Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2018, 08:31 PM   #1
mhsmith
Registered Member

closed loop

My tank broke. I currently have all my live stock living in my sump, my 110 gallon quarantine tank and a 300 gallon water trough. I have to design another tank, and I need ideas on the closed loop. I think my tank cracked because of the returns in the back of the glass weakened the glass. I am considering only having the bottom drilled for the returns, but I am wondering where I should put the outflow if I want the back glass to remain intact. I am planning an external overflow. Any ideas, I am on a deadline because I have to order the tank. Dimensions are 96x36x42. Thanks for any input.

mhsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 09:34 PM   #2
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsmith View Post
My tank broke. I currently have all my live stock living in my sump, my 110 gallon quarantine tank and a 300 gallon water trough. I have to design another tank, and I need ideas on the closed loop. I think my tank cracked because of the returns in the back of the glass weakened the glass. I am considering only having the bottom drilled for the returns, but I am wondering where I should put the outflow if I want the back glass to remain intact. I am planning an external overflow. Any ideas, I am on a deadline because I have to order the tank. Dimensions are 96x36x42. Thanks for any input.

On my 300 I have two 2" inlets and two 1.5" outlets drilled on the bottom of the tank going to a reeflo dart gold pump but my tank is acrylic and not glass. Not sure how well that would work for glass specially if it cracked on the back since there will be more pressure on the glass when the holes are cut on the bottom compared to the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 11:56 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I wouldn't ever run a closed loop through the bottom of a tank. What do you do if the bulkheads start to leak? I always run them through the top of the back panel where pressure is least.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 12:27 AM   #4
kylesmoney
Registered Member

I wouldn't hesitate to drill the back again. It's how pretty much where every aftermarket closed loop and overflow drain from. You must have just had a fluke situation of some sort.

Current Tank Info: 55gallon
kylesmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 12:37 AM   #5
mhsmith
Registered Member

The bottom of the tank will be made of PVC. You can understand how nervous I am about the glass cracking. My previous tank had some of the returns in the bottom, and always it is a concern for the bottoms if they leak as well. Where the glass cracked it went from the center all the way spidering to the top and bottom, so the tank had to be completely drained emergently.

Unread 03/07/2018, 12:40 AM   #6
mhsmith
Registered Member

I wouldn't ever run a closed loop through the bottom of a tank. What do you do if the bulkheads start to leak? I always run them through the top of the back panel where pressure is least.

So how does that work if you have an external overflow?

Unread 03/07/2018, 09:18 AM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Not sure I completely understand the question? Most external overflows are plumbed through the back of the tank, not through the bottom ..... ? If you mean a standard corner overflow then, yes, they are plumbed through the bottom but not 'open' to the full volume of the tank. So if you have to service the bulkhead, you just drain down the overflow rather than the entire tank.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 03/07/2018, 09:20 AM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
The bottom of the tank will be made of PVC. You can understand how nervous I am about the glass cracking. My previous tank had some of the returns in the bottom, and always it is a concern for the bottoms if they leak as well. Where the glass cracked it went from the center all the way spidering to the top and bottom, so the tank had to be completely drained emergently.
No way to know, of course, but if the tank cracked from one of the holes, it may be that there was a small crack that happened when drilling that hole; and that crack ran over time. Have the tank maker do the holes for you.

Unread 03/07/2018, 11:39 AM   #9
mhsmith
Registered Member

The tank maker did the holes. The tank was 3 1/2 years old. The warranty was for 3 years so they would not cover anything. They said they would work with me on the price of a new tank but I am not inclined to use the same company.

For the closed loop to work separately from the main pump, if you did not put a hole in the glass in back where would you put the main outflow to the closed loop. Previously it was plumbed into my external overflow, but I was not able to keep it going when I did routine water changes. Does anyone have any other ideas without putting a hole in the glass?

Unread 03/08/2018, 08:21 AM   #10
AquaManvsSkimme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
What if a support glass is used and glued were the holes are

AquaManvsSkimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 08:24 AM   #11
AquaManvsSkimme
Registered Member

Quote:

Would it not just leak into sump

AquaManvsSkimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 04:03 PM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
The tank maker did the holes. The tank was 3 1/2 years old. The warranty was for 3 years so they would not cover anything.
I think in your case it was just bad luck then. I've had back drilled tanks last 25 years before retiring them, and wouldn't hesitate to drill one again (just not the bottom )