Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2018, 10:42 PM   #2576
lanshark
It's Landshark, aka SNL

You’re are brave soul .... Crowbars and reef tanks are not a good combination ... Good job and happy to see the law of Murphy was not applied

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef 66"x24"x22", 20g Sump/refugium 20g In-line Grow Out tank
lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 07:35 AM   #2577
choss
Registered Member

Wow - that is really impressive to move it this way. I would have been nervous about the cabinet holding up from some lateral pressure with the weight of the tank on it but it worked out great! I wish I had a tank like that in my room when I was a kid. Nice job.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 07:57 AM   #2578
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanshark View Post
You’re are brave soul .... Crowbars and reef tanks are not a good combination ... Good job and happy to see the law of Murphy was not applied
LOL, yes... but in this case the tank was mostly empty. Of water anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
Wow - that is really impressive to move it this way. I would have been nervous about the cabinet holding up from some lateral pressure with the weight of the tank on it but it worked out great! I wish I had a tank like that in my room when I was a kid. Nice job.
Right?! Especially if you've seen how an Elos stand is constructed compared to the overbuilt things we build ourselves. Go back to the beginning of this thread to see pics of the stand. Very little of the tank is even resting on the stand. Had to remind the guys.... push the STAND... NOT THE TANK! lol

My 4 yo son is now sharing a room with his sister. His room is now the fish room and kitchen for the duration of the remodel.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 08:05 AM   #2579
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
LOL, yes... but in this case the tank was mostly empty. Of water anyway.

Right?! Especially if you've seen how an Elos stand is constructed compared to the overbuilt things we build ourselves. Go back to the beginning of this thread to see pics of the stand. Very little of the tank is even resting on the stand. Had to remind the guys.... push the STAND... NOT THE TANK! lol

My 4 yo son is now sharing a room with his sister. His room is now the fish room and kitchen for the duration of the remodel.
I do recall the description of the stand (and quality) and that is exactly what I was thinking about. I recently had to empty my tank at 11:30 PM due to a leak issue and I had to drain and remove everything. Luckily I had extra tanks running and was able to save everything down to the last snail but I will tell you I almost got out of the hobby right there. Glad this worked out for you!

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Unread 11/09/2018, 08:12 AM   #2580
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
I do recall the description of the stand (and quality) and that is exactly what I was thinking about. I recently had to empty my tank at 11:30 PM due to a leak issue and I had to drain and remove everything. Luckily I had extra tanks running and was able to save everything down to the last snail but I will tell you I almost got out of the hobby right there. Glad this worked out for you!
Ya man, i won't lie... If we had to remove everything (which I thought we were going to have to do), I was going to go through with it and get it set up in the bedroom because it HAD to be done that day so the construction could start the following day, but there was going to be some serious thought over the next few months on my future in the hobby. Don't know that I could do it a second time.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 11/09/2018, 10:18 AM   #2581
h3dgehog
Registered Member

This hobby requires so much patience...

Waiting for corals to grow, quarantining fish, moving entire setups though a home...

Nice job D

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unread 11/09/2018, 02:24 PM   #2582
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Ya man, i won't lie... If we had to remove everything (which I thought we were going to have to do), I was going to go through with it and get it set up in the bedroom because it HAD to be done that day so the construction could start the following day, but there was going to be some serious thought over the next few months on my future in the hobby. Don't know that I could do it a second time.
Ironically I was going through your reboot of the 200 tank yesterday and I was thinking - "oh my god, how did he do it!". The reason I was looking at that build is that I am thinking about my own reboot now and I may go with the separate fuge. Your documentation of the lifereef fuge is better than what they show on their site. So a couple of quick questions if you don't mind:

1). what size did you go with?
2). how much flow did you push through to get that awesome tumbling action?

Thanks as always for your response.

Unread 11/09/2018, 02:28 PM   #2583
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Me thinks it is in your blood.......

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 06:09 PM   #2584
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Ironically I was going through your reboot of the 200 tank yesterday and I was thinking - "oh my god, how did he do it!". The reason I was looking at that build is that I am thinking about my own reboot now and I may go with the separate fuge. Your documentation of the lifereef fuge is better than what they show on their site. So a couple of quick questions if you don't mind:

1). what size did you go with?
2). how much flow did you push through to get that awesome tumbling action?

Thanks as always for your response.
1) smaller than i wanted but my stand is too small. 10x16x18
2) I have around 700 gph going through the sump, but just a small portion of that goes through the fuge. I don't know what the number is.

Unread 11/09/2018, 06:23 PM   #2585
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
1) smaller than i wanted but my stand is too small. 10x16x18
2) I have around 700 gph going through the sump, but just a small portion of that goes through the fuge. I don't know what the number is.
How big was the one attached to your old system?

Unread 11/09/2018, 07:24 PM   #2586
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
How big was the one attached to your old system?
I don't recall but it was huge. lol

Unread 11/10/2018, 06:48 AM   #2587
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi, what you need to do, is leave that tank where it is, and build a new and bigger one in the old location. This way you can get new rock from Richard, and maybe buy the new GHL Mitra 7206 lights, as this will help solve your problem about having to move the tank back, and will let your son enjoy a beautiful reef tank in his room as he grows up. I wish my dad would of done that for me when I was growing up, all I had was a 20 gal. SS rimed glass tank, even though it was a very successful FOWLR tank.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 07:06 AM   #2588
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chromis View Post
Hi, what you need to do, is leave that tank where it is, and build a new and bigger one in the old location. This way you can get new rock from Richard, and maybe buy the new GHL Mitra 7206 lights, as this will help solve your problem about having to move the tank back, and will let your son enjoy a beautiful reef tank in his room as he grows up. I wish my dad would of done that for me when I was growing up, all I had was a 20 gal. SS rimed glass tank, even though it was a very successful FOWLR tank.
HA! VERY FUNNY!

Unread 11/10/2018, 12:56 PM   #2589
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
HA! VERY FUNNY!
Just think about my idea a little bit, Richard would be happy because you are buying new very high quality live rock, your son will be happy, because he has a beautiful reef tank in his room, and you will be very happy, because you get to build and an design a brand new reef tank. Just think of all the fun you will have with this new project, and just tell the wife you won the system in a raffle on reef Central.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Unread 11/10/2018, 01:40 PM   #2590
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Just think about my idea a little bit, Richard would be happy because you are buying new very high quality live rock, your son will be happy, because he has a beautiful reef tank in his room, and you will be very happy, because you get to build and an design a brand new reef tank. Just think of all the fun you will have with this new project, and just tell the wife you won the system in a raffle on reef Central.

Heh, ya I’m a monogamous reefer. I can’t handle more than one tank at a time.

Unread 01/02/2019, 01:49 PM   #2591
J.Froski
Registered Member

how full does your sump get when doing a power outage test? Im on the schedule for a CLF1 with a 120 display, just makes me a tad nervous with the capacity at 19 gallons. I know yours is a couple inches wider, so probably closer to CLF2 capacity. Just trying to gauge where im going to be from someone with firsthand experience. Cheers!

J.Froski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2019, 07:34 AM   #2592
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Froski View Post
how full does your sump get when doing a power outage test? Im on the schedule for a CLF1 with a 120 display, just makes me a tad nervous with the capacity at 19 gallons. I know yours is a couple inches wider, so probably closer to CLF2 capacity. Just trying to gauge where im going to be from someone with firsthand experience. Cheers!
It gets really full. Couple inches from the top, maybe less.
The Elos drains down quite a bit.

Unread 02/09/2019, 08:04 PM   #2593
fastrd400
Registered Member

Damn it Dennis! I had forgotten about you, and your amazing tanks. After 104 pages, I am to see you are still in the game, still enjoying the hobby, and still building masterpieces.
However, I believe you truly missed your calling. You should be doing this for a living.

fastrd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2019, 12:44 AM   #2594
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Froski View Post
Hmm - Well, it is possible to actually calculate this, and I'd highly encourage you to do the calculations first rather than test it "on the fly". Saltwater on the floor is a pain...

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2019, 08:20 AM   #2595
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Hi d2mini, any updates on moving the tank, did you move it back to it's old location? I would also like to see any new pics of your system if, you have any new ones available. Thanks.

Unread 02/11/2019, 09:06 AM   #2596
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrd400 View Post
Damn it Dennis! I had forgotten about you, and your amazing tanks. After 104 pages, I am to see you are still in the game, still enjoying the hobby, and still building masterpieces.
However, I believe you truly missed your calling. You should be doing this for a living.
lol, yup still here.
Doing it for a living would kill the hobby for me though.

Quote:
Hi d2mini, any updates on moving the tank, did you move it back to it's old location? I would also like to see any new pics of your system if, you have any new ones available. Thanks.
Nope, still remodeling.
Getting close though.

Before

Today (the blue is a protective film over the gloss white doors)

Unread 02/11/2019, 03:41 PM   #2597
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Looks really nice.

Unread 08/18/2019, 07:21 PM   #2598
premilove
The Empire

Hi Dennis! Any update? I am in the process of setting up the same tank. What is your current stock list?

premilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2019, 10:12 PM   #2599
Heuristic
Registered Member

any updates?

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2019, 02:21 PM   #2600
lionfish300
Registered Member

I know Dennis went on with freshwater planted tank

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote