Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2018, 06:50 PM   #1
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

RBTA starting to kill coral

I got a nice little RBTA, from a local person who had theirs split numerous times, Well that was last spring. My Nem is now about 8" and becoming a pain. After lights out, it will shrink to about half its size, but the longer the lights are on the more it expands and extends. I just moved a piece of SPS that I think is for sure dead. The nem doesnt move around the tank, but it sure does extend out during the day and this is causing it to sting multiple other corals.

The piece of rock that its in is very porous and its foot is way inside that rock. I cant move it any other place in my tank, due to all the other corals and who knows if it will stay there. I have the feeling its just going to outgrow its current location and my tank. I've heard of possibly using a cold spoon, I just dont think that will work and will be warm by the time I get under its body. What are my options, for possibly removing it without hurting it.

I really enjoy the nem, but my gosh its just getting so big!

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 08:56 PM   #2
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8linespeed View Post
I got a nice little RBTA, from a local person who had theirs split numerous times, Well that was last spring. My Nem is now about 8" and becoming a pain. After lights out, it will shrink to about half its size, but the longer the lights are on the more it expands and extends. I just moved a piece of SPS that I think is for sure dead. The nem doesnt move around the tank, but it sure does extend out during the day and this is causing it to sting multiple other corals.

The piece of rock that its in is very porous and its foot is way inside that rock. I cant move it any other place in my tank, due to all the other corals and who knows if it will stay there. I have the feeling its just going to outgrow its current location and my tank. I've heard of possibly using a cold spoon, I just dont think that will work and will be warm by the time I get under its body. What are my options, for possibly removing it without hurting it.

I really enjoy the nem, but my gosh its just getting so big!
Well, good luck. I am not sure how to get them to move unless they want to. You can try aiming a powerhead at it and see if it gets annoyed enough to move. If you do manage, PM me. I'm in Minneapolis. Might be interested.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 10:17 PM   #3
D-Nak
Registered Member

Your situation sounds completely normal, and is the main reason why people with SPS/mixed reefs don't keep BTAs.

Sounds like you've got a major re-aquascape in your future. The only way to remove a BTA that's "dug" into a rock is to remove the entire rock and use a hammer and chisel to break the rock apart and pull out the nem.

Unread 01/16/2018, 08:11 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

For an anemone reef, you got to have sparely populated corals and able and willing to move the coral to accommodate your anemone.
While BTA may be one of the easiest host anemones to keep, it is one of the most difficult anemone to keep in your tank and keep the tank happy. They move around too much and we (I) cannot predict where it will move to.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Jekerry
Registered Member

I got one when I first set up my tank. It killed a fish and then started to kill a coral. I just gently rubbed it’s foot at the base until it let go. It took a while but worked. Then I took it back to the fish store.

You have to rub them right at the base of the foot. I used my fingers. Kinda push into the base and as it moves away, get under the foot and just keep working it.

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 12:27 PM   #6
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for the info. I love the fact that the clowns host in the nem, and its enjoyable to watch in my tank, but I think its time to break this rock and for it to move on. The SPS that it killed and some of the others that its touching are not looking to well.

Since I have your attention, how are rock flower nems to keep?? Similar to RBTA's?

Unread 01/17/2018, 09:24 AM   #7
humphreyhh
Registered Member

RBTA starting to kill coral

Rock flower anemone is easier to keep than btas. It has mild sting, it almost doesn’t move, it wont get too big and it doesn’t host clownfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Randyz
Registered Member

If you have a torch coral place it next to the bubble tip so that they are touching. The torch has a stronger sting and the bubble tip will move. I learned this on accident

Randyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 06:18 PM   #9
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Well I tried a couple of different things to get it out of the rock. In the end I had to hammer and chisel part of the rock to get to its foot. Gentle massage of its foot for awhile and it eventually came off.

Now Im just waiting for someone locally to actually come thru and pick it up. I wish I could of moved it someplace else in my tank and knew it was going to stay there, but thats not likely.

Thanks for the info on the rock flower nems, I'll take a look into those and maybe even mini-max nems.

Unread 01/28/2018, 01:44 AM   #10
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

Do you have a breeding box or a basket you can float it in (at the top)?

Or maybe into the refugium?

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 11:59 PM   #11
Anemone
Cloning Around

Yeah, I had a mixed reef once. Then I had a RBTA species tank! If you are one of the "lucky ones" who can keep BTAs, you may have to chose between a mixed reef and a BTAs.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 09:02 AM   #12
Jtyjackson
Registered Member

I have started to throw rocks on top of mine, they sting almost any coral it comes near in my tank. I probably have lost 10 or so frags because of nem stings...

Jtyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 11:11 AM   #13
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. This is no longer an issue, the nem found a new home. I do miss having it in my tank, but it just didnt work out.

Unread 03/28/2018, 02:22 PM   #14
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Yeah, I had a mixed reef once. Then I had a RBTA species tank! If you are one of the "lucky ones" who can keep BTAs, you may have to chose between a mixed reef and a BTAs.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php

Kevin

Looks like imma have rbta species tank, I guess. RBTA came out in front where we can actually see it last wknd, it’s *huge*. I feel for the lone sps, the chalice.

Y’all check back w me in ten years...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
LauraGreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote