Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2018, 09:45 PM   #1
idan555
Registered Member

Electronic test tools?

I'm kind a tired of the API and red sea test kits. drop here, shake well bla bla...
are there on type of electronic tool to test the water just by deep the tip into the water? I know there is one for pH but not sure about the other....

idan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2018, 08:01 PM   #2
wrott
Registered Member

https://premiumaquatics.com/products...e-monitor.html

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 04:48 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

There are a small few...
What parameters are you monitoring?

There aren't "easy button" tests for alk/cal/mag,etc...
There are for salinity, nitrate, ph

Unread 08/06/2018, 10:16 AM   #4
Aquavaj
Registered Member

I don't own any but the Hanna Checkers for alk, ca, and phosphate are affordable. The ones for ca and phosphate seem to be a little iffy from the reviews though. pH and TDS are also affordable.

If you're rolling in cash and find a refractometer still too much of a hassle there are salinity monitors. I have an Apex but it'll be over $200 of add-ons just to get this working. I'll stick with the refractometer.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2018, 10:27 AM   #5
idan555
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquavaj View Post
I don't own any but the Hanna Checkers for alk, ca, and phosphate are affordable. The ones for ca and phosphate seem to be a little iffy from the reviews though. pH and TDS are also affordable.

If you're rolling in cash and find a refractometer still too much of a hassle there are salinity monitors. I have an Apex but it'll be over $200 of add-ons just to get this working. I'll stick with the refractometer.
I read a lot about hanna, many people said the result are not accurate each test. Any one have this problem before I'll get one?
I'm looking for the phosphate and nitrate...

idan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2018, 11:03 AM   #6
RioReefr
Registered Member

Personally, I have the HI dKH and Ca testers. I like the dKH one, super easy to use and fairly accurate. Sadly, I can't say the same about the Ca. It only uses 0.1 mL water sample and there lies the problem. Given the super tiny sample size, I can get as much as +/- 30 variation using the same exact water and doing consecutive tests back-to-back.

I think what you are looking for is a lab-grade spectrophotometer. If you are rich, you can basically measure everything:

https://hannainst.com/iris-spectrophotometer.html

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2018, 01:20 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

I use the Hanna checkers for dKH and PO4 (the Phosphorus one) and am pleased with the results. When I get results I am not expecting it is usually operator error.

I use Red Sea Prp for Nitrates and Salifert for Mag and Ca

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2018, 01:23 PM   #8
JP Reef
Registered Member

I am tempted to try this one out.

https://hannainst.com/aquaculture-ph...r-hi83303.html

JP Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 08:50 AM   #9
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Let me add a thought. Test kits aren't inherently accurate or inaccurate. Testers - and the procedures they do or do not follow - including calibration, cleaning, storage, etc - are where variability and bad readings come from.

Yes, there are brands or tools that are inherently easier to use, but we need to get away from the notion that if you buy a certain instrument or kit you'll always have perfect results no matter what.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote