet as that is a little dangerous.

fade2black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Runner
Registered Member

Hmmm. I have both Weld-On #4 and #16 at home, so perhaps the #4 followed up by the #16 like AUS said. They are both about 3 years old, though, so I do not know how good they still are.

Is the only acrylic at Home Depot that extruded 1/4" hobby acrylic? Or will the thin stuff like Lexan work (is it even acrylic)?

Old 09/26/2006, 05:31 PM   #10
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

Runner,
You'll be just fine with the #4, then #16 method. Especially if its only in your sump.
Once you start thermoforming acrylic, you'll be building all sorts of fun stuff

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote